Ferris Wheel

These are a few of my favourite things.

I giggled and ran into the kitchen.

“Mom-”

“No. You know better.”

“Dad’s not home! I can sneak one, please!”

“Dad is home.” I laughed as he hoisted me off the ground and lifted me over his shoulder. “And you can’t sneak one, little girl!” I laughed loudly and let out a joyful scream.

“Just one cookie! It’s just one cookie, Dad!” I laughed as he set me back on the ground.

“You can have one after dinner. Go get cleaned up, baby.” I giggled and quickly ran towards the downstairs bathroom to wash my hands.

And after a delicious dinner of lasagna and breadsticks, I stood, bouncing on the balls of my feet, waiting for my mother to grant me the wish of a reindeer shaped Christmas cookie. I grinned wide at her when she handed me the deer and my smile only grew as I saw the red dot on his nose. My Mom kissed my head and told me it was time for bed.

I quickly ran upstairs, my cookie in my hand, and jumped into bed.

Christmas was in two days!


I believe that that was the last time I had a joyful Christmas. The last time that I smelt Christmas cookies baking in the kitchen whenever I came home from school.

My mother died in February, being the victim of a random and brutal killing.

My father then threw himself into his work and showed little time for me. I decided that my anger, that had formed as a result of my father’s sudden lack of care, would be best served in hockey.

It took little convincing to get my father to buy me the equipment I needed and soon I was part of the Penguins Elite hockey organization.

I was one of the best girls they’d ever seen. That’s what the coaches all told me.

But that was the past. Now 21, I’m no longer involved with hockey the way I wished I was. I ruined my shoulder in a game, the State Championship game, and the doctors told me I couldn’t play hockey anymore.

I coach now, for the Pens Elite bantam team. And I live on my own.

~~~~~~~~


“You were in here just last week, Nöel.”

“I know. But I burnt all of my candles.” Clair rolled her eyes at me.

“You and some guy. You two always buy all of the cookie candles.”

“I can’t help it, they smell so good.”

“Don’t you ever bake cookies?” She asked, ringing the fifth candle up.

“No. I don’t know how to bake cookies. Nor do I want to take time to learn.”

“You can make them from packages. You know, Betty Crocker.”

“No. I’ll just buy the candles and help the economy, ‘kay?” She shook her head at me.

“Buying Betty Crocker helps the economy too.”

“I’ll help the candle economy, okay?” She sighed and took my card from me.

“You should meet this guy,”

“Don’t try and set me up, Clair.”

“Let me finish, you brat.” She handed me my card. “He’s like, he’s twenties and he’s really good looking.”

“I’m leaving.”

“I’m telling you, Nöel. You two would be awesome together!”

“I’m gonna leave now.” I laughed, leaving the Yankee Candle store with my bag.

As I left the mall, I smiled at the snow falling around me. Winter was easily my favourite season because I loved the snow more than I could ever love the heat. I began towards my car, but someone slammed into my shoulder and I ended up dropping my Yankee Candle bag. I heard the crack of glass and I swore quietly.

“I’m so, so sorry! I didn’t even see you!” I didn’t reply to him as I bent down to pick up the five candles I bought.

“Cookie candles?” I looked up at him, ready to tell him to fuck off, but I stopped. “You buy a shit ton of cookie candles too?”

“You know Clair?”

“Yeah - at Yankee…” He smiled shyly, as if it were supposed to be a secret.

“She was right about one thing.” I chuckled, picking up the scraps of the broken lid.

“What’s that?”

“You are good looking.”

“Clair said that?” He grinned.

“She did. Look I have to go.”

“No! Let me pay for another one,” He motioned to the broken candle and lid.

“It’s fine. It’s just a tiny crack at the top. And I don’t use the lids.”

“Please?” He gave me a smile and his eyes turned a darker green.

“Fine.” He grinned at me, showing teeth.

“Come on.” I stood back up and followed him into the mall.

“So, what’s your name?”

“I’m surprised Clair hasn’t told you.”

“Well, what’s mine?” I looked at him. “Exactly. I asked her once, but she told me that I’d have to meet you if I wanted to know.”

“So, this was all really a ploy to learn my name?” He laughed.

“No. But it was a good chance.”

“It’s Noël.”

Noël? Joyeux Noël.” I chuckled.

“Someone knows their French.”

Je suis du Canada.” I smiled wider, as did he.

“Where in Canada?”

“I’m from Whitby. Ontario.” He confessed. And I had to chuckle.

“I’m pretty sure French isn’t the predominant language in Ontario like it is in Quebec.”

“No, but I’ve got teammates who speak French a lot.”

“Teammates?”

“I’m James. Neal.”

“Neal…” I licked my lips, trying to think.

“The Real Deal James Neal.”

“The Penguins.” I chuckled. “You’re the guy that buys the cookie candles?”

“I can’t cook.” He shrugged, smiling down at his feet. “Or bake, really.”

“Neither can I.” We entered Yankee and Clair looked up, only to jump to her feet and squeal.

“You’re back!”

“I ran into him. And broke one of my candles.” James chuckled.

“James, you ran into her!?”

“I was looking at my phone and I hit her shoulder. She dropped the bag and one of the candle’s broke.”

“Come on! I can just exchange it.”

“I’m gonna buy her a new one, it’s fine.” James smiled.

“If she can just exchange it, it’s fine James.”

“I insist.” Clair smirked at me and I rolled my eyes and stood beside the counter as James picked out seven cookie candles. Clair gave James the price and James slowly slid a candle over to me. I smiled, thanking him silently, and turned to leave.

“Uh-! Wait, a second!” I stopped and James fumbled with his card and bag to catch up to me. “Um-do you think that you’d - maybe - like to go out with me sometime? Like, to dinner?”

I breathed a chuckle and looked down at my feet before looking up at James.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Please? I just-Clair’s been telling me about you for a while, since the season started, and I really-”

“Clair’s been telling you about me?” She looked at me and her eyes widened.

“She never told me who you were, just about...please, Noël. Just dinner?”

“I’m sorry, James.” I shook my head and walked out of the store. I could hear James sigh and run to catch up with me.

“I just want to take you to dinner.”

“Keep wanting. I’ve got stuff to do.”

“Noël!” I kept walking, shaking my head as I did.

~~~~~~


“Come on, guys! Keep skating!”

“Coach!” I heard some of them whine.

“Keep! Skating!” They continued around the boards. “One more lap and you’re done!”

In all reality, the boys wouldn’t be done after this lap. Two of the Pittsburgh Penguins were here, which two I’m not sure, and they were gonna do a little game with the boys. I skated chilly around the center of the ice, waiting for the Penguins and the boys.

“Hey, hey! I didn’t say leave the ice!” They all groaned and slowly skated over to me, gathering around me. “You can take a knee, I just need to talk to you guys for a second.” They all listened and I smiled.

“You guys have worked really hard recently, you’ve got a little winning streak going on. So, I have a little surprise for you.” They began murmuring and whispering between each other. Suddenly, skates hit the ice and the boys whipped around and began cheering.

The two Penguins skated a lap around the ice and soon came to my side.

“Hey, guys.” Sidney Crosby. Of course they sent Sidney. But the Pen beside him wasn’t Malkin.

“How’re you guys doing?” They cheered and jumped up. “We heard that you guys are on a winning streak, so we figured it was a good time for a little visit.”

“Sid! Sid!” He chuckled, along with the still unnamed Penguin. “Who’d you bring?”

My jaw dropped.

“James, hope you guys don’t mind. Geno’s still a little injured.” I tuned out of their conversation, seeing James smirk at me. He gave me a look, telling me that this was part of a plan of his.

“So, you guys wanna play some hockey!?” I slowly skated off to the benches as the boys dropped their sticks into the middle and James and Sidney began picking their sticks out. I leaned against the boards and watched the boys adore the Penguins they were playing with.

“So, coach, what’s the game plan?” I jumped, my skate slipping and nearly causing me to tumble to the ice. James had to catch me. “Sorry,” He chuckled.

“Get off me. You’re supposed to be playing hockey, not bothering me.”

“You’re mad at me?”

“Irritated. I’d rather have Beau than you.”

“Ouch.” James sounded genuinely hurt. “That’s mean.”

“You take hits from hockey players, you’ll be fine.”

“Is this your coach façade?”

“No, it’s my ‘stop bothering me and go play with the kids’ façade.” He smirked, chuckling, and skated off towards his ‘team.’

The game was cute. James and one of my boys, Mark, got into a little fake scrum, much to the enjoyment of the team, and Sidney and James went to a shootout. Sidney’s team won.

And we were almost ready to go, but James decided to corral my team - and me.

“Hey, you guys like Coach, right?”

“Yeah!”

“Do you guys think she should go out with me?”

James!” I hissed at him, but the team laughed and called out another agreement.

“I mean, they say yes.”

“They’re fifteen and younger, they want to get on my nerves.” I hissed.

“You’re going to deny your team?”

“It’s not like I’m going to tell them what would happen on said ‘date.’”

“There’s only one way to find out.”

Christmas, Christmas, Christmas, Christmas.” The team began chanting at me, the nickname that they’d given me. Sidney, who hadn’t been part of the corralling, was standing near the bench, laughing and leaning on his stick. He began chanting with them and James grinned at me.

I rolled my eyes.

“You boys wanna do some extra work next practice?” They all fell silent. “Then go on, get changed. Your parents are probably waiting for you.” They all quickly got up and skated towards Sidney, high-fiving him as they walked into the locker room.

“I can’t believe you’re using conditioning as a tool to manipulate them.”

“You used to my team to try and get me to go out with you.”

“And it almost worked.”

“Why are you trying so hard, James?”

“Because you’re different, Noël. You buy cookie candles, you coach hockey, you don’t fall for my money.”

“Fall?”

“Just one date. And I’ll leave you alone.”

“And where would you plan on taking me?” I pushed off my skates and began skating forward, James following.

“There’s a little fair in town. And they have a huge ferris wheel.”

“And what makes you think I like ferris wheels and fairs?”

“You’re different, Noël.” James smiled. “A lot different than any other girl I’ve met.” I couldn’t hide my smile.

“So you’ll go out with me?”

I sighed. “Yes, James. I will go out with you.” He grinned at me and leaned over to kiss my cheek.

“I’ll pick you up at eight.”

“You don’t know where I live.”

“I figured I could pick you up from the rink,” He motioned up. “Since I’m sure you don’t want me showing up at your house.” I chuckled.

“Okay. Eight. Tomorrow.”

“I look forward to it.”

“I’m sure you do.” He grinned before skating over towards the benches to go to the locker room.

I now have a date with James Neal.

And here I thought my life couldn’t get any worse.
♠ ♠ ♠
The first chapter to my Winter Wonderland contest entry.

Hope it goes well! Tell me what you think, please and thank you.