Status: will be updated whenever I get inspiration

The Fear of Falling Apart

twelve

Robin lay in the empty bed, the white sheets covering her hips as she lay in one of her many oversized shirts. In the Moses basket next to the king-sized bed was Mae, the infant sucking on her mitten as she dozed off to sleep. Sniffing every so often due to the cold that she had caught. One arm was tucked underneath her head as Robin watched the latest news updates. The man on the television going on about how the Egypt was still fighting over their prime minister or whoever the hell was in charge. Her phone rested in her other hand as she sent a ‘Goodnight’ text to Tom, like she did every night he was away. Yawning, she went to move and grab the remote as her phone rung, the ‘A Loss For Words’ ringtone going off as she moved quickly, hopefully not disrupting her babies sleep.

“Hello?” She murmured as she answered it, not really checking the caller ID but hoping that it’s Tom. Instead, she was greeted by noises, sex noises to be exact. A high pitched groan and a low pitched moan combining to make a sound that made her want to cry. Pulling the phone away from her ear, she looked at the caller ID, seeing her fiancées name on the screen, a picture of the pair of them behind it as she bit on her lip to stop the tears from falling from her eyes.

“Shit, Haylee.” Tom’s unmistakable voice came as she covered her mouth, confused as to why she was still listening, but then she realised that she couldn’t pull herself away from the device. It was almost like something had switched in her body that made her relieved. But as ‘Haylee’ whimpered out her partners name, the slapping of flesh stopping as she hung up, she sat up. On cue, as if Mae had sensed her mother’s distress, the five month old began to cry as Robin climbed off the bed, scooping her child up and gently rocking her.

“Shh, shh. It’s okay. Mummy’s got you.” She soothed as Mae began to calm, wrapped in a pink and white baby grow as Robin found her white fleece throw, wrapping Mae inside a cocoon of warmth before placing her on the bed gently, a pillow either side as she began to pack a bag. Simple things, underwear, nappies, a change of clothes for the pair of them. She couldn’t bring herself to lie back in that bed and sleep another night there. Changing from her pyjama shorts and into a pair of jeans, she grabbed a hoodie, pulling them both on before picking Mae up again. Placing the bag on her shoulder as she grabbed her phone, heading downstairs.

The car drive was silent, Mae falling asleep in the back within instants, the car seemingly soothing her as Robin rested on hand on the steering wheel, the other propped up on the door as she sniffed every so often, wiping the tears away from her eyes as the roads were clear. The time being little after one in the morning as she prayed that Summer was awake. She knew that she was home, the hockey player having a few days off as she rested up from an ankle injury. As she headed up the final street, she felt nothing short of an idiot. She had trusted Tom on his constant ‘business’ tours, only for him to throw it back in her face by drinking and sleeping with god knows how many whores.

Grabbing Mae and their overnight bag, she shut the car door behind her. Her feet crunching on the gravel as she silently prayed more that Summer would be awake. Curving her free hand into a fist, she knocked on the door, once, twice, three times before waiting. Nothing. Repeating her knocking, she waited again, shifting Mae as she continued to sleep before the door was pulled open. A very tired and exhausted looking Summer at the door, her hair messy and pulled up into a pony tail as she wore a long t-shirt and some random grey shorts.

“Robin? What are you doing here? It’s like.. I don’t know time. It’s too fucking early.” The tired female murmured as Robin couldn’t help but let more tears fall from her eyes. Summer quickly took in her best friends appearance, noticing the bloodshot in her eyes and the bag on her shoulder. As well as Mae in her arms.

“Fuck, it’s serious.” Summer whispered as she pulled Robin in quickly, minding Mae before shutting the door behind her. It wasn’t even a minute before Robin began to cry, sitting on the sofa and resting Mae to her left, a cushion either side of the infant. As she sat next to her, Robin began to cry even more, Summer wrapping her arms around the blonde girl for comfort as she continued to sob her heart out. The hockey players mind confused as to what had actually happened.

“Tom, he cheated.” Robin managed to choke out about half an hour later, Summer’s body going stiff as she let the words sink in. A large sharp breath being inhaled before she rubbed Robin’s arm gently.

“Cunt.” Summer cursed quietly, due to the baby in the room as Robin choked on another sob, Summer kissing her best friends temple in a sisterly manner.

"You can stay here for a while, if you'd like." Nodding, Robin gave her a weak smile, thanking her gently.

"No worries, anything for you." Although Summer couldn't keep the concern from being shown in her voice at the fate of her best friend, who's world was currently falling apart.