A Prison of the Mind

Chapter 3: Improvising

I call out to see if anyone is around and am greeted only by silence. My stomach growls and I'm reminded that i'm in a kitchen (if in name only, a kitchen still). I begin to look in the tossed about pots and pans, most are just left with some crusted on material, like they haven't ever been washed. I may be desperate, but I'll retain some standard as to what I ingest. There is a small, wooden hatch that leads to what I would assume to be the pantry embedded into the corner of the room's floor. A small light switch next to it.

I open the hatch and look down, gazing at absolutely nothing besides the pitch-black walk down the cracked stone steps. I hurriedly flip the switch and see sparks fly below, illuminating the small room for a brief second. The lights immediately die. "Something around here has to work." I mutter and walk to the oven, the pilot light is in bad shape, but will still burn. "Good.", I think to myself and walk outside. I just need a small branch or a twig, I take my choice of the branches that I fell into and bring it back inside.

"Hopefully, this will work". I turn the pilot light back on and light the end of the stick, waiting for the flame to spread a little . I pull it back out and have a makeshift torch. Then I proceed down to the pantry and see a lantern hanging from a post and quickly light it, lest my torch die out. It is a small room with wooden beams supporting it, nothing fancy at all. The only thing really down here is a few cupboards and shelves with some canned food and some imported liquor (I assume it's imported because I can't read the label, it appears to be written in another language.).

Greedily, I take a can of beans and a bottle back up and pry it open. This improved my mood significantly, whether it was the the end of the tremors in my gut, or the effects of the alcohol, I couldn't tell you but the truth is, I really couldn't care either way. I know my limits, so I only drank a small amount and re-corked the bottle, after all, I still don't know where I am. With slightly renewed hope, I go to the next room, a large, musty-smelling room with folded tables and chairs scattered about. Why does this entire place look like it was hit by a tornado?

I quickly decide that there is nothing in here for me and keep moving. Next is a small hallway with some burgundy wallpaper that has definitely seen better days...rips along the corners and creepy picture frames containing "art" that only the painter could love, they all bear a distorted view of what is in the pictures, one is of a boy, gleefully playing with a ball. Then, I find the lobby and must be at the front, there is a desk, another door off to the side, and a spiral staircase on the other end of the room.

There is a clipboard on the desk, I go to inspect it. It reads in large print "Crawford Asylum". Beneath it is a list of occupants...My name is marked down among several others, also written incoherently, the signatures are all in faded ink, save for my own which is quite fresh.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, uploading this chapter on Christmas day does show that I don't have a life. Holidays never turn out as good as you expect when the childlike sparkle in your eye fades and the world seems to hit you on the back of the head huh?