Status: Coming soon

The Finish Line

The first day

Louis smiles brightly at the thought of finally seeing Esther again. She wasn’t there to pick him up at the airport because she was busy with work but she promised to ring him as soon as she got off, then she’d come over.

The young brunette was as impatient as he gets, pacing back and forth through his apartment. Slapping his phone in his hand, waiting for it to buzz or make a sound. A nervous sigh falls from his lips and he drops onto the couch, resting his head back.

Louis sits there staring at the painting above the piano upside down for a couple of minutes. A mild knock on the door snaps him out of his gaze. “Who the…” He mumbles to himself as he approaches the door.

With one strong pull he swings the door open to uncover Esther standing behind it. The moment Louis lays eyes on his girlfriend his smile spreads from ear to ear, he opens his arm and launches himself at the woman pressing his lips firmly against hers.

The kiss is different than it used to be. She used to smile into their kisses or digs her nails into his back as she pulled him closer to her. And even though it doesn’t feel right, Louis holds her face in both of his hands and makes the kiss as passionate as possible. He carefully moves his lips on hers, waiting for her hands to hold his sides. But Esther just stands there, letting it all happen and holding her hands particularly close to her body. She doesn’t bother showing any sign of passion or love, she just stands there – it almost seems to be some kind of torture for her.

So the young man pulls away from his girlfriend, their eyes lock as he distances himself from the brunette. “What’s wrong…” He asks softly as he grabs a hold of her hand. He tries to play with her fingers, something she usually considered to be soothing, but she pulls her hand away from him.

Esther crosses both her arms over her chest. Completely blocking Louis out with her body language but it doesn’t keep him from trying again. He carefully lays a hand on her shoulder, which she simply shrugs off. “Are you angry with me?” Louis asks, fear evident in his voice.

Esther tries to speak up but her throat feels blocked. There’s a burning feeling in her stomach and tears are blurring her vision. She doesn’t want to show him her weakness so she decides to look away. A small laugh falls from her lips when she looks at his ankles, thinking how much she missed seeing those. “Why are you laughing?” Louis asks with a shaky voice causing Esther to look up again.

It isn’t until Louis reaches for her face that she realises a tear has slipped down. She quickly slaps his hand away then wipes it off herself. “Can I come in?” She finally speaks, to which Louis steps aside.

Esther sits down on the couch, concentrating more on her shaky fingers than her boyfriend who’s taken a seat across from her. “I think we should break up.” She blurts out after a couple of minutes of tense silence.

Louis’ mouth drops, he looks at Esther in pure shock. “Why?” He asks shakily. His breath seems to be caught in his throat as his mind replays their last moments together. Instead of answering his question Esther just gets up, heading for the door. The young boy is telling himself to get up, grab her wrist and keep her here. He needs an explanation but his body can’t seem to follow what his mind says.

Then when he finally hears the door fall back into its lock it’s as if he’s just been crushed by a brick wall and every time the sound of her heals touching the floor, it’s as if another wall falls on top of him.

His breaths get shorter as his eyes get warmer from the hot tears getting ready to fall down. A deep sigh falls from his lips as he runs a hand through his brown hair he then settles his elbow on his knee as he rests his forehead in the palm of his hand.

It’s not so much pain he feels – it’s more of an empty feeling. As if he’s lost the ability to feel any kind of emotion.

Another sigh falls from Louis’ lips, he then buries his face in both of his hands trying to wraps his head around whatever it is just happened. He’s trying to find an explanation as to why this happened but comes up empty.

He rubs his hands over his face, letting out another sigh as if it’s all he can manage at this point. He carefully grabs the iPhone that’s laying next to him on the couch, he presses the homebutton in the hopes that he might’ve missed its buzzing and maybe Esther changed her mind. When the only thing showing on the screen is a text from Harry, Louis angrily throws his iPhone across the room. “Fuck!” He yells angrily, getting up to punch the wall but even the pain of his fist colliding with the wall seems to be numbed out by Esther’s absence.

Louis then rests his head against the wall in defeat before turning around and sliding down to the ground with his back against the wall. He grabs two fists full of hair as another sigh escapes him. “Fuck…” He mumbles shakily, the numb feeling once again has overshadowed the anger. “Fuck…” He sighs, defeat evident in his shaky voice.