Getting over Homelesness

2. Gerard

I walk around a little longer, the ache in my stomach almost unbearable. It started to rain a while ago, now my greasy, overgrown black hair is sticking to my pale face. My nose, cheeks and ears are numb along with fingers and toes. I have nowhere to go. It's early in the morning, about six am. People are starting to wake up, even go to work. It's not started getting light yet. The sun is still sulking below the horizon.
Shops and cafe's will start to open soon. That's probably my best bet. Some take pity on me and let me in away from the cold, others are stuck up and want me gone because I draw away customers. I don't blame them, I wouldn't want a fucking ugly, smelly, dirty guy like me stinking out the cafe. I'd shove me out of the cold. I dislike cafe's anyway. The judgemental, awkward looks. The diversion of eyes as everyone tries to avoid me, pretend I'm not there.
My heart sinks as I realise I'll have to beg for money today. It's one of the most embarrassing feelings. Dreadfully humiliating. Having to sit on the pavement, asking for money. But it's better that starvation I guess.
My heart sinks even further into my stomach as I realise I'll have to skip meals today too, if I want to get art supplies. This feeling brings stinging tears to my eyes and a sick feeling in my stomach. I need food today.

As the light starts coming up, I find one of my favourite little cafe's. I smile weakly at the serving girl, who I've never seen her before. Last week Josie told me they were hiring an extra on her shift because it got so busy on Monday mornings.
I walked over to my usual seat, next to the window where the rain was drizzling down the window in a miserable fashion. Slowly making their way to the ground. The sky is a light grey colour, tinted pink
Where the sun is making its way up.
I hear a small cough, and look up to see the new girl and Josie. Josie gives me her dazzling smile as she chirps "Gerard, I haven't seen you for almost a week, what've you been up to? " without giving me room to answer she goes on "this Is Catherine, she started here last Friday you know? Oh, Catherine, this is Gerard. He's one of my favourite people and one of the best artists in the world you know?" She smiles at both me an Catherine before sitting down and motioning for Catherine to do the same.
Catherine smiles at me shyly, introducing herself again. "Hey, you can call me cath." She has a calm voice, she's almost the opposite of Josie, who has long blonde hair, and is the happiest, most energetic person i know. Cath has chin length, volumed, spiky dyed red hair and big dark almond shaped eyes. She has a calming smirk and a low voice.
As Josie goes to tend to the other customer starting to walk in, demanding their coffee's, cath stays at my table and we talk for a while. My stomach grumbles and she goes over to the till, makes me a cup of tea and a cheese toaster sandwich with a doughnut on a plate. I thank her, as she hands me the food and makes herself some. And I meant it, I was truly thankful of the kind but simple gesture she showed an almost stranger.
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, they'll meet soon.