When the Song Ends

it is the end

I was driving late at night from work. The roads were quiet and empty, so I rode as fast as I could, impatient to get home and get some sleep. As long as I got coffee by my side and alert, open eyes, I'll be perfectly safe.

It's really dark, though. Life wasn't as lively as it was half an hour ago, and one by one the buildings by the road turned off its lights.

To cheer up myself, I turned on the radio. I switched from channel to channel - they all were putting up slow music, and that definitely did not help at all. They're all crap anyway. So I found a random cassette on the car's drawer and flipped it in. It turned out to be the one I bought three weeks ago, A Crow Left of the Murder by Incubus.

It played the last song from the album, Leech. I hummed to the song as I drove on. I thought of understanding the song again, and listened to it more carefully. I know I'm smart enough to understand songs like these. I just get distracted and all.

I finally came to the conclusion two minutes after the song: Incubus was talking about an annoying guy who acted all high and mighty, and the guy should go fuck himself. Well, that's exactly right. People like that should just shut up. I'm a better person than them, of course. I know that. I should be fine. The song's not directed at me.

The song went on.

"...so fuck yourself,
and fuck this bleeding heart of mine..."


It was finally getting to the last chorus, and I was relieved. The album will loop and I'll start from the song Megalomaniac again.

"The ride's over,"

I looked up to the road.

"Did you enjoy yourself?"

There was a truck going off its lane.

"The ride's over."

We're going to crash.

"Fairing well?!"

I am not fairing well.

-----x-----

"...the ride's over, the ride's over, the ride's over, the ride's over, the ride's over..."
♠ ♠ ♠
I totally mean nothing offensive to the song, or make it a kind of supernatural myth, no way. I'll die too, if I did. I just wanted to use it. The song doesn't belong to me, it's from Incubus.
The idea just came up on the way from my study course and right when I got home, this song ended, and I woke up from the short nap. It's sort of funny.
And please do judge the narrator. He was meant to be annoying. Don't blame me if I get the song interpretation wrong, anyway. Everything's meant to be~