‹ Prequel: Grass Green Moon White

Cold as Winter

Are you Okay?

I wake up to knocking. I jump up and rush to the door. My heart feeling exhilarated.

Alex stands there, with his bright eyes behind another pair of shades. He stares at me, his eyes under the dark lenses and I glance down to see my purple snowflake pajamas.

I look back up and he rubs the back of his head. I glance at the dusk sky behind him, the forest still sleeping and the world at a peaceful rest.

"Do you mind if I come inside?" His voice is deeper than I remember, and it pleasantly and lightly echoes in my head and across the walls.

"Sure, come on in. What's up?" I say resting on the edge of the sofa opposite him. My brown hair sways at my shoulders and I pull it to one side of my face.

His heart is racing. He kicks off his shoes and I walk bare foot behind him to the living room area.

"What happened? Are you okay?" I stand and glance out the window and heighten my hearing for any coming attacks.

Alex motions his hands to me that nothing is wrong.

"No, it's okay. Just sit down. I'm just shocked to see you right here and you know, the whole idea of becoming alpha is just dawning on me." Alex runs a hand over his short brown hair and I notice that he must've gotten a haircut since last night.

I laugh. All this trouble with Charlotte and now he remembers he's the alpha?

Alex glances at me, like a trance. He smiles at me. I scrunch my eyebrows a little bit.

"You do realize you had the right to be alpha as soon as you met Charlotte right?" I say crossing my arms over my chest.

Boys. Do they think second and act first?

"Charlotte, you mean Charlie? Why does everyone keep bringing her up?"

Oh, not a good idea. What was it that I told Mike when he was having trouble with his mate? He had calmed down. I had said something about remembering that the future could always be different, the past we should curtain over and the present was ours to mould. Something about remembering who you are.

It had been a good speech, especially coming from me, someone who didn't have much life experience, let alone experience in love.

"Listen, don't worry about..Charlie. The present is yours to take, that's why today is called a gift." Shoot I said that wrong. It's today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

"Okay?" He tilts his head to the side and his eyebrow shoots over his glasses.

Great, now I'm confusing him. I can't have another couple be ripped apart in front of me. No, no, they probably are having a rocky start. They probably are just trying to get through school and she's busy with her job. They can't find time together. I should just remind him to believe in himself.

Grandpa always used to tell us to know our center. To know who we are, and remember, that no avalanche of life could change who we are inside. Oh God, help me.

I touch the snowflake necklace around my neck and plop on the three seater leather couch.

Alex presses his lips together. Now it was my turn to be confused.

"So, it's about four in the morning and nothings wrong?"

"Well, I just," he sighs. "I just don't know what to say. I'm sorry. " Alex throws his shades on the glass table and drops his face into his hands.

I rush to his side and keep my voice to a comforting warmth.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm here if you want to talk."

He laughs, almost nervously.

"That's the problem, I'm no longer capable of normal speech." he growls into his hands.

I glance at his teeth, sharp and white, his face muffled beneath his hands, and something he isn't telling me.

"Alex, just talk to me." I grab one of his warm hands and pull it down beside me.

His brilliant blue eyes spark silver. His strong jaw line, his handsome strong features, the slight dimple in his cheek I never noticed appear to me so clearly.

"I'm-" Electricity sparks through our gazes.

My hand warm from when I took his.

I gasp and cover my mouth with my hands. He reaches for my hand and I pull myself away. The warmth nevertheless calling me.

"This can't be happening." I shake my head, my hair flying over my face.

"Listen, I don't know what you did to her, but you can't just go around finding new mates just because someone new shows up! You have to go back to her!" I scream.

Alex stays seated, his face confusion, his arms open as if he dropped them from a hug.

He stands and covers me in his arms and my tears soak his shirt.

"It's okay, everyone is fine, I'll even go check-" He whispers into my ear.

I push him away, my alpha strength and hard training enough for me.

"Just get out." I breathe.

His arms droop and he sprints from the guest house in seconds.

I shut the door and turn on the living room lights.