Status: Slowly updated, but active.

Broken Lullaby

You Want To Point Your Finger

“I cannot believe it,” Morgan spoke slowly, as Sydney drove from Matt and Valary’s house to theirs. “I just… how… why?”

“Just forget it, okay?” Sydney shook her head. “It’s not like we planned it, it wasn’t supposed to happen, but it did.” She had told Morgan the truth once they had gotten inside the car and since then the questions hadn’t stopped.

“I mean, I get it. You two have been like brother and sister for all these years, it was just a matter of time until it developed into something else, but why now?!” Morgan breathed out. “They just got engaged!” She sounded exasperated for a moment, but suddenly stopped. “Hang on, they weren’t engaged before… you and him…”

“No,” Sydney parked the car on the driveway.

Morgan slapped her own forehead and grunted in anger. “Oh God, why do I have to deal with two kids?!” She unfastened her seatbelt and faced Sydney. “Do you realize you’re both being stupid? It’s not by yelling at each other, being mad at each other and suddenly getting engaged that things are going to be okay. Have you talked to him about it?” Before Sydney could answer, Morgan snorted. “Of course you didn’t, just like you didn’t tell me the truth before. You’re the most stubborn person on earth!” She jumped out of the car.

“I didn’t want to tell you because nobody else needed to know about it,” Sydney locked the car and followed Morgan inside the house.

“Well, it seems like I needed, since I played a part in the lie.”

“You’re right, and I’m sorry about that. It’s just that I’m not proud of it, not even one bit,” Sydney sat on the sofa and so did Morgan.

Morgan wouldn’t have been shocked if that had happened five or six years ago. Back then, nothing would have shocked her. The parties were wild and their appetite for excess never seemed to seize, and touring with the boys had been the peak of all that craziness.
Back then, she just remembered weekend-long drunken binges, cocaine lines and waking up in some strangers house.
Fortunately, over the last couple of years everyone had settled down. Matt and Valary’s wedding had played a big part in it, and so had their long term relationships.

“I know you’re not proud of it,” she placed an arm around Sydney’s shoulders and leaned her head against hers. “No matter what happens, I’ll always be on your side,” Morgan let her go and looked her straight in her eyes. “But you need to make sure it will never happen again.”

Sydney swallowed hard, wondering if she was really ready to turn her back on her feelings once again. “Don’t worry Morgan, soon we won’t even remember it happened at all.”

***


The bell on the coffee shop’s door jingled, signaling Sydney’s entrance. She was, like always, in a hurry. She was supposed to be back in the hotel in five minutes, but the line that people formed to buy coffee showed her that it was almost impossible. Her eyes suddenly widened when she spotted Zacky almost at the beginning of the line.

“Hey Zack,” she smiled and seemed somewhat surprised to see him there. “What are you doing here?”

Zacky laughed. “This is my favorite coffee shop too.”

She looked around, trying to understand if he was alone or not. “Hey, can you get me a coffee? I’m really in a hurry.”

“Sure. Double, right?” He smiled when she nodded.

“So you’re here on your own?” She asked casually, wondering why she was not with Gena, or any of the guys.

Zacky simply nodded. “Weren’t you supposed to be at work?”

“Yes, I was, but this is going to be my third coffee of the day and I couldn’t stand anymore of that mild, watery coffee from the managers lounge.” She cringed and Zacky laughed. “So, how is everybody else? Busy with the upcoming tour?”

He sighed. “Yes, but I’m glad we’re touring. I don’t think I could stand another month in Huntington.”

“Why? Is something wrong?”

Zacky seemed to hesitate before speaking, his eyes looking at his feet. “I know you like Gena, but sometimes she can be a little… unrelenting.”

“Dude, girls come and go, but I’ll always be your friend,” she punched him playfully and he laughed at her boyish attitude.

“She’s been getting on my nerves lately. All she talks about is getting married, especially since Brian and Michelle got engaged.”

Sydney felt a punch in the stomach every time someone talked about their engagement. “So, she wants to get married?” Zacky nodded. “But you don’t.” He nodded once again.

“You know me, I never considered that in my life, but she keeps saying that Matt did it and now Brian is about to, so we should marry too,” he groaned. “I don’t want that, but I don’t want to lose her either.”

“What can I get you?” The brunette waitress interrupted their conversation. Zacky ordered the two coffees and a minute later they were outside the shop.

“So what are you going to do?” Sydney took a sip of her coffee. The dark liquid tasted like heaven compared to the one at the hotel.

“We decided to stay apart from each other for a while, I guess we’ll see how things will be after the tour.”

Sydney smiled, her mind already thinking of a plan to put him together with Morgan. “I think you’re right. Giving yourself space is the best option right now,” she hugged him and said goodbye. Morgan really needed her help , and whether she liked it or not, now that Zacky’s relationship was on the edge, she knew she had to push her in the right direction.

***


Sydney returned to the hotel after her lunch break. Today was Wednesday, the last day she had to hand over the list of potential employees to be transferred to Miami. She walked the long corridor, her heart beating faster as she approached Mr. Harrington’s office.
She knocked twice and a strong voice told her to come in.

“Good afternoon Mr. Harrington,” she shook his hand and handed him the file she had on her other hand.

The incredibly tall, almost white haired man signaled her to sit, his eyes not leaving the file. His face quickly frowned. “The list is not complete. I’ve told you I needed ten employees to be transferred, not nine.”

She took the seat in front of his desk. “Don’t worry, I’ve found the perfect person to be transferred to Miami, but I wanted to talk to you first before putting the name on the list.” The smile on her face revealed confidence. “Because that person is me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
And things go from bad to worse!
Thank you all for reading, hope you've liked this chapter.

Chapter's title credit: Guilty all the same by Linkin Park.