Status: sadly/happily complete

Days Like These

Ch 13

It was terrible Friday morning when Kellin found himself sitting at the doctor’s office. It was raining, he was scared and he was nervous. Katherine sat next to him, rubbing his knee softly as he leaned onto her shoulder with tears running down his face. He closed his eyes and willed himself not to think but it was hard.

“I don’t wanna be here.”

“I know sweetie, but it’s the only way to make sure.” Kellin was about to reply when the bell went off, signaling someone came in.

“Yeah, hi, I’m here to pick up some pills for a Mrs. Vivian Fuentes.” Could Kellin’s terrible Friday get any worse? “Kellin, is that you?” apparently it can. “Hey, how’ve you been?”

“Um, I’m good. Just I think I’m sick.”

“Oh. You know we miss you right.” By we, he knew that Mike meant Vic

“Mikey.” Kellin whined. “Don’t just, not today ok? I’ve had one hell of week and talking about is going to make it worse.”

“Sorry.”

“Sir, here is the prescription and Mr. Quinn; we’ll be taking you in now.”

“Do you want me to go in with you?” Katherine asked as Mike walked to the counter.

“No. I’ll have them come get you when the doctor is about to start.” Mike and Kellin met halfway in the waiting room and hugged each other bye.

“Michael.” Katherine said as he was about to leave, causing him to turn and look at her. “Depending on what happens to Kellin he may need you guys now more than ever.”

“Is he ok?”

“Yeah but things may be changing either for the best or for the worst.”

“Yeah, then we’ll be there for him. We’ve always been there for him.”

“I know and I’m so grateful for you boys. So what are you guys doing next week for Thanksgiving?”

“Mom doesn’t want to do anything big. She says she’ll buy KFC and call it a day.” Katherine let out a laugh.

“Smart woman she is. Oh! Look at me! Your mom must be waiting for you and I’m keeping you form leaving. My apologies.”

“Nah, my mom dropped me off here because she had been called to the hospital and she needs to get her meds. My aunt is in labor and she called for her to be there.”

“Well, if you’d like, you could wait here and I’ll give you a ride home.”

“If you don’t mind. I don’t want to walk in the rain.”

“I wouldn’t have asked if I did mind.”

“Ms. Quinn, you’re being requested.”

“Ms. Quinn? Like Kellin’s last name?” Katherine paused mid step with terror in her eyes, but Mike couldn’t see it.

“Uh, yeah.” She said shakily. “I’ll be back in a minute, just wait here.”

*

“Hello Kellin, hello … ?”

“Katherine.”

“Hello Katherine, I am Dr. Holtz. Let’s get to then shall we. The nurse has it written that you’ve been having nausea.” Kellin nodded. “Anything else?”

“I’ve been having headaches too but that’s about it.”

“Any other medical issues?”

“I’m taking pills for depression and anxiety.”

“How long have you been taking your pills?”

“About a month.”

“Ok, the headaches and nausea may be linked to dehydration but just to be sure, I want you to urinate in this cup and leave it in the cupboard over the sink.” Kellin took the container, and walked out the room, leaving the doctor and Katherine alone in the room. “Have the pills been giving him any side effects?”

“No. he seems the same, almost like they have no effect on him.”

“You do know that the pills may affect the fetus if he is pregnant.”

“What do you mean?”

“The baby could be born with a single or multitude of birth defects. Assuming there is a baby there and he if he is taking the pills.”

“If?”

“I’m not saying he isn’t, because everyone reacts differently to them, but if he’s not taking them then that may be the-.” The door opened and Kellin walked inside. “Now I’ll send you down to the lab to get some blood work done then we’ll come back here to do a sonogram.”

Once the blood work was done, Kellin was back in the room while the doctor made sure the machine was working.

“Are you nervous?” Katherine asked.

“Yeah. I don’t know what to expect.”

“If you could please lift up your shirt, Kellin.” That’s when he hesitated. They’d see. Sensing his hesitation, the doctor smiled with sympathy in his eyes. “Kellin, we aren’t here to judge you ok? We’re just checking to see if we have a fetus in there.” Lifting up his shirt, Kellin felt exposed. “Now this might feel cold so I apologize beforehand.” The doctor squeezed the cold, translucent gel on Kellin’s stomach, making him pull inward. “Now let’s take a look.”

*

It was 3rd period and Vic doodled on his notebook while the teacher droned on about hydrolysis. He felt his phone buzz in the pocket of his sweater. It was late November and it’s quite nippy outside.

From Mikey (-_-‘) : so I saw Kellin at the dr …

To Mikey(-_-‘) : is he ok ??

From Mikey (-_-‘) : yeah but his mom said that we gotta be there for him bx something about something being life changing Idk really

To Mikey (-_-‘) : his mom ?

From Mikey (-_-‘) : I’ll tell you when I see you

Vic didn’t bother responding and instead sat there in his seat while terrible scenarios played in his head. He was tempted to text Kellin but the fear of being ignored was sitting heavily in his stomach. Kellin was already ignoring him in real life and it hurt.

Maybe it’s for the best though. Maybe ignoring Kellin and pretending he isn’t there would make it easier for everyone around them. Kellin can get his own friends, Vic can stop crushing on him and maybe he can mend whatever he had with Alex. After all, Alex still claims to love him and Kellin was just rebound. That’s all he’ll ever be.

When the bell rang, Vic walked to his locker and saw Alex standing there with a group of guys. He remembered one of them was guy from the party who had hurt Kellin. He was going to confront him but then remembered that Kellin now means nothing.

“Hey babe.” Alex replied with a smirk. “Where’ve you been?”

“Hi. I’ve been busy.”

“Where’s Kelly? That is his name right?”

“It’s Kellin and I don’t know where he is. He’s a grown boy, I don’t need to know every damn thing he’s doing.”

“Oh, trouble in paradise?”

“What do you want Alex? I have a class to get to.”

“It’s a free period.”

“I’ve got homework to finish.”

“Well,” Alex said as he walked behind Vic and wrapped his arms around his waist. Another guy that had a red bandana wrapped around his head to have his hair pulled back took out a phone, almost as if he was taking a picture of them. “I can think of some other things that require things to be finished.” He said as he nipped at Vic’s neck.

“N-no.” Vic stuttered out. “Alex, come by after school and we’ll talk.”

With that being said, Vic closed his locker and walked off.

*

“Can I use your bathroom?” Mike asked as he looked at the knick-knack’s that Kellin had lying around his room. He’s seen them but not seen them.

“You don’t have to ask.”

When Mike walked in, he stepped on something. Looking down, he saw a pregnancy test box. There was at least five lying on the floor, each open and empty. Picking it up, he opened the door and stared at Kellin.

“What’s this?” The color drained from Kellin’s face as he stared at Mike in horror. “Is this why you were at the doctors?”

“You, you can’t say anything Mikey! Can’t tell anyone especially not Vic!”

“Are you gonna tell him?”

“I-I don’t know.”

“Kellin, is it his baby?”

“What the fuck! Are you serious?” Kellin yelled

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. It’s just … tell him.”

“When?” Kellin said quietly. “I’ve been ignoring him for the past month. I doubt he’d want anything to do with me.”

“Well, wanna go there now? It’s four so he should be home.”

“Can you help me? If I do it alone … I won’t do it if I’m alone actually.”

“Yeah ok, let’s go.” They slipped on their shoes and told Katherine they’d be back. Walking the short distance to the Fuentes Residence, they entered the house and walked up the stairs. Opening Vic’s door, Mike said, “Hey Vic we ne-.”

There was Vic. With Alex. Making out.

They all heard the footsteps running down the stairs and the front door slamming shut.