Playing House

The Look In Your Eye

Adam waited at the bottom of the staircase for Felicia. He hadn’t seen or heard from her since they returned from the cliffs, and he wasn’t sure if it was on purpose. He hoped that his mistake on the cliffs hadn’t ruined their friendship and made things awkward between the two of them. He regretted trying to kiss her more because of the tension it had brought than actually regretting trying.

As he waited for her, he looked around the room taking in all the impeccably dressed people; some were talking, eating, and even dancing around the large ballroom. A small orchestra played softly to the side of the room where the people were dancing. Never in his life had Adam ever dreamed of ending up at a party like this one. He wasn’t much for the upper class having been looked at as some hurly burly hockey player his entire life. He’d been to some Galas during his career, but none of those even touched the size of this room. Adam felt even more like the small town Wisconsin boy he was, but that didn’t bother him. He was truly proud of where he came from and what he had done with his life.

Suddenly his attention was drawn towards the top as the staircase as the butlers announced Felicia’s entrance. As if from a scene from the Titanic, Felicia delicately cascaded down the stairs case in her long dress. Adam unintentionally held his breath as Felicia smiled at him warmly. She was stunning and without a doubt the prettiest woman he had ever seen. It didn’t help keep his mind and feelings in line. He wanted to kiss her hard on the mouth and take her back upstairs where he could have her all to himself.

Before his thoughts could get too carried away Felicia spoke. “You didn’t have to wait for me.” She said warmly looping her arm through his.

Adam couldn’t fight the smile that spread across his face, “Well what kind of fiancé would I be if I didn’t?” He gently placed a kiss to her cheek.

“Oh, yea right.” Felicia said weakly, “I guess that was why you waited.” She said melting on the inside. it’s just an act. she tried telling herself over and over trying not to get too carried away in her mind.

“If you really must know, I waited so that I could see your face light up when you saw me.” Adam admitted hoping she wouldn’t take it the wrong way. He knew it sounded cocky, but he was hoping she would see the sincerity in it all.

Felicia looked at him through her long lashes, “I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me happy.”

Adam grinned widely at her; of course she saw the sincerity in his words. She understood him better than anyone else ever could. She saw the good in him, and created some when there was none. There was no doubt in Adam’s mind at this moment; it wasn’t just the new scenery that brought these feelings out of him. It was seeing Felicia for who she truly was that made him feel this way. It was plain and simple, and nothing could change that.

“FELICIA DARLING!” An elderly woman called as she slowly made her way over to the couple still standing on the outskirts of the party.

“Oh hello,” Felicia said warmly, “Nice to see you tonight.”

“What you aren’t going to introduce your arm candy?” the woman asked playfully winking at Adam.

“This is Adam, my fiancé.” Felicia said protectively wrapping an arm around him.

“Oh yes your mother was telling me about this ordeal.” The woman said highly skeptical.

“Well we must be going, we’re about to miss the waltz and it’s my Adam here’s favorite. Talk later.” Felicia said turning on a dime and dragging her friend to the floor where everyone was dancing.

They faced each other just as the orchestra was fading into the next song. Felicia curtseyed and Adam bowed before there bodies fell into place.

“I can’t dance Fe.” Adam said nervously.

“Just follow my lead.” Felicia instructed as she took the lead.

They started out awkward at first; Adam tripping over himself feeling unconfident, but as they swayed he eventually picked up the steps.

“About today,” Adam started to speak.

“Just dance Adam,” Felicia said nervously, “Nothing happened today.”

“That’s a lie and we both know it.” Adam said back to her before he was interrupted by Robert.

“May I cut in for a moment?” He asked Felicia ignoring Adam altogether.

Felicia kindly obliged hoping this would end her and Adams conversation. Robert took her hand pulled her in close as he started to move them to rhythm.

“He can’t even dance Felicia.” Robert said the same hurt in his eyes from the night before.

“Bobby his dancing has nothing to do with why I love him.” Felicia said trying her best to not cause him anymore pain.

Robert simply ignored her and spoke what was on his mind, “Do you remember that summer we spent at my parents cottage before your senior year?” He asked looking off into the distance obviously in remembrance.

Felicia smiled warmly, “Of course I do.” She said softly. “We spent every night out on the docks naming stars.”

“And every morning wrapped up in each other…” Robert said pausing as he was deep in thought, “Did you really love me then or were you just going along for the ride.”

Felicia started to tear up as they danced, “Bobby I still love you, I just can’t marry you. We aren’t meant to be together.”

“Then what changed between then and now.” Robert asked not angrily, he simply wanted answers.

“I-I don’t know.” She stuttered out, she really wasn’t sure what had happened to that girl from so long ago.

“I’ll tell you what happened then, you went away and found him.” Robert said softly. “I see the way you look at him, you love him. I know only because you used to look at me that way. Like I could move a mountain, and believe me I would try for you.”

It was his words that made her feelings become real in her own mind, she really did love Adam. “Robert, if I could do this another way I would have. It’s just you deserve someone who looks at you that way. She’s out there, trust me.” Felicia said placing a tender kiss to his cheek as he held her close to him, knowing it would be the last time they would be this intimate.

Robert took her back over to where Adam had been sitting as he watched them dance. “You had better take care of her.” Robert said placing Felicia’s hand in Adam’s before walking off.

“Care for round two?” Felicia said pulling Adam over to the Dance floor as the band started up the beat to a slow song.

“Now this I do know how to do.” Adam whispered in her ear as he pulled her body in close to his.

At first Felicia was going to protest, but she felt at ease in his big arms. She draped her arm over his shoulders and wrested her head at his neck as they softly swayed to the music.

“Can I tell you something?” He whispered in her ear softly as they danced.

She simply nodded into his neck too at peace to ruin the moment with speech.

“I’d be okay never going back home.” Adam said as he moved to the music enjoying the feeling of having her this close to him secure in his arms.

“Why’s that?” Felicia said slightly surprised.

“Because…” Adam paused trying to find the courage and the right words to say, “Because I wouldn’t get to be with you like this.” He said softly as he placed a tender kiss to Felicia’s temple.

It was enough to make her blush, “You have obviously had too much to drink.”

“I’m serious, Felicia I need to tell you something.” Adam said.

Felicia lifted her head of his shoulders and looked him in the eyes, “Adam don’t do this.”

“I have to Felicia its killing me.” Adam said looking into her eyes as he swallowed the lump in his throat.

“Adam.” Felicia said this time more adamantly. “If you aren’t 100% positive of what you’re about to say don’t risk it. It’s not worth it.”

“Believe me this is worth it.” He said before he took her face softly cupped in his hands as he leaned in and kissed her passionately on the lips. Softly she surrendered into the kiss letting her hands run through his hair. The electricity he felt in this moment was as though he had been struck by lightening. HE compared this moment to winning the Stanley Cup. The same butterflies fluttered in his stomach and the banging in his chest threatened to escape at any second. HE wished it could’ve lasted forever, but timidly he felt her pull away. He looked around the room noticing for the first time that the music had stopped playing leaving them the only couple still dancing. The he looked back at her lovingly he brushed a piece of hair that had fallen in her face.

“Felicia Ellen Thompson, I’m in love with you.” Adam said smiling down at her.

Gently she pulled him back down to her for another kiss, not caring who was watching.

“I love you too Adam.” She said with happy tears threatening to spill down her cheeks.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the last chapter to my Story hope you all enjoyed!! Let me know what you all thought in the comments :)
~Sarah