Status: complete

Lost in Stereo

Catching up, getting pissed and messing about

Alex’s POV

i was three quarters of the way through ‘love actually’ when the air hostess came and told me off for using my ‘electronic gadget’ ‘so close’ to landing. they always say that- ‘we’ll be landing in 2 minutes’ but in reality those 2 minutes seem to go slower than the final hour you get with your girlfriend before she breaks up with you. just by the way i’m still confused about that. i swear that the reason she gave for the break up does not count- ‘i don’t feel the spark any more alex’. if all she wanted was a spark i would’ve bought her a firework for her birthday but no- instead i bought her a diamond bracelet. everyone told me it wasn’t necessary but i thought hey- i don’t need all this money, i’ll buy lisa a diamond bracelet- not that she’s a model and has her own money or anything.

anyway so we landed after that hour long 2 minute descent so now i’m sat in starbucks with Zack and he’s just talking to his brother on the phone. we’re waiting for Jack’s plane to land and then Flysik’s taking us to our apartments where Rian is already. Jack’s coming from new york. he was there to catch up with some old friends/family or something and then chelsea hopkins found out from twitter and asked if she could meet up with him for a coffee. apparently she’s a really big fan of ours… who would’ve thought. i’d just figured she would be like every other hypocritical modern artist out there. they say our songs are “too loud” or “too aggressive”.

1) There is nothing wrong with venting your anger

2) At least we write the songs ourselves

3) If we’re helping people get through- we’re happy.

here he is! just in time too ‘cause Zack’s done on the phone and paul’s car has just parked up outside. i gulp down the rest of my english breakfast tea and Zack does the same with his strange coffee thing and we leave starbucks and greet Jack. he asks how our flight went and we told him about how tight the hostesses were and how irritatingly loud the guy in front was snoring and i explained my annoyance at being interrupted partway through ‘love actually’ and do you know what he said?! the exact same thing happened to him! our taste in films/books/music is so similar we could’ve been twins.

Jack’s POV

“Hi, this is Jack”
“Yeah hey it’s Chelsea!”
“Oh right hello, what’s up?”
“Just calling my boyfriend”
“haha right well I’m sorry but I just landed so I’m just catching up with the boys”
“Ok then, speak to you soon, say hi to the others for me!”

Wow ok. Two days in a relationship and already she won’t stop calling me! But God isn’t she amazing.

“So who was that then?”
“Chelsea”
“Right yeah! So are you two dating or what ‘cause it’s been ALL OVER the magazines like Okay and that People one oh and also in the Sun. Err not that I read those..” Zack- he’s just brilliant.
“Yeah man! I’M DATING CHELSEA HOPKINS”
“Well done Jack!” I got a hug from Alex. Just for the record, his hugs are the best. But then I remembered. I must’ve sounded like the biggest arsehole. Shit.
“Lex?”
“Yeah?”
“I’m really sorry about you and Lisa, I know you were pretty serious about her- but I mean, things happen for a reason, so I’m sure something good will come out of it” and I know it will- because it’s Alex and he’s such an amazing guy that if good stuff doesn’t happen to him than whoever decides fate is a prat.
“Thanks man but I do feel kind of.. different without her you know? Sort of- empty?”
“Yeah absolutely but all you need is an evening hanging out with me and the boys!”
“You know it Jackkkk!”

Thus that evening we got pissed and made jokes that don’t make any sense whatsoever.

Surprisingly enough Zack was the first to leave the evening of beer and laughter but he said he had to go meet Flysik early in the morning. Rian left when we ran out of Tiger, I was drinking Budweiser and Alex was downing the Peroni. We made the decision to put the beer away and watch a film. While I’m clearing away the beery-carnage Alex is looking at our collection of films. After a while he says-
“Jacky”
“Yes?” I answer from the kitchen
“Why is the Love Actually DVD in the Fight Club case?”
“So that I can take it out in public” It was true, that’s why I put it like that. Alex thought this was hilarious; maybe it was because he was so drunk- either way, his laughter made me smile like an idiot. We couldn’t decide on a film, so we settled for something that was on the TV. Alex went to the bathroom- I have no doubt in my mind that he was throwing up- but while I was browsing the channels I came across something I knew he would love. I selected it, turned the volume up to 90% and waited for his return.

Soon enough, he came stumbling down the hall, looking confused until he saw the screen. Greenday- Live in Baltimore. His cheeky grin lit up his face and he came and lay next to me on our couch. We probably stayed like that until around five which I think is around the time Alex fell asleep on my shoulder.

Alex’s POV

we woke up at 12 and just a look in the mirror told me exactly how much I’d drunk last night. also my hair looked awful. it had all migrated to one side. i told Jack i was gonna have my shower and he said ‘yeah go ahead Lex’ in the deepest voice i’ve ever heard- it was comforting- i quite liked it.

i turned my speaker volume up to full power and put my ipod on shuffle. i’ve got some weird music… for example, the first track that came on was by david byrne- lazy.

after my shower i pulled on some dark jeans and a Blink-182 shirt. i walked downstairs to find Jack in nothing but some boxers in the middle of the kitchen eating some bacon. there was more waiting patiently on a plate on the counter.

Jack: hello!
me: interesting outfit
Jack: don’t you like it?
me: well- given that those are my boxers…
Jack: (pulls puppy dog eyes)
me: what you want them?!
Jack: (nods)
me: only because you made me bacon

and then he bounded over and gave me a rugby tackle of a hug. it brought us down onto the couch. and then the floor. we continued play fighting for a while but soon enough we got tired so we just lay still next to each other, just breathing. Jack of course was still in his- well, my- boxers. he is an attractive lad- which is partly why i don’t mind that everyone pairs us together as what they call ‘jalex’ because, if i was a girl, there’s no way i’d be able to pull someone like Jack. anyway i find it fun, we always do these ‘jalex’ moments on stage and in interviews and all that and they’re really cute. like, we make them dead subtle so only the truest ‘jalex shippers’ pick up on them; sometimes they find things that we didn’t even do on purpose. one time i covered the mic because i didn’t want the audience to hear me tell Jack that i accidentally left my phone in my pocket for the show and now there’s this pic going around with a caption of ‘what could be so private that he had to hide from the fans?’ topped up with some awkwardly suggestive wink-face. it’s also entertaining because to be honest, if Jack and i were gay together, we probably wouldn’t be allowed to tell our fans anyway.

whilst i was off in this train of thought Jack had turned himself onto his side and was playing with my hair. i love it when girls do that to me and at first i thought what- this is Jack- isn’t this weird but no- it wasn’t. it was actually kind of relaxing.

our blissful state was interrupted by a confused looking Zack walking through the door after his later-described somewhat stressful meeting with Flysik.

Jack said his hello and darted upstairs for a shower and i stood up to put the bacon in the microwave. just as i was pushing the buttons for the time, Jack shouted down saying ‘you can’t put bacon in a microwave’ so i took it out and ate it cold. Zack had some too and it was then when he broke the apart-from-Jack’s-shower-noise silence with-

Zack: what were you doing on the floor?
me: just mucking about
Zack: why was Jack in your boxers?
me: how did you know they were mine?
Zack: because on the butt they say ‘got sass in this ass’ and i remember you opening them in fan-mail

well- he was right about that.