Married

Married

It was her wedding day. It was the day that little girls dream of their entire childhoods and into their teenaged years. The day that women got to be princesses and express the love they had for the men they were marrying.

None of that mattered to Maria Burnett. She wasn't one to dress like a princess, even on her wedding day. She hadn't dreamed of her wedding day since she was a child. She didn't have to express her love for the man she was marrying. He already knew of it.

No, what made this day so special to Maria was the fact that it was the start of the rest of her life. And in that life, she'd be spending it with one man.

Charles Hunnam.

When she was young, Maria might not have thought about her wedding, but she dreamed of the man she would be spending the rest of her life with. To her, that was more important than a six hour ceremony and reception. The man would have to be kind. He'd have to be intelligent. He would have to love all of her, faults included. He would be protective of not only her body, but her heart and soul as well.

Maria smiled at the image she saw in the mirror. Her tea length dress was the color of ivory. She wasn't one for extravagant things so she had made sure the dress was made of simple satin with a pretty lace overlay. It was strapless because of the hot Californian summer and her dark curls were pulled up into a bun on the top of her head. A few stray strands dangled around her face creating a halo effect. Her makeup went as far as simple foundation and eyeliner. She didn't want to take away from the dress in any way possible.

Grabbing her boots, which would be the final part of her ensemble, Maria gazed at them. The words “I Do” were scrolled along the bottoms and with a romantic smile, she pulled them onto her feet. The boots were Charlie's idea. Although he was born in England, the man had a cowboy quality about him. When Maria had decided that they'd marry on the ranch, his ranch, Charlie had automatically wanted to wear cowboy boots. She thought it a bit odd, but being Texas born and bred, Maria agreed without hesitation.

Now she was standing in her bridal suite, waiting for the signal that it was time for her to walk the aisle to her new life. A life filled with love, hope and the very thing she desired more than anything else in world: happiness.

A knock at her door pulled Maria from her thoughts. “Come in.”

“Are you ready, hon?” Kylee, her best friend and maid of honor, said from the doorway of the bridal suite.

Spinning to face Kylee, Maria's dress puffed up then back down to her legs as if nothing had happened. Her face was full of determination and excitement. “I'm more than ready.”

Kylee's face brightened at the sight of the cowboy boots paired with her beautiful wedding dress. “Ya know- he's displaying his boots quite proudly.”

“He would.” Maria laughed, walking to her friend's side. She paused to take a calming breath then glanced at Kylee who was to her right.

Kylee raised her eyebrows up in question.

Maria smiled widely. “I'm getting married.”

Kylee laughed at her enthusiasm. “Yes, you are.”

Maria followed her best friend to where her new husband waited. A man who would love her no matter the cost. A man who would treat her with respect. A man who would protect her from others as well as herself.

A man who would treat her like a princess, even if she didn't feel like one.
♠ ♠ ♠
For guerilla.!