Status: Please buy the book for Kindle if it does become available. If it becomes available I will likely take down all but the first 12 chapters.

Firestarter

Revelation

“Hello, Tom and Adeline. I’ve been expecting you.”

As soon as I heard those words being whispered, I cringed. It felt as if something had been breathing down my neck the entire time and I hadn’t even noticed it. I turned around to Adeline. She looked horrified.

“Tom, this isn’t funny.” Adeline said. “What are you doing? You’re scaring me.”

“Adeline, I’m not doing anything; I’m not in control of what’s going on right now, okay?”

“Yes, you are! There’s no way you’re not!”

“I am not!”

“Are too!”

“Am not!”

“Quiet!” The voice yelled again in an intimidating tone. I, not one to be intimidated, muttered a quick “Am not.” to Adeline in an attempt to rebel. I wasn’t going to be silenced that easy.

“I’d like to thank both of you for summoning me. I would’ve been trapped in that house forever if you two wouldn’t have burnt it down. How can I ever repay you?”

“What are you?” Adeline asked it. No response. Adeline repeated her question, this time a bit more fiercely, “What are you?!”

“I am the Fire Shadow Beast of the First House. And now that you have summoned me, I am angry at what kind of wasteland I have been trapped in all these years! I have put a curse on your land. Until you are able to defeat the other ten shadow beasts hidden all across the world, the world will slowly die. It will start with your house. Then your city. Then your state. Followed by your country…then finally, my favorite, the world! Mwahahahahaahaha!”

“Hey, wait a second.” Adeline said. “There are ten more shadow beasts hidden in this world?”

Seriously? That’s your biggest concern right now? I was barely able to make a sound, I was seriously freaked out. Was this a punishment of some point? Were my parents punking me? Did they find out what I really do after school and wanted to teach me a lesson? This kind of thing would be up their alley; they’re masochistic like that.

“Yes, there are; except these shadow beasts are a bit more crafty then I am, since I am just a starter shadow beast. These shadow beasts are hiding in other places, unless they all got together for some big trio, though that hasn’t happened in over 2,000 years, moving on, and as I said before, they are all over the world. Good luck, children!”

The shadow beast’s voice faded away, and the rest of the house burnt to a crisp.

“This isn’t happening.” Adeline said. “There is no way this is really happening right now. I must be dreaming. I must be-“

“I agree, this isn’t happening.” I interrupted. “Because that was a bunch of baloney. My theory is that there was someone living in that house and they’re angry we burnt it down, so they decided to pull a little prank on us.”

“Tom, there’s no way…the voice…”

“Voice disguiser.”

“It knew our names…”

“Maybe they’ve been around the neighborhood. Maybe it was my parents pulling a trick on me. Maybe it was your parents pulling a trick on you. Who knows? I’m going home.”

“Tom, wait…”

Before Adeline could finish her sentence, I was off. I had just about enough of today. There were so many confusing things all being piled in my head at once, it made me actually want to go home for once. Though I knew I had do all this stupid homework when I got there, I really didn’t care. I was happy to escape “Adeline Freaks Out: The Soap Opera”.

I walked down the street and turned a corner, until I saw what should’ve been my house.

Should’ve.

In its place was burnt rubble, and two figures next to the burnt rubble.