Train 11 to Somewhere

”I need a ticket.” I was flushed and breathless from all the running.
“Where are you going sir?” The woman at the desk seemed bored and was more interested in filing her nails than getting me on my way.
“Anywhere, what’s the next departure?” I tried to take deep breaths to calm my racing pulse, but then it felt like I was going to throw up instead, what had I done?
The woman sighed, obviously irritated by my reply. She put down the nail filer for the moment and turned her gaze to the computer in front of her. I heard the clicking of keys on the keypad as the woman searched for the next departure. “The next train is heading towards the coast, a very rough terrain, I wouldn’t recommend it.” She looked up with dismay, apparently not a very popular route.
“I’ll take it.” Now I would disappear to somewhere no one would look for me.
It was still early in the morning, not even eight o’clock yet, and the morning commute was in full swing. People were walking past me with such a haste that I felt the breeze as they strode by. I looked down at my ticket, track 11 east it said, and I looked around. I’d taken trains before, but never track 11. It was seldom used and I guess I knew why now. The outer coast here was rough and untamed, still one of those places in the country that the rich and powerful still hadn’t invaded. There were no luxury villas or yacht clubs or golf courses, simply perfect for those who wanted to be left alone, perfect for me.
When I finally reached track 11, you could tell that the train visited the coast often. The carriages, before a beautiful white and clear blue, were a grayish muddy blue now, the colors faded by the terrain and salty winds. There were only four carriages, the smallest number I’d ever seen and it seemed that the whole train was going on its last breaths.
I was late, but one of the doors were still opened, so I quickly grabbed my duffle bag and ran towards the door. I got on and took a seat in the last carriage. There were only three other sitting in the old, dingy carriage. Most of the seats looked worn, with several missing pieces of fabric and cigarette burns or some other fluid I didn’t even want to think about. In the front of the carriage sat an older couple, quietly talking to each other, they were probably going to some of the very few bb’s out by the coast. The other passenger looked like a contractor, so he was probably getting out before the coastline began.
I sat down by the window in the back of the carriage, on a seat that looked clean and comfortable. I put my duffle in the seat beside me, and soon enough the train started moving with a loud whining sound.
I looked out the window, which was stained with dried ocean water. The commuters outside continued their stride without looking up and hurried on to their chosen destination. I closed my eyes and leaned my head on the chilled window. Immediately flashes of this morning swept through my head and I quickly snapped out of it. Don’t go there.
“Tickets?” The conductor was checking the old couple’s tickets, and I quickly pulled out my own. When the graying man reached me I gave him my ticket before he could even ask for it. He looked at me with some interest, like I was in the complete wrong place and asked: “So where are you off to laddy?” His accent was strange, and I couldn’t place it. His grey eyes looked into mine as his brittle hand gave me back my ticket.
“Somewhere.” I replied with some hesitation. I didn’t really know myself yet, but at the end of the track I guess I would know.
“If I may, I recommend to get off at Alastor Peak, just by the old lighthouse. There’s a B&B and a small shop nearby, and it’s close to some of the old houses to the village that existed there before the great storm. I think you’ll find it interesting.” The old man winked and his wrinkled face turned into a smirk. He walked away without another sound, leaving me puzzled.
“Alastor Peak I mumbled to myself before I reached for my music player and the bottle of water I’d bought at the train station. I settled into my seat again, and soon enough my eyelids started fluttering, sleep trying to take over.
The day had already been a long one for me, as I’d gotten off from a 12 hour night shift at six this morning. I remember that I was exhausted already getting into work and when my shift ended I couldn’t tell left from right.
I changed into my jeans and a white t-shirt with my old leather jacket on top.
“Have a nice one!” Reggie from my section got off at the same as me and his girlfriend was picking him up in half an hour. He was surely crashing as hard as I planned on when getting home.
I grabbed my backpack and pulled out the energy drink that I usually kept there for the ride home. I had a hard time concentrating, but if I drank the whole bottle I might make it all the way home without stopping.
Outside I took a few deep breaths, trying to clear my head, but I still felt quite slow. I still walked over to my bike. The parking lot was just filling up with cars from the morning shift employees. I saw some familiar faces and greeted them, envious of their energy for this new day.
I slipped my helmet on and started the bike, heading for the exit. I felt the dreading claws of sleep grab me, so I was anxious to get home quickly. I headed out in the light morning traffic, knowing that the horrible morning traffic wouldn’t start for another 30 minutes. The drive towards the city went without trouble and I was mostly driving on instinct, knowing the way by heart by now.
Just a few blocks from my apartment building I felt my eyes starting to give into the sleep I felt was taking over my entire body. There was only that last set of traffic lights and I would smoothly drive into the parking lot beside the apartment building.
The lights were just turning red, but as usual I drove on anyways, knowing that the camera mounted next to it wasn’t working. Suddenly it felt like everything slowed down to almost a complete stop. I hadn’t noticed the car to my left, speeding straight towards me as the lights for him turned green.
The driver in the black SUV hadn’t noticed me either, but at the last second when my bike came into view, the other driver made a harsh 90 degree turn to avoid me and with full speed drove straight into another car that was moving through another set of lights in the next intersection.
At that point I was pulling over by the side of the road, my heart in my throat and my pulse racing, the sleep completely forgotten. With a straight vantage point, I saw the SUV drive straight into the driver side of the small, silver sedan. The crash sounded like a bomb went off, glass shattered and in one horrific moment the silver sedan started moving sideways, flipping twice, shattering all its windows before coming to a screeching the ceiling of the car facing the pavement.
There was smoke everywhere.
I stood by the side of the road for what felt like ages, completely paralyzed.
Suddenly the driver side door of the SUV swung open with such a force that the hinges on the trashed door came loose. The driver, a tall, muscular man, limped out. I could tell from the distance that he was injured, but I couldn’t see how badly.
The man fell to the ground twice, but all the time he kept walking towards the other car. There was no movement near the silver sedan, just shards of glass around it, and smoke coming from somewhere within it. The car had collided with the side of a building to the right of it.
I stopped breathing for a while as a cold fist of fear clenched my racing heart. The third driver was injured badly, probably worse than I could imagine. I should help that person, or call for help.
What I actually did was the coward and criminal thing to do, I quickly drove away.

I woke with a jolt, tasting blood. I’d bitten the side of my tongue in my sleep. The memories from earlier this morning washed over me with renewed anguish and the guilt I felt was overwhelming me.
What did you do Josh?
I took a few deep breaths and looked out the window, only to be startled that the city landscape had been replaced by a wilder terrain. There were trees and rocky hills as far as the eye could reach. In the distance I think I could spot the ocean, but I wasn’t sure.
I looked around in the carriage, and as I guessed before, the contractor wasn’t onboard any longer, but the old couple still remained, no new passengers had gotten into our carriage.
Another few hours rolled by, and at some point I fell asleep again, this time without any nightmares or memories of this morning. I woke again when the train started slowing down, and still rubbing my eyes of the sleep I looked out to see that we were pulling into a small station. Just before the train halted completely, a sigh came into view and with faded lettering it read “Alastor Peak station”.
I felt my heart skip a beat and with the few seconds I had to make up my mind, I got to my feet, having decided to try the old man’s advice.
The older couple were already on their way out the carriage, when I quickly followed them.
Jumping out, I landed unsteadily on my feet and wobbled a few steps before stopping. I looked around and realized that the station, once in steady use, now stood abandoned and hadn’t probably seen a good day in years. The station building had boards nailed over the windows, and the once red paint had flaked off in several places.
The couple spoke a few words to the conductor a few feet away, and were most likely heading towards the waiting car by the exit. The conductor glanced my way and smiled before I turned my back to him and walked away from the station in the opposite direction from the waiting car. I wanted to be alone before deciding what I should do out here.
I hadn’t packed much to take with me, I had my phone and laptop, which I didn’t know if I’d get to use without some kind of power source, and those seemed rare out here. I had my jacket, a few t-shirts and an extra pair of pants.
I’d emptied my account, which didn’t hold more than a couple of hundreds at the moment, so I probably would need to find some source of employment if I decided to stay here longer. I wasn’t going back to the city, and I didn’t know if the police was involved. Probably, it had been a serious accident. I shook of the thought and kept walking.
A couple of miles later I stumbled upon the main road, and following that for another mile I saw the B&B the old man had mentioned. I took a deep breath and walked inside. The B&B was a simple farmhouse, converted into separate bedrooms for customers to rent.
There was brown haired woman standing by a small desk, talking to the older coupled I’d shared the train carriage with. She looked to be in her fifties and she was smiling as she thanked the couple and gave them a key. The couple walked off, up the stairs to the left of the small desk.
The woman focused her attention on me, frowning in surprise. “Can I help you? You look like you’re lost.” Her voice was soothing and I stepped closer, dropping my duffle on the floor by my feet.
“Uhm… Well, kind of. But I need a room for a few days.” My voice was a bit unsteady and I was fidgeting, nervous by the glances the woman gave me.
“You seem awfully young to be stuck out here.”
“Well… that might be the case yes.” I tried to laugh, but because of my nerves it sounded more like a cough.
“Hmm…alright.” The woman still looked skeptical, but she reached for the notepad in front of her, and handed me the pen she was holding. “Write down your name and number, room 4 is free.”
I wrote Josh Fairbanks, deciding to skip my real last name, just in case. My number I felt like I had to give the right one, in case she would check it. She handed me the key and explained that my room was at the back of the house on the first floor. I had a door to the back porch, own bathroom and a power outlet for my computer.
“There’s also internet access, but it’s usually quite slow. Breakfast is served at seven to nine, lunch at 11 to one and dinner from five to eight. Enjoy your stay.” The woman gave me a final glance before I walked over to my room.

I slept straight through lunch and most of dinner before finally waking, yet again to some horrible nightmare. I still had the same clothes on from this morning. I decided to take a shower and get back to bed again, but the growling sound from my stomach told me to go for dinner instead.
So I raked my hands through my disheveled dark hair and walked over to the dining room. There were four tables, of which three were occupied. At one table sat the old couple from earlier today. The second was occupied by a man in a dark suit, who looked just as misplaced as I felt. At the third table, next to a great fireplace sat the woman who had checked me in, talking to a man who looked like he was her husband. They looked relaxed and laughing at some private joke.
I walked over to the fourth table, which was empty for now. The table was set for one, so I guessed it was for me. As soon as I’d sat down, the woman by the fireplace stood up and welcomed me. She seemed a bit more relaxed now, not so suspicious.
She took my drink order, and walked towards the kitchen, which was sealed off by a wooden door. A few minutes later and older woman came in, and her resemblance to the younger woman was so visible that I guessed this was the reception woman’s mother.
“Here dear, a good portion for a growing boy like yourself. My name is Dora, and I hope you will find your stay here a pleasant one. Don’t you go bothering about my daughter, Daisy has always been a bit too sassy for her own good. Make sure you go visit the lighthouse by the cliffs while you’re here, it’s so peaceful to look at it. And just say the word and I’m a make sure you get to look inside.” Dora kept rambling on, so I just kept smiling. Soon enough she left me to eat my food, a plate of roasted potatoes and salmon.
After I’d finished I quietly left the dining room and headed back to my room. I took a quick shower and pulled on a pair of shorts to sleep in. Even though I’d slept most of the day I quickly surrendered to the utter darkness that sleep would provide for me.
The brightness of the rising sun woke me early the next morning. My phone had been charging during the night and the screen read 6.05 when I decided it was just as well that I got to my feet.
It was already getting warm outside, so I kept my short on and just reached for the t-shirt that I’d worn yesterday. With bare feet I left my room though the back door, only to find myself standing a few feet from the beach. I could see the cliffs Dora had mentioned the night before, and with nothing in mind I started walking the couple of miles it would take to get to the lighthouse.

I’d stayed for just about two weeks and my money was running out when Dora spoke to me again at dinner. She usually came up to me during dinner to exchange a few words, but always left me to my dinner afterwards. This time though, she sat down opposite me and started the conversation with: “So Josh, how long were you planning on staying here?” She seemed cheery, so I stayed calm.
“I don’t know, haven’t thought of it. I really like it out here.”
“Ah, just what I like to hear. I have a proposition for you. What about you start helping me with some things around here? I’ll can’t pay you much, but you can stay here for free. You seem to be quite low maintenance if I may say so.”
“Oh, uhm… well, don’t you have someone to do that for you already?” This was unexpected.
“So far it’s been David who’s helped around here, you know, Daisy’s husband. But he’s leaving for the city now that his vacation is over, and usually I take care of things myself, but I’m getting older and now that you’re here I thought I should ask. I’m sure Daisy won’t mind.”
“Um, alright. Why not? What is it that you need me to do?”
“Excellent! Dear boy, it’s mostly garden work and some cleaning and fixing the house. Also, if you don’t mind, to clear out some things at the lighthouse. I really like that old thing and I’m afraid that without some care it will completely vanish.”

...
At the end of the week a storm rolled over the coastline and was heading towards the B&B. I helped Daisy and Dora to clear out the backyard the entire day while getting ready for the storm. The old couple was still staying over, but the man in the business suit had left a few days ago. A new couple had checked in last night so there were four guests, not including me staying while the storm would rage ahead.
That evening after dinner I headed out in the rain after yet a tough night and work filled day. I was tired and felt anxious, not only for the stormy weather around me, but because I’d managed to find an old newspaper from last week, with an article about the accident I’d caused.
The driver of the silver sedan had been a woman in her late twenties. She hadn’t died in the accident, but she was severely injured and was still in the hospital. The article also mentioned that the driver of the black SUV was doing alright and the police had questioned him. The police were now hoping for clues about the motorcycle driver, about me.
I’d been restless ever since, and with the storm brewing I felt the storm inside me flutter to life.
I ran down the coastline, the rain hitting my face with a fury. It was dark outside, and soon enough I felt the suppressed energy leave me. Just as I was ready to head back only to suffer through another sleepless night, I heard a scream that turned my blood into ice.
I quickly turned back towards the cliffs, to see a dark figure hit the water beneath the cliffs. I could see someone trying to reach the surface, but I never saw anyone hitting the surface. I hesitated for just a second before I kicked off my shoes and ran for the water.
I swam until I reached the place I’d seen the person fall. I dove down a couple of times, before I felt my hand grabbed onto a piece of fabric. The body was still, and fearing the worst I quickly grabbed the left arm of the person in the water. It was a girl, her long hair flowing in the furious waves.
I reached the surface and swam back towards the beach. It took all my strength I could muster to drag the girl to the shore. She wasn’t moving, and her chest wasn’t rising. I froze again, she wasn’t breathing.
With shaking hands I reached for her, and started to resuscitate her.
It felt like I went on forever when the dark haired girl suddenly started couching up water. I thought she would be alright when she again stopped moving.
“Breathe god dammit, breathe!” I yelled, completely wiped out. I kept hitting her chest, hoping to get the water out of her lungs. My lungs burned and all my muscles strained, but kept going. Again she spat out more water and I carefully sat her up.
“Thank God.” I mumbled. The girl startled me by turning onto all four and suddenly she started vomiting.
I quickly got to my feet and exclaimed: “My God! Are you alright?”
The girl collapsed on her back, just a few inches from her own vomit. She wiped her mouth with her wet sleeve and stared up at me. Her chest was heaving with shallow breaths, but at least she was alive. Her dark eyes stayed focused on me until I felt uncomfortable. There was something with this girl that got my attention. I couldn’t stop staring. Even soaked she looked beautiful, and her presence calmed my nerves.
The girl carefully opened her mouth and I could hear a faint thanks leave her lips.
Suddenly the silent darkness was pierced by a loud yell: “Allison! WHERE ARE YOU? Allison!”
The girl’s head jerked towards the source of the sound. Allison. Her name was Allison. It was all I could think off before my flight instinct kicked in. I couldn’t stay, I had to leave quickly. I gave Allison one final glance before setting off in a fast sprint.
I hope I’ll meet you again Allison.
  1. Track 11 to Somewhere
    Day 14 of the countdown to Christmas