Status: Coming soon

The Finish Line

Somebody That I Used To Know

It’s been three days since Louis got the phone call that allowed him to breathe again. The weight that was resting on his chest has been lifted off. And with every drunk and angry text she sends his way, that weight is lifted higher. The anger she enrages in him takes away any feeling of love and care he has for the young girl.

”Luois… I ahte you!”

“Wanker!”

“Uhe have to you talk to me!”

“OTmmlions!”


A bitter laugh falls off Louis’ lips as he scans through the list of text messages she sent him. He hasn’t bothered to reply once, which only seems to anger her even more. With every new text he receives, the words she spits become more vicious and hateful. She’s called him about every name in the book and even threatened him a couple of times.

The tiny part in him that isn’t enraged with her reckless behaviour is somewhat worried, but mainly confused, about her actions. This isn’t the girl he met and fell in love with, he’s now seeing a whole different side of her – one he doesn’t like very much.

A groan rolls over Louis’ lips when his phone starts buzzing loudly to flash Esther’s name across the screen. But something tells him to pick up anyway, so with a deep sigh he puts the phone against his ear. “Aye.” He mumbles into the speaker before pulling the phone away from his ear, afraid that she’ll go on an angry rant and cause some damage to his eardrums.

“Louis…” Her voice sounds weak and vulnerable through the speaker. “Lou…” She mumbles again, merely seconds later.

Louis’ brow furrows, causing for three wrinkles to spread across his forehead. “Are you alright?” He asks, listening closely to the sounds coming through the speaker. He hears her shifting around a bit, sighing every once in a while but she doesn’t answer him. “Esther?” Louis then pushes, wanting an answer from the girl.

He hears her sniffle and cough. “Esther? Es?” He tries again, the worry he felt is already being replaced with feelings of annoyance and agony. She needs to quit the dramatics.

“Am I alright? No… I miss you. I can’t be alright, not without you.” A sigh falls off of Louis’ lips as his eyes roll around in their casket.

“Look, we either talk about it face to face or we don’t. I told you before, I’m not playing these games.” Before Esther has the chance to reply, Louis puts an end to the conversation. Louis’ anger is reaching a boiling point, he needs to find a release or he’ll just explode.

To distract himself from the anger, he quickly reaches for a vinyl album. A smile appears on the young man’s face when he puts the needle down on the spinning record. I had tender feelings that you made hard. But it’s your heart, not mine, that’s scarred.” Louis sings along to Elliott Smith’s Somebody That I Used To Know. The song reminds him of Esther from beginning end, every word in the song just somehow relates to one of the many aspects of the messy break-up he’s going through.

“I know you don’t think you did me wrong… and I can’t stay this mad for long. Keeping a hold of what you just let go. You’re just somebody that I used to know.” Louis looks to his right to see his best friend singing along to the song with him.

A chuckle escapes both of them. “Well, you’re in a better mood!” Harry smiles, patting Louis on the shoulder as he passes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Been a while, aye.