‹ Prequel: Grass Green Moon White

Cold as Winter

Milkshakes

We spend the day like a newly wedded couple, exploring the sites, getting to know each other and laughing. Chuckling. Giggling. Grinning. Our jaws aching but our smiles unwavering.

Drew has his arm draped over my shoulder and we are drinking vanilla milkshakes from what seems to be the best ice cream parlour in this town.

Silence for us would keep breaking with laughter. We begin walking near the diner where Charlie works, I sniff out Alex and glance at Drew. I pull his arm from over my shoulder and usher him towards the diner. Once inside I drop his hand.

We walk inside and catch a glimpse of a few older men drinking coffee, a university student clicking away at a laptop and Alex, resting in a corner both watching Charlie serve the men more coffee.

Charlie watches us stride towards Alex, a look of confusion and interest.

"Hey Bro, I thought I'd come check this place out." Drew says, sliding in the both across from Alex.

I glance at them together, so similar yet so different.

"Why Drew and why did you bring Maria?" Alex keeps his glance on me slightly alarmed and very critical.

The real question: Does Drew know about Charlie?

Alex glances at Charlie who is speaking with the cook. Then he glares at me.

"Alex, stop looking at her like that." Drew almost growls.

Alex looks back a little shocked dropping his critical glare.

"Alex, you wanna tell me something bro?" Drew says glancing at Charlie, they catch each other's eye and Charlie quickly disappears into the kitchen.

"Drew, listen. We'll talk later man." Alex says glancing at me.

Drew gives Alex a look.

"Okay, okay. Listen, don't get too shocked, but I've found my mate." Alex looks at Drew, uncertainly.

"Bro, I'm okay with you being Alpha." Alex squints at Drew.

"You're okay with it?"

"It's nature's course, we find our mates, we take our place. It's how things are Alex, don't fight it."

"Okay, somehow you're cool with this. I'm not going to even ask...So, what now?"

"So aren't you going to introduce your brother to your mate?" Drew says motioning to Charlie.

"It's Charlie. There is no project man, I'm just trying to get her to like me. I feel like there's something wrong. Something holding her back. She won't accept my help, mom or dad's help. No one. Hannah keeps telling me she needs my help, but whenever I turn around and try, she just shuts me down."

A troubled teen. My senses peak out and I focus on everything I know about Charlie thus far.

Her withdrawn personality, her lack of trust even in her own mate, her anger, the rage that burns behind her eyes, the weakness of being alone for too long and the love she feels for Alex. She reminds me of my grandmother.

Charlie marches towards our table. She glances at us. She nods at me in acknowledgement.

"What can I get for you?"

"Hey Charlie, you know my brother Drew, and Maria from yesterday."

"Uhh, yeah. Hey guys, what's up?"

"Drew, Maria this is Charlie. My mate." Charlies eyes go round and the pen and notebook freeze in her hands.

"Nice to meet your Charlie, you're a welcome part of this family." Drew says.

He's pretty charming.

"Oh, thank you. I guess?"

"So, what is she doing here again Alex?" Charlie says, frustration billowing off of her.

Drew takes my hand and puts our clasped hands on the table. Alex stares and then claps Drew on the back.

"No way!"

"Charlie, Alex, I'd like to introduce you to my mate. This is Maria Pines of Winter Woods. I guess that makes us Betas of two different packs eh, sugar muffin?"

"Uhh, don't call me that." I say and nudge Drew's arm.

"You're his mate?! So, how long has it been?" Charlie says and slides into the booth next to Alex.

I glance at Drew and we count down the hours since we met.

"We met at, about four this morning, it's about eight now. That's about fifteen, sixteen hours." Drew says.

"Yeah, sixteen hours sounds about right sugar muffin." I say.

Drew grunts in disgust.

"You're right that name sucks." Drew says.

Alex stares at us.

"How can you two be, so..." Alex starts.

"...in love?" Charlie finishes.

"Because..." Drew begins.

"We trust each other." I say.

Alex and Charlie glance at each other, their faces questioning.

"Drew I think we should head back" I say.

"Okay, see you two later." Alex and Charlie continue to glance at each other.

Drew salutes Alex.

We walk back to the ice cream parlour get into the car and speed away.

"Do you think they'll be okay?" Drew says fingering the tips of my hair as I stare into the setting sun.

"Yeah, I can feel it. They have to be."

"Yeah?"

I grin.

"I escaped being alpha once, now we have to make sure it doesn't happen."

"I dunno Maria, I think it would be pretty sweet." Drew says with a grin, I give him slit eye and he chuckles.

"I'm only kidding."

"No one should ever want the demise of others just for their own increase in status." I whisper.

Drew looks at me with his beautiful blue eyes glowing in the setting light. He slows down to the speed limit. He takes my hand.

We drive on in a comfortable silence.