Playing House

Home For The Holiday

Adam couldn’t give a reason as to why he was on an airplane headed to his best friend’s parents’ home in Newport Rhode Island. All he knew was she asked him and the look in her eye refused to let him say No .He had only known Felicia for the last three years. They met while Adam was playing in Dallas and Felicia going to college. To keep things short they hit it off really well and had been friends ever since. Her hand waving in front of his face snapped him back to reality.

“Where’d you run off to?” She asked giving him a warm smile.

“I’m right here.” He said relaxing into his seat, “Just thinking about whether I packed everything I’m going to need.”

“Thanks for coming with me Adam.” She said resting her head on his shoulder. In just three years Adam had become the only real family she had. They lived together in Florida as she finished her last year of college after transferring from Dallas when Adam got traded.

“I should be thanking you; it’s not every day I get to meet people’s parents. It’s every man’s dream.” He said laughing.

“Stop it.” Felicia said playfully pushing him.

Please buckle up and return the trays to their original position as we ready for departure. the flight attendant said over the speaker.

~~~~

“You didn’t tell me you were loaded!” Adam exclaimed as the cab pulled up to the biggest house he had ever seen.

“That’s because I’m not, my parents are.” Felicia said paying the cab fare. She took Adams hand in hers and walked into the house as the help brought their bags in.

“Johnson, how I’ve missed your smiling face.” Felicia exclaimed giving a man in a suit a hug.

“Miss Felicia Ellen It has been too long indeed. I have prepared your room upstairs and also prepared a room for your guest across the hall.” Johnson the family butler said.

“This is my friend Adam, Johnson. Could you be a dear and show him his room while I find Mother and father?”

“It would be my pleasure, right this way sir.” Johnson said leading Adam off in the opposite direction. Adam looked over his shoulder at Felicia with a confused look, but all she did was smile confidently at him as she strode down the hall. She walked down the familiar corridor in search of her parents. Stopping outside her father’s study she listened for some sign of life behind it, when she heard her father’s voice she knocked before entering.

“Felicia darling!” He said happily as he hugged her closely.

“Father, I missed you!” She said hugging him just as tightly. “Where’s mother?”

“In the sitting room I’m sure.” Her father said sitting back into his chair behind his large oak desk. “Run along and find her before she knows you’ve arrived. You know how she gets.”

“Okay, oh and Daddy I brought a friend with me, I hope you don’t mind.” Felicia said looking at him shyly as she backed out of the room.

“Of course not any friend of yours is welcome.” He said going back to his paperwork.

Felicia did as she was told and ran off to the sitting room to find her mother. In her haste she barged into the room looking for her mother.

“Felicia what on earth are you doing running in here like this, and dressed in those clothes.” Her mother said horrified.

“Oh I’m sorry Mother I didn’t realize you had guests.” She said ducking out of the room of high society type women. Once she closed the door behind her Felicia left to her bedroom in search of solace. She didn't expect her mother to act any differently, but that didn't make it hurt any less. She was starting to remember why she never came home.

Once in her bedroom she threw herself down on to the bed ready to return back to Florida after only being home for less than an hour. She hated that she couldn't be herself and had worry about what she was wearing or whether she was interrupting a tea party. It was the main reason she went away to college. She needed the freedom it gave her.

Hearing her door open Felicia sat up quickly attempting to look presentable, but to her pleasure saw it was only Adam and flopped back down onto the bed sighing loudly.

“What are you out of caviar Princess?” Adam teased sitting down on the bed beside her lifeless body.

“HA-HA you’re hilarious.” She said her voice thick with sarcasm, “This is why I didn’t tell you.”

“So how are mother and FAHTHAH darling?” Adam said trying to sound as hoity toity as was possible.

“Will you shut up?” She said laughing at him.

“Why Felicia Ellen I’m terribly offended by your profane language.” He said trying to hold his laughter in.
“Another word and I’m gonna punch you.” Felicia said half kidding as she raised her clenched fist in the air.

“Can’t you just pay someone to do it for you?” He asked laughing his head off obviously impressed with himself.

“That’s it I’m done!” She said giggling as she tackled him. They play wrestled until he had her pinned underneath him with no escape. Felicia felt her cheeks flush red with heat. She hated how he could do this to her. The way he could make her feel with his intense stare. Adam smiled down at her warmly. Interrupted by a knock, Adam looked up to see Johnson entering. He could only imagine what this looked like, and by the expression on Johnson's face Adam was sure that it didn't look good.
The butler coughed embarrassedly before trying to apologize, but before he Felicia had pushed Adam off of her the blood continuing to rush to her face before he could even mutter a few words.

“It’s not what you think.” She defended.

“I think nothing madam,” He choked out, “I’m only here to tell you dinner will be served in the dining room in an hour if you wish to attend, and your mother asks me to tell you to dress appropriately this time.”

“Thank you we will be there.” Felicia said bursting into laughter once the door was closed, “That must’ve looked so bad, I don’t think I have ever seen him turn that color.”

“What exactly is dressed appropriately?” Adam asked raising his eyebrows at her.

“I had one of the maids lay some clothes out for you on your bed.” Felicia said walking over to the door and opening it. “I’ll come get you before dinner, you can take a shower or take a nap if you’d like.” She said looking at him as she tugged on her lip with her teeth.

“What’s got you so nervous?” He said closing in on her as he pushed the door back shut.

“It’s nothing.” She said pushing past him really hoping he wouldn't make her tell him about her troubles.

“Yea right.” Adam said rolling his eyes obviously having no intention of letting up on the subject.

“If you have to know, Robert will most definitely be at dinner tonight.” Felicia said sighing heavily.

“Who’s Robert?” Adam asked confused by her mood.

“The man I was practically born just to marry, he plans on asking me to marry him now that I’m on my last semester.”

“Why don’t you just say no?” He asked feeling for his friend.

“Because you don’t just say no in this household. I have no choice it’s not there’s someone else waiting for me.”

“You don’t have to have somebody to say no this is stupid Felicia. It’s your life.” Adam said slightly upset.

“You don’t understand.” She said on the verge of tears, “My life has already been set in stone.”

“What if you did have someone else though?”

“Then I suppose Robert would back off, my parents would be pissed but they would have to eventually accept that.” Felicia said softly.

“So what if we make them think we’re engaged?” He said raising an eyebrow.

Felicia coughed choking on his words, “Adam are you crazy?” She said louder than necessary.

“I’m serious, if this is your ticket outta here let’s do it. We’d just be pretending Fellen.” Adam said
looking her in the eyes.

Felicia smiled at here nickname he had given her oh so long ago. He seemed to only use it when he was trying to convince her of something now a days, but it still evoked a sense of fondness from her. “You’d do that for me?” she asked obviously thinking it over on her head.

“Yea I’d do anything for you.” He said wrapping an arm around her.

“I can’t believe I’m saying this but, okay let’s do this Adam.” Felicia said smiling timidly.

~~~~

Adam waited in the hall for Felicia before dinner. He couldn’t believe he had suggested this idea; it was an awful plan one sure to backfire. He looked up when he heard the door and was taken back by how beautiful Felicia looked. Her dress hugged her usually unseen curves and her hair in loose curls over her shoulder.

“Are you ready?” Felicia asked giving him a funny look.

“Oh, yea sorry.” Adam said snapping back to reality. He offered her his arm and she graciously took it as she led him down the hallways and stairs to the main dining room. Adam didn’t know how a person didn’t get lost in a house this large.

Pausing for a moment outside the door Felicia turned to him, “You’re sure about this?” She asked checking his eyes for any sign of doubt.

Adam smiled warmly at her, “I’m sure.” He said placing a soft kiss to her cheek.

“Alright.” She answered trying to hide her blush as she pushed the door open.

Adam took charge and led her to a seat as everyone around the table stared at the two of them. Pulling out her chair he helped her in and then sat beside her smiling.

“Aren’t you going to introduce me to your family honey?” He asked Felicia innocently.

“Of course how rude of me, everyone this is Adam my fiancé.” Felicia said running her hand through his hair once.

Gasps rang through the room as each of them let what she had said sink in. Felicia didn’t dare look at Robert afraid to see the hurt in his eyes. Her father was the first one to say something.

“Well Felicia you certainly know how to keep us on our toes, Adam it’s very nice to meet you.” He said smiling.

“Thank you sir, I look forward to getting to know all of you over the next few days.” Adam said giving Felicia’s hand a warm squeeze under the table.

Felicia’s mother sat there cold and resigned not saying a word to anyone or anything the rest of dinner as her father tried his best to keep things light.

“So Adam are you a lawyer as well?” Her father probed.

“Actually father, Adam’s a professional athlete, and quite a good one.” Felicia said smiling proudly.

“Oh, um well what do you play son.” Her father asked obviously displeased with this.

“Hockey sir, I play in the NHL for the San Jose sharks.”

“That explains our Little Peanuts transfer to California then doesn’t it dear?” Her father asked her mother.

“It appears to.” She said coldly before taking another sip of her wine.

“Actually Adam didn’t want me to transfer at all, it was my choice entirely.” Felicia defended.

“Oh believe me I don’t doubt it. I know you'll run after anyone with your tail wagging proudly between your legs!” Her mother said clanging her silverware down on the plate and leaving the room in a huff.

Felicia simply looked down at her plate embarrassed and hurt. She fought hard against the tears that threatened to roll down her cheeks. Even after all these years her mother words could still sting. Felicia always thought that by now she would be used to the fact she would never receive he mother's approval.

“Can I talk to you a moment.” Robert said speaking for the first time this night.

Felicia nodded and followed him out of the room once the dining room door was shut behind them she broke down, “Bobby I’m sorry, I should have wrote to you explaining my new situation, but I didn’t feel it was the sort of thing you write in a letter. When he asked me I knew it was time to come home and talk to you.” Even though she didn't want to marry him, she had known Robert since she was born and truly did care about him. She just didn't care about him in the way he deserved.

“So instead of talking to me you blurt your news out over dinner and make a fool of me.” Robert said outraged, “Felicia I love you. Can’t you see that he will never be accepted by your family?” Robert said referencing Adam.

“Don’t you dare talk about him like that, you don’t even know him. And in all honesty Robert, I don’t think I’ll ever be accepted by them either so we fit perfectly together. Tell them I won’t be back down that I’m feeling sick.” Felicia said storming off to her room.

~~~~~~

“Fe, are you alright?” Adam asked poking his head inside her room

“Yea, I’m fine.” She said.

Adam walked in and shut the door behind him before walking over to his friend lying on the bed. “Only couple days and then we can go back home, alright?”

“Okay.” Felicia whispered into the moonlit room before drifting off.

Adam took her soft snores as his cue to leave the room. Silently he slipped off the bed and pulled her covers up over her. Softly pushing back the hair from her face he took in just how beautiful she was tonight. This a was a side of her he rarely saw, usually at the apartment it was sweats and UGGs, and Adam was perfectly okay with that he never really thought about her in this way so it didn’t faze him before. Adam had to shake his head, he couldn’t be thinking about his best friend this way, it was too complicated. Slowly he crept out of her room and into his own to get some much needed sleep. He knew that keeping up an act like this and keeping his mind in check was going to take a lot out of him these next few days. Keen on getting all the rest he could he drifted off to sleep unable to keep Felicia out of his mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Posting the next two chapters hopefully tomorrow hope you all enjoy the twist I'm throwing on the movie, it's a little reversed but still has the same scheme with a few added twists.
~Sarah