Status: Hiatus

Forgetting Kelly Grace

First Date

Our first date. I’ll never forget it.

She didn’t want to go on a date. She said, “I wouldn’t mind hanging out with you, but why do you call it a date? Dating is for insecure, hopeless romantics.” I told her I wouldn’t mind taking her out and buying her lunch. I was raised for the formalities - I’m supposed to be a gentleman at all costs, especially when it comes to people I care about.

Eventually, we came to a compromise. I swapped the word ‘date’ for the term ‘hanging out’. We wouldn’t go anywhere expensive, and she would pay for herself. To hang out with Kelly Grace, those were the agreements.

We met at a Panera Bread in the heart of the city. I remember exactly what she was wearing, which booth we sat in, and what we ordered. Our first meeting was perfect, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Kelly and I talked about politics, supernatural beings, animals, and almost anything that could come to mind. We’re both democrats - strongly so. Kelly was raised by republicans. My family also shares beliefs very different than mine, so we bonded with that. I believe supernatural beings could very well be real, but Kelly believes they just make good stories. I love animals as pets. Kelly loves animals just a little more than I do. She’s vegetarian, wishing she could give up cheese and become vegan. With every word she said, I was at attention. I’ve been with a lot of girls, but I’ve never felt as interested in any of them as I’ve felt with her.

Leaving our first date, I knew Kelly was special. I wasted no time texting her and telling her just how much I loved our date.

She texted me back almost immediately, reminding me it wasn’t a date. I was hooked.