Status: Please buy the book for Kindle if it does become available. If it becomes available I will likely take down all but the first 12 chapters.

Firestarter

Apologies

When I finally reached Adeline’s house, I rang the doorbell. No one answered. That was strange, there were definitely cars outside.

So I rang again. No answer.

Ding, dong. Ding, dong. Ding, dong. Ding, dong.

Okay, it was very clear here that someone was avoiding me. Just as I thought that, Adeline popped out of her window.

“I’m not going to open the door, stupid.” Adeline spat at me. Just as she was about to close her window again, I stopped her.

“Wait!” I yelled. “You were right!”’

“Right about what?”

“Don’t make me say it.”

“No, I wanna hear you say it.”

“About my parents, and how all they ever wanted was what was best for me! I have no idea where they are now, and as much as it hurts me to say this, I need your help!”

“As much as it hurts you? Why, because I’m a girl?”

“No, Adeline, that’s not what I-“

“What, men are supposed to be superior to women and the women have to beg them for help? What is this, a cliché superhero movie?”

“Please, I just-“

“You can forget it, Tom. Goodbye!”

Adeline slammed her window shut. Just as I thought that was the last I would ever hear of her, she opened the window again.

“Nah, just kidding. I accept your apology.”, she said with a smile.

Wait, what?! What had she just pulled on me?! How could she mess with me like that? Girls aren’t only weird, they’re tricky too.

“Come on. We gotta find your parents.” Adeline said, climbing out of her window. She grabbed my hand and ran off.

Maybe I was the one who needed rescuing after all.