Status: Please buy the book for Kindle if it does become available. If it becomes available I will likely take down all but the first 12 chapters.

Firestarter

I'm Sorry

Well, the hard part wasn’t over yet. My parents then started talking about moving in with relatives until they got back on their feet.

“We could move in with Aunt Natalie in Kentucky.” My mom suggested. “She’s always been nice.”

Yeah, but she had the brattiest excuse for a son ever. He bit me fiercely multiple times up my arm and caused multiple bloody wounds because I wouldn’t let him touch my rare Pokémon card. Hey, it was rare! R-A-R-E! Nowadays it would go for over $100 (well, it’s burnt now, but if it wasn’t burnt…man, I really wish I would’ve gotten around to selling it on eBay sooner before all this happened…)! He wasn’t getting anywhere near it! And last I heard he was still wetting the bed at nine years old. However, I bit my tongue and let my parents continued.

Until I realized something: Adeline. I couldn’t leave her here by herself. I would feel like a failure. A loser. Like I had betrayed her for my own selfish needs. Even though we hadn’t met that long ago, I knew that I needed to save her.

I had to tell my parents.

“I’m sorry, I can’t go with you guys.” I said.

My mom and dad looked confused.

“What do you mean?” My mom asked. “Of course you’re going with us. Aunt Natalie has two spare bedrooms if it’s privacy you’re concerned about.”

“No, that’s not what I mean.” I interrupted. “You see, there’s…this girl, and I…”

“A girl? Tom, there’s no time for that foolishness! Besides, you’re supposed to be forced on your studies, not-“

My dad shushed her. “Tom, I understand it can be hard breaking away from your first love, but there will be other girls.”

“When you’ve finished college.” My mom interrupted, before being shushed again.

“Just trust me on this one.” My dad said.

Wait a second…first love? Oh, heck no! They totally had the wrong idea here! Adeline wasn’t like that at all!

“She’s not my girlfriend.” I snapped at both of them. “But there’s something I need to do. Something you guys wouldn’t understand.

Which is why I’m saying I can’t go with you guys. I have to stay here.”

“Tom, you’re being insane.” My mom said.

“I’m not insane. Honest. I just…have to go.”

With that, I walked away from them. I walked away from the rubble. My mom and dad must’ve thought it was a joke at first, because they did nothing to stop me. Or maybe they just didn’t care for a second there. But as soon as I was down the sidewalk, they realized it wasn’t a joke, and my dad started chasing after me and grabbed my arm. I forced his arm off of me and ran off. My mom and dad both continued to try to run after me, but to no use. I was already way ahead of them.

“Let the boy starve for a night, he’ll be back weeping to us by tomorrow morning.” My mom hissed. Ah. There was the real mom.

I almost felt bad for them, having this false hope their baby boy will be home anytime soon; because I could sense that would not be happening.