Status: Completed ah <3

Never Let Me Go

Chapter One

A tall, brown-haired boy named Alex Gaskarth walked down a Baltimore sidewalk, smiling at the crunch the autumn leaves on the ground made under his feet. The usual mix of fear, nervousness, and anticipation rose in his gut the closer he got to his high school. He half-hoped this year would be different. People liked him, sure, but he had school friends, not friend-friends. Sometimes that got really lonely, so he spent most of his time writing songs and singing to his reflection. There were a few times he wished he had someone he could share his songs with, but for the most part he felt like he had to keep them to himself until he found someone worthy of that. He started humming a melody he'd had in his head for days, trying to think of ways he could improve it. Alex was at the front gates of his high school before he knew it and took a deep breath in. Time to put my face on. he thought, pasting a smile on his face and readying himself to interact with other people for the day.

Alex went through his first three classes feeling like a zombie, information spinning around in his head, trying to find a permanent place to take up residence. Then it was lunch time, a time where he could just be. He smiled as he sat down at his usual table and dove into his lunch, enjoying being around the company and the laughter of the other guys telling bad jokes. He had just started downing his dessert of the day, Oreos, when he spotted a new boy sitting by himself on the opposite side of the cafeteria. The boy never looked up from whatever he was eating, but Alex could see that he was a little taller than he was, had short hair that was brown on one side and blond on the other, and was wearing a Green Day hoodie. Green Day had always been one of Alex's favorite bands and he decided that whoever the kid was, he was awesome for that. He'd have to talk to him if he saw him after school.

"Earth to Alex! Something interesting about the new kid? You're staring, dude," Alex's friend, Rick, said. He was looking at Alex like he'd grown a third head.

Alex shook his head and turned back to face Rick.

"He's wearing a pretty badass Green Day hoodie, but nah other than that. Sorry, man, were you telling me something earlier and I spaced?" Alex said.

Rick shook his head and smiled at his friend's spacey-ness.

"I just wanted to know if you saw the Ravens game last night," Rick said.

"Yeah, it was a pretty nice win," Alex said.

"Hell yeah it was," Rick said.

He turned back to talk to another friend of theirs and Alex found his eyes wandering over to the new kid's table again. His eyes met the new boy's for just a second before he looked away again.