Buried Feelings

Power Play

Monday is a nightmare, we are short a handful of people and now my court call has doubled, I nearly forget about the game before a text from Kris reminds me, “Still coming tomorrow? Need to throw some tix at will call.”

I want to go to the game on Tuesday, not for Kris but because I need a fun night away, but I quickly realize that I won’t be leaving the office until at least 7pm everyday this week making it impossible for me to make the game.

“Not going to be able to make it, sorry.” Hopefully he will just accept it and move on, I don’t want him to think I am trying to get out of having dinner with him but I can’t do it tomorrow.

"Are you trying to avoid going out to dinner with me, Michaelagh? ;o)" It's like he can read my mind, I smile to myself and shake my heard.

"No, no, no! Work is nuts and weeknights right now consist of me not getting home until 8pm :(" Is that too playful? Too flirty? I can’t figure out how to just be a platonic friend with him sometimes.

"Fine prove it to me. Two tickets will be at will call for Fridays game. Be there...or don't I guess haha" And I opt not to respond and get back to work.

The next few days fly by and before I know it Carly is picking me up for the game. Kris had let me know that he left two tickets at will call for me and had suggest I bring Carly since he remembered her being a big Hawks fan. Luckily she agreed not only to come to the game but to be my ride down there since she had no intention of drinking because of her new holiday cleanse.

We get to the United Center about 30 minutes before puck drop and I give myself a once over in the reflection of the windows, I didn’t have a ton of time to get ready but I looked okay. I spent more time picking out which sweater to wear than I did my makeup, ultimately I decided on my Sharp sweater that Abby Sharp had given to me for my birthday a couple years ago rather than my #32 Versteeg sweater. After waiting in line for a few minutes, I hand the ticket clerk my ID and she hands me an envelope with our tickets. Carly snatches them from my hands and looks at them, raising her eyebrows as she looks at the seats. I had a feeling they would be good and her look confirms it.

"Someone is really whipping his dick out and showing its size," Carly says with her usual snark, "He couldn't be less obvious that he is trying to win you back." And she flashes me the tickets as we get in line to enter the UC. Seats on the glass, better than I thought and I immediately felt guilty, this is too much for just friends.

"No, we are just friends." I say so unconvincing that the lady next to me in line gives me a knowing look.

"Sureeeee you guys are, that's why he suggested that you bring me instead of, oh I don't know, your on again off again boyfriend WHOM he is aware of. He's making a power move and manipulating you and you are falling for it, hook, line, and sinker." She finished with a headshake. Everything she said plays over again in my head, am I just a fool for falling for his tricks? Before I can suggest we leave she hurries me into the United Center, no turning back now.

We get to our seats, in front of the Hawks blue line on the penalty box side, with enough time to catch the server. I forgot how amazing glass seats are, no waiting in lines for food or drinks, as I reach for my wallet to place my order.

" No miss," the petite server says, "Your drinks and food have been taken care of for the evening, feel free to order whatever you like, however much you like."

Carly raises her eyebrows at me, we are both thinking the same thing, and this is a power play on Kris’ part.

Well, fuck it. Two can play this game, "Well if that's the case I will have a Jack and Coke, please."

By the second period I am tipsy, Kris already has an assist and then he scores a goal. I jump up and down in my seat, he shoots me a wink and I feel sick. Carly isn't drinking but she misses the wink, and I don't tell her for fear of her reaction, her knowing glance, and her judging stare. So I decide to keep drinking, maybe things will get easier if I have another.

The shoot out is over and they lose, I lost count of how many drinks I had but I know I am drunk and teetering on sloppy at this point. Carly walks me down to the spot where the WAGs wait for the players and I lean against the wall to stop making the world tilt.
“Carls, I am going to tell him that he can’t pull a power play move on me! I am not a hockey team!” I shout whisper to her.

“Sure you are sweetie, now listen. When he comes I have to leave to go pick up DJ, make good choices and keep in mind what we talked about earlier, and think about Justin. Think about how he does not manipulate your feelings to get what he wasnts, k?” She has always been like a protective big sister, especially concerning Kris.

“K.” I respond simply as I try to get the room to stop spinning.

A few minutes later, Kris emerges from the locker room and I get my second wind, I run up to him and give him a huge hug. He picks me up and twirls me like he used to and I throw a light kiss on his cheek before he puts me down. If he can mess with my mind, I can do it right back to him. As he sets me down, Carly walks over and they share an awkward hug and exchange pleasantries, I ignore them as I am to busy dancing in place to the Kesha song playing over the speaker system.

"Uh, is she drunk?" Kris asks Carly, as he watches me dance and flashes a huge smile in my direction.

"Yep like a high schooler who stole their parents booze on a Friday night. Here is her coat and bag, take care of my girl tonight, Mr. Versteeg." She sounds like a stern parent as she gives me a hug and whispers for me to be strong and be safe. “No funny business and home at a decent hour.” She reaches over and gives me a hug, placing a kiss on my cheek.

We are in the car driving to wherever we are going to dinner when I break the awkward silence after a few minutes.

"Thanks...hiccup...for the...hiccup...game tonight." I squeak out.

He laughs and says, "Anytime, I can tell you had a lot of fun. Maybe next time I won't let you have an open tab."

"Who says there will be a next time?" I throw back, "Anyway, what's for dinner?"

"It's a surprise."

"Oh, okay." And we continue to ride in silence, I feel myself starting to sober up and then we reach our destination, Trump Tower. "Wait, we are eating dinner here?"

"Well, yeah. I live here and thought I would cook for you. Is that okay?” As we fly into his parking spot.

“Yeah, that’s fine I guess, as long as it’s not omelets.” And I throw him a wink.

Kris pours me a glass of my favorite red wine as he cooks the chicken that he had marinated; we talk about my week and how stressful it is when all of a sudden a thought hits me.

“Wait, stop.” He freezes in the spot and looks at me with his head tilted. “You are living in the Trump Tower, Pat Kane lives in the Trump Tower, Pat Kane couldn’t have helped you out?!” I feel my anger level rising.

“No, I just moved in a few days ago, and I am only staying here for a few weeks until I find something more my style, does this condo look like my taste?” I glance around, it is cold and modern, his style is more industrial but comfy. But I decide not to feed into his ego anymore than I already have.

“I don’t know what your style is Kris.” I say as I pull my feet up onto the chair and stare at my socks.

“Oh,” He sounds genuinely disappointed as he gets back to cooking, “Well this isn’t my taste.”

We eat dinner with pleasant chitchat but it’s clearly awkward. I hurt him with that one comment which surprises me, he always comes off as extremely confident but its clear his confidence is shaken, there is no more teasing or cockiness. He is just the genuine Kris that no one sees often enough and I find myself being drawn to him as the dinner comes to a close.

“So, do you want to watch a movie?” He asks as I clear the plates.

I check the clock; it’s almost 2am. “No, I should get going, I am supposed to have breakfast with my mom and brother tomorrow so I should head home.”

“Alright I will have the concierge call you a cab.” He says as he walks to the phone at the door and calls down. “They are holding a car for you if you want to head down.” He stuffs his hands in his pants pockets and rocks on his heels.

“Okay great.” I grab my coat and give him a hug at the door. “Thanks for dinner, Kris.”

And before he can respond I feel myself leaning in for a kiss. He is a lot taller than me but our lips meet perfectly when I stand on my tiptoes. At first he is taken by surprise, then I feel his arms around me. The kiss is soft and gentle, his lips pull me in deeper and I feel his tongue part my lips, I moan into his mouth as he lifts me up and pulls me in closer. I run my hand along his jaw, gently biting his lips and I feel him start to shift us away from the door. I break the kiss and lean my forehead against his, both of us keeping our eyes closed.

“Kris? Can you put me down?” I breathe out, in barely a whisper, my body is screaming for me to let him take me into his bed like he was about to but I know it’s not right, not now, not yet.

“Yeah, I can.” And he gently returns my feet to the ground. He looks to the ceiling and sighs. “Kaela, sorry, Michaelagh. Can I take you on a real date? Please?” He looks at me with pleading eyes.

No. “Maybe, I will think about it.” And he looks defeated. “But maybe first, I will have to cook for you.” I give him a small smile as I bite my lip, and then give him a soft kiss on the cheek before I close the door behind me and head in the elevator to the lobby.

I lean my head against the mirror in the elevator and look at my reflection, what am I getting myself into?