Buried Feelings

Welcome Back

I woke up the next morning and realized that the game was actually on Saturday. So now I had two days of agonizing over what could happen. My day in court had gone well, my client took a plea and I had the rest of the morning off, after I had called Carly on my way in to work and told her about everything she had suggested I Google him to see what he has been up to. Her advice had been, "we all know how slippery of a slope he is for you, maybe it is best that you get some grappling hooks in case it get's dangerous."

Of course my best friend would use a mountain climbing comparison for Kris and I, but it made sense. I sat in front of my computer, unsure if this was a line I was crossing. What if he got an alert that I searched him? What if he took that the wrong way? I got so lost in my head for a few minutes that when I finally shook it off I realized how ridiculous I was being, of course Google doesn't call Kris Versteeg to let him know his ex-girlfriend is googling him, of course not, Kae.

Google turns up a lot news articles about the trade, a few about a charity event he did in Florida a few weeks ago, and a link about his girlfriend. My interest is piqued, so I click. Turns out it is the same blog that I was once featured on when I was his girlfriend, except instead of a picture of me, there is a picture of him in a suit. He looks amazing, he's filled out in a few years, he looks more manly, if that is possible, but there is not girl on his arm. I scrunch my eyebrows and read the article, it talks about how since July 2010 Kris has never been seen with the same girl twice, never has confirmed a girlfriend, and even those "close" to him mention that he has not been serious about anyone in years.

"Interesting. Very Interesting." I say out loud to myself, glancing around my cube to make sure no one else saw what I searched or heard what I said.

With my background search done, I get back to work and start thinking about lunch, Jimmy Johns, or Potbelly?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get the text right before the game starts, "If no OT, wheels up and the on the ground at midnight, call you when we land."

I almost want to say nothing, and just call a car company to pick him up, but I told him I would pick him up so I respond,

"Sounds good, good luck and welcome back :)" not sure why I throw the smiley face in there and when I get his response, I know it was the wrong move.

";o)" That is all I get back. Forever the clown.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They lost, horribly. 7-2 being the final score, I remember how he was when we were together and they lost, he was always the sore loser. I braced myself as I sat in my VW and hoped that he had outgrown that phase, otherwise he would be taking a cab home.

He has his hockey bag slung over his shoulder, he is wearing a navy blue suit, with a crisp white shirt and a deep red tie. I sigh, looking at him and I see his hair is short like I loved and he is sporting a few day old beard. If we were together I would already be half naked and in the back seat waiting for him, but I shake that feeling off. "NO." I tell myself, like a bad dog who is misbehaving.

He puts the bag in the back and hops in the front, "Sweet ride, I didn't peg you as a VW girl but the Tiguan is a nice ride. But I am starving," he exaggerates the word and rubs his hands over his stomach. "Let's go eat somewhere, on me." Sending me a wink at the end.

I roll my eyes as we begin to pull out of the parking lot, "Kris, I am tired and have no desire to go out to eat, I am wearing my pajama pants, and the only place I eat in these is in my condo."

"Great, let's go there. I will make us some omelets!" He reaches over for a high five and I just throw a side glance at him, "Come on! Loosen up, you know how great my omelets are! And after we eat I will take a cab back to the hotel and leave you to get your sleep. Scouts honor." He says, as he crosses his heart.

"That only works if you are a boy scout, Kris." And with that I turn up the music, it is Wake Me Up by Avicii and before I know it we are both singing along to the song, dancing in our seats, as I head in the direction of my condo.