Status: One and Done

Two Hearts

One/One

James Neal paced the downstairs of his house nervously, waiting. He had circled from the living room, through the kitchen and back into the front hall at least a thousand times since she had gone. That was five hours ago. It was nearing midnight and he had thought she'd be back by now.
The more time that passed, the more anxious he became. He peeked out between the blinds every time he passed through the living room, checked out the front door when he stopped there in his circling.

He should have never had her come see him for Christmas.

~*~*~


James stopped pacing sometime around one. That was when he started calling her. Call after call for half an hour until they started to go straight into her voice mail. He growled lowly, throwing his phone onto the couch beside him in frustration. Then he picked it up again and called Paul.

"What the fuck, Neal?" Paul mumbled. "It's one thirty in the morning and we have a game tomorrow."

"She's not back yet, Pauly," he stated simply.

"She's a big girl. She'll be back when she's ready."

"But!"

"Go to bed, Nealer. If you stop waiting up, I bet she'll even magically appear."

"I'm calling Crosby," James complained as he hung up. He dialed his captain and counted to ten as the phone rang in his ear.

"Are you okay? Did something happen to you? Were you in an accident?" Sidney answered, his questions coming rapid fire.

James sighed. "I'm fine."

"Then why are you calling me so late? I thought this was an emergency, that you were hurt or dying or something. We have a game tomorrow."

"Your first concern was the game and the team, wasn't it?"

"I'm the captain, James. It's my responsibility."

"She's not home yet."

"Okay?"

"Not okay! She left at seven and it's almost two! She's not home! And she won't take my calls either."

"What exactly do you want me to do about that?"

"I don't know! Something captain-y!"

Sidney sighed. "She's an adult, James. I'm not pulling the captain card on her." James grunted. "Just go to bed. I'm sure she'll be back soon."

"I'm calling Geno," James responded. He hung up on Sid and dialed the Russian, hoping for more support from his line mate.

Geno answered with a laugh. "She not home, is she?"

"No," James frowned.

"Suck it up, butterball."

"Buttercup. The expression is suck it up, buttercup."

Geno laughed again. "Yes, that," he answered before hanging up on James.

He stayed up until two before finally going up stairs to his bedroom and crawling between the sheets. He left his door open, listening for her to come home, tossing and turning.

He never heard the door.

~*~*~


James face was etched in a permanent scowl the next day. He glared at everyone that dared to look at him and he took all his anger out on the Flyers, laying out any member of the opposing team that got in his way.

"Drama queen much?" His girlfriend Molly teased as he stomped into the family lounge after the game. She smiled up at him, her brown eyes shining and teasing before hugging him around the middle. "Loosen up, Neal. She's an adult."

"She's my baby sister," he spat back angrily.

Molly giggled. "She is your sister but honey, that ain't no baby." She gestured across the room where Rebecca Neal stood in black leggings and boots, her hair pulled into a swingy ponytail. The outfit was topped off with a white Penguins jersey, a woman's cut that ended at her hips, emphasizing her small waist and pert backside. The name on the back stared back at James and he scowled harder at it.

James grumbled again as he looked over at her. "I swear to god, Borts! If you're checking out her ass, so help me god!" He started towards the group but Molly grabbed his arm, stilling his movements.

"I wasn't!" Robert Bortuzzo protested proudly. "I swear I wasn't, Sunshine."

Beau Bennett smiled at his friend. "I know you weren't."

Becca rolled her eyes and turned to Beau, her back to James, the Bennett across the back taunting him as she leaned in close to whisper in his ear. James again started towards her but Molly grabbed hold of his arm and pulled him to the door and out towards his car.

"I told you not to invite Beau this summer,” Molly said once they were out in the parking lot.

"He wasn't supposed to ask out my sister! It's like against the code."

"You're not fifteen anymore, James."

"She's my sister, he's my teammate. You aren't supposed to cross that line."

"It's sweet. Do you not see how perfect they are together? Beau cares about your sister; he cares a lot. And he's a good guy."

"He's a hockey player."

"So are you and I stupidly agreed to marry you next summer."

"That's different."

"Oh please, do tell."

"You're not my sister."

Molly laughed. "Let it go, Neal. She's happy, he's happy, I'm happy. Even your mom is happy. Just be happy for them. They're simpatico, babe."

"Simpatico my ass. This is horrible," James whined.

"I suggest you get used to it and soon."

"Why?"

"Because I told Bex to invite Beau over for dinner tomorrow night before she heads back to Whitby."

"Mols! You're supposed to be on my side. You’re my fiance.”

“Babe, I’m team love. And your sister is happy with Beau. They actually have a lot in common and Beau is good to her. If you’d take a minute and stop hating the poor kid for even looking at your sister, you’d see what everyone else sees. Two people who care about each other, who understand each other, and are in sync with each other. I’m pretty sure Beau knows,” she paused and giggled. “Beau knows,” she muttered. James frowned. “Sorry,” Molly continued. “Beau knows if he hurts your sister, he has you to deal with. He is not going to mess that up, trust me.”

“Why are you so sure about him?”

“Because he’s a good guy, in spite of his being a hockey player. Hell, you were a straight up man whore and I still fell in love with you. Beau isn’t even the slightest bit slutty. Just a hockey player.”

“I still don’t like it.”

“Fine, James. Don’t like it. But you’re gonna miss out on being a part of your sister’s life if you don’t get over it already.”

~*~*~


James sat sullenly on the couch, the TV on a football game that he was only half watching as his ears strained to hear everything from the other room. Molly and Becca were cooking together in the kitchen and Beau had offered to help as soon as he had arrived. Molly had welcomed him into the kitchen and every few minutes he could hear their happy voices and laughter.

“James!” Molly called out. “Food’s ready.”

He stood, grumbling to himself as he walked towards the dining room. The room was rarely used, even after Molly had taken great care in choosing the right table for the space after she had moved in last year. Becca and Beau were already seated beside each other and Molly sat across from them, smiling serenely at the young couple. The three chatted away with each other as James sat, barely acknowledging his presence.

Food was passed around the table, lasagna, garlic bread, and salad and James piled his plate high, opting to stuff his face instead of adding anything to the ongoing conversation in the room. He watched Beau interact with his sister and listened as the two most important women in his life (not including his mom of course) laughed at a story he told. That was when he saw it.

They had just finished eating and Beau reached for Becca’s hand and squeezed it affectionately, smiling down at her before answering a question Molly asked him about his rookie initiation to the team the year before. His arm slid around the back of her chair as Molly and Becca laughed at his tale.

“Are you in love with my sister?” James blurted out as he eyed Beau suspiciously.

“Jay!” Becca exclaimed, her face flushing red in embarrassment.

“It’s okay, Becca,” Beau spoke up. He leaned in and kissed her cheek sweetly. “Yes, James, I am in love with your sister.”

James eyes narrowed. “I don’t like it.”

“That’s too bad,” Becca retorted as she stood. “Let’s go,” she said to Beau.

“Bex, please don’t leave. Your brother is just being stubborn,” Molly said.

“I like him, Jay, okay? Like it or not, Beau is my boyfriend, and maybe he’s going to be my boyfriend for a really long time, maybe he won’t. But for right now, this is what I want. It’s not about you; it’s about me and Beau and we like each other. And I'm in love with him too” She turned to Beau with a smile. “I love you, Beau Bennett.”

Beau stood with a grin and hugged her. “I love you too, Rebecca Neal.”

James groaned and threw his napkin down, pushing back from the table and standing. He moved towards Beau and grabbed him by the collar, forcing him back against the nearest wall.

“James!” Molly and Becca yelled in unison. Becca tried to push in between them as Molly grabbed for James’ shirt, trying to tug him back.

“I’m not going to hurt him,” James said, looking back at the two girls. “I’m not going to hurt you,” he told Beau. “Unless you hurt her. I will murder you and bury you in my backyard if you hurt her. Because she’s my baby sister and she means everything to me. And I know by looking at you that she means everything to you right now too and it better stay that way. I’m watching you, Sunshine. I’ll always be watching you....but you have my blessing to date my sister.”

“I understand,” Beau nodded. “You don’t have to worry, I promise.”

“We’ve been dating since September, Jay. Way to get on board three months later,” Becca added.

“September?! How come nobody told me?”

“Because we all knew you’d be an insufferable jerk about it,” Molly laughed.

“I’m not a jerk,” James muttered.

“Yes you are,” Molly and Becca replied before dissolving into giggles. James eased his grip on Beau, taking a step back from the other man.

“Am I jerk?” he asked him.

“Only when it comes to your sister,” Beau answered.

“Good answer, kid,” Molly smiled. “But just wait until you have to tell the rest of the Neal brothers that you’re dating their little sister.”

Beau paled at the thought and Becca squeezed him around the middle. “Don’t worry, Bennett; Jay is the toughest one to deal with and you passed with flying colors in my book.”

“As long as you think so,” he smiled.

“We’re going for ice cream. You guys want anything?” Becca asked.

Molly shook her head. “We’re good. You guys have fun. Don’t forget your flight is at ten tomorrow morning.”

“I’ll be back by midnight,” she promised as she hugged Molly. “Have I mentioned that I’m so glad that you’re going to be sister and that James has you?”

“Maybe a time or two,” Molly smiled.

Becca kissed her brother's cheek next and hugged him. “You’re lucky she said yes.”

“I’m lucky she even gave me the time of day, just like Beau is lucky to have you,” James replied quietly.

“Love you, big bro.”

“Love you, little sis.” She took Beau’s hand and he smiled, waving politely as Becca dragged him out of the house. When the door closed behind them, Molly turned to James.

“I told you.”

“Okay, maybe you were right,” James admitted. “I still don’t like it though.”

“You’ll get over it, probably around the time they get married.”

“MARRIED?! Are you out of your mind?! I'm calling Sid right now to pull rank on Bennett!”
Molly doubled over in laughter as James pulled out his phone and called Sidney on speakerphone.

“Sid, I need you to call Beau and tell him he can’t date my sister,” James said as soon as he answered.

Sidney sighed. “I am not pulling the captain card on Sunshine.”

“Why not?”

“Because it’s not my sister.”

“It could be though. What if it was?”

“Beau isn’t Taylor’s type and she's too young for him.”

“So is Becca!”

“They’re the same age, dumbass!” Molly called out.

“Exactly,” Sidney agreed. “The kid treats her like a queen, what more could you ask for? Just think about it. Do you really want her to end up with some dumb fuck local in Whitby or Beau Bennett, who you can keep a constant eye on?”

“I didn’t think about that.”

“You never do. That’s why you have Molly. Hi, Mols."

"Hey, Sid!" Molly returned happily.

“You know Beau is a good guy, James," Sid told him. "And its pretty easy to see that the two have something special.”

“That’s what Molly keeps telling me.”

“Take a look for yourself and see. Okay sure, they’re nineteen year old kids but they're not dumb and naive. Becca knows what she signed up for dating a guy in the NHL and Beau knew what he was getting into by going out with a teammates sister. And they still took the risk. They complement each other.”

“Maybe you’re right.”

“I’m always right.”

“Later, Sid.”

James pocketed his phone and followed Molly upstairs to their bedroom. “Do you really think Beau is good enough for her?” He asked as he pushed the door closed.

“I think Beau is plenty good enough for her,” Molly replied. “I would’ve never told her to go for it if I thought otherwise.”

“You told her to go out with him?!”

“I did,” Molly replied calmly. “Because Beau came to me for advice first.”

“He did?”

“Yes. Because he knew you wouldn't like it but he liked Becca. They had been talking, ever since he visited during the summer and he wanted to ask her out for real. So we talked and I knew Beau was sincere and I knew he’d do right by her. Then I talked to Becca and figured it out pretty quickly. Their hearts were looking for each other. So I told them both to go for it and that I’d deal with you when the time came.”

“And how were you planning to deal with me?” James asked as he pulled off his shirt.

Molly smirked and walked towards him, tugging at his belt and pushing his jeans down his thighs. “Blowjob.”

“Guess they weren’t the only two with hearts looking for each other, huh?”

“You complete me, James Neal,” Molly winked as she sank to her knees.

“Oh no; you complete me, babe.”

“Then this is unnecessary?” she gestured towards his half hard cock.

James grinned devilishly. “Oh no, that is still very necessary. Blowjobs will solve all the worlds problems, including mine.”

Molly shook her head and giggled. “I knew you’d say that.”

“Two hearts that beat as one.”

She rolled her eyes. “Quit while you’re ahead, Neal.”

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
I really wanted to do something a little different than an expected love story and when this idea came to me, I ran with it. Really hope you enjoyed it as much as I do and that you enjoy the little twist.

I had an impossible time trying to figure out how old James' sister is though. Based on the ages of the brothers, I assume she is around Beau's age but maybe shes younger, I'm not sure. For my fictional purposes, I made her the same age. :)