Smoke and Mirrors

Two

Alex pulls his dinky green Honda in the parking lot of Fire House 69 at exactly 7.47am. Not too early, but with plenty of time to get himself together before he has to go inside and face the people he's been admiring all his life, become one of them.

There's an assortment of cars in the lot and to Alex's surprise, a bright metallic blue four door old model Skyline. It's a very nice car, perfectly clean and the paint almost glittering in the early morning sun. It definitely stands out against the drab white, black and silver of all the other vehicles.

The stations three roller doors are down, and it's quiet as Alex steps out of his car, opening the back door to grab his gear, careful to shut the door as quietly as possible.

He's not ready to be noticed just yet.

He rests his belongings beside him, runs his hands through his hair. In general, Alex is a confident person, enjoys being in the spotlight and taking control but right now, this is his future and he's admittedly nervous. No matter how many hours of study, or controlled scenarios he's been in, he knows it's got to be nothing like the real thing.

Alex checks his watch. 7.55. He needs to go.

Picking his gear up off the ground and brushing off some non-existent dust, Alex starts towards the bright red front door, taking purposeful, measured steps that he hopes are neither to slow nor too fast.

When he reaches the door, Alex isn't sure what to do. Does he just go right inside or is he supposed to knock?

He steels his nerves, and elects to just go in, turning the old fashioned brass handle and hoping there isn't a lot of people on the other side.

There's no one, just a nondescript beige hallway with a single, rather wilted looking fern. With no where else to go Alex follows the low hum of voices down it, reaching out a hand to swish past the fern as he goes. Eventually, the hallway comes to abrupt end and for a moment, Alex's breath catches in his throat.

In front of him, is the home of Fire House 69. To his left, a wall filled with framed photos and awards, comfortable looking couches and a flatscreen TV, and to his right a menagerie of tables and chairs filled with magazines and card games, backing onto a counter with it's very own fridges and a proper, actual bar. Station cafeteria.

There's guys everywhere, most of them with plates in hand and the delicious smell of bacon catches Alex's nose and he watches as they notice him, and the conversations going on around him come to an abrupt halt.

“Who the fuck are you?” Calls a voice Alex can't find a face to put to, and he clenches his hand into his jacket.

“I'm Alex, Alex Gaskarth, the new recruit?”

An obnoxious whoop travels through the room, and someone wolf whistles off to his right. One of the guys sitting on the couches stands up, says something that makes the guy sitting next to him laugh, before he turns to Alex with a smile.

“Well Alex, Alex Gaskarth, welcome to station sixty-nine”

The greeting sends a chortle through the crowd and Alex can't help but smile along with them, glad that it's okay to laugh at their unusual number situation.

The guy comes over then, shorter than Alex and his hair cut short, broad shoulders under a tight fitting 'BFD' T-shirt.

“I'm Rian, second in command” He says, holding out a hand that Alex shakes, grip firm as he meets Rian's eye.

“Nice to meet you” Alex replies, well aware of the stares he's getting.

Rian claps his hands loudly, “Righty, since all of these fuckers have decided to shut their mouths for once, i'll show you where to put your gear and then we'll see about introductions. Sound good?”

Alex nods. “Sounds good.”

He follows Rian down another, wider hallway, passes doors labelled Lockers and Sleeping Quarters and Amenities into the depths of the building, where the hallway opens out again and Alex gets his first glimpse of the garage and the trucks parked within, bright red and polished chrome. It sends a shiver down his spine, seeing them through the huge glass doors that lead outward.

Rian slides one of the doors open and Alex trails behind, trying to make sure his mouth isn't hanging open as he admires the garage in it's entirety and Rian must notice because there's a snort of laughter behind him, and then a hand on his shoulder.

“Nice, huh?”

Alex swallows. “Yeah.” Is all he can find to say.

Rian snorts again, and the hand pats him on the shoulder before it draws away.

“I was the same way when I first started, couldn't keep my eyes off them”

“They're pretty” Alex blurts, “Wait no, I mean-”

“It's okay kid, I know what you mean”

Alex likes Rian already.

He manages to tear his eyes away long enough for Rian to show him where to hang his coat and pants on the hooks along one of the walls, and it's poignant moment, seeing his uniform up there, along with everyone elses, a neat row of black and reflective silver and yellow.

“Come on, we'll meet the bossman first” Rian prompts, and Alex realises that he'd been staring again. He fights to keep the childish blush off his cheeks.

Rian leads him to a door labelled with a fancy brass plaque, 'The Boss', knocks once and swings the door open to reveal a balding man with glasses surrounded by at least an entire trees worth of paper.

“Dawson, if it's not important I really ne-”

“New kid” Rian interrupts, and beckons for Alex to step forward.

The man looks him up and down, before a lopsided smile appears on his face and Alex relaxes a little.

“Gaskarth, right?

“Yes sir”

The smile widens. “Keith Harmond, station chief, welcome”

Alex smiles and shakes his hand as well. Chief Harmond turns to Rian.

“I presume you're handling the introductions and whatnot?”

“It seems to have fallen on my shoulders” Rian says cheerfully, “He gonna be with us or Delta?”

The chief seems to consider Rian's question for a moment, before picks up his papers again.

“Better put him with you, Delta can barely handle themselves”

The two of them laugh, and Alex is secretly grateful that he'll be with Rian.
“Now both of you, out of my office before I find some filing for you to do”

“Yes sir!” Rian mocks salutes, and then ushers Alex out of the office, clicking the door shut behind them.

“So that's the chief, he's not really involved unless there's beer or someone’s fucked up” Rian says, “But he'll be the one signing off whatever you do”

“And now we'll see about everyone else”

They head back to the main room and once again the conversations fall silent, and everyone stares.

Rian leads the way to the cafeteria first, stopping where the carpet meets old style black and white linoleum.

“If everyone could I don't know, say hi or wave or something when I say your name, that would be very sociable of you” He starts, before he turns back to Alex.

“In order of appearance we have Colussy, Nickeleski, Kurily and Grieco, all from truck two, or Delta and part of the stupid last name committee”

Rian spins around to the right, to the guys one the couches “And from the legendary team Alpha, Merrick, Flyzik, Kirkendall and myself. And Jack, our Girl Friday”

“Hey!” Said Girl Friday yelps indignantly, “I'm more than just a pretty face”

“Yeah,” Chimes in a voice from across the room, “He also provides the beer”

Alex has no idea how he's supposed to remember all of these names. Especially the complicated ones.

Rian goes to sit down, gesturing to an empty spot beside who Alex thinks is Merrick, who isn't wearing the most welcoming expression. In fact, the guy doesn't appear to be paying him any attention at all. Alex sits.

“Now, most of us have a nickname, or a callname because of the stupid last name committee, but also because we now have two Daniels, two Matthews, and two Alex’s”

“Woo Alex!” Is hollered across the room, by who Alex is reasonably sure is Gri-something.

“Zack our glorious leader here” Rian gestures is Merrick, “Is Axe, Kirkendall is Kirken or Captain, Flyzik is Flyzik, i'm Rian and Jack is Jack.”

“Have you considered name tags?” Alex says hesitantly, not sure how him making a joke is going to go over.

There's laughter, and that's his answer.

Alex spends the remainder of the day being as Jack had so eloquently put it, 'station bitch', polishing boots and rolling hoses and looking on with a mild air of disappointment as each time the trucks were called, he had to stay behind. Apparently he's supposed to be spending his first day getting familiar with the environment, and then join Alpha on duty tomorrow.

Logically he understands, but deep down Alex had been hoping he'd be able to get right in and do his part, not piddly chores and busy work.

Jack's cool though, showing him around and assigning him a locker and even sharing the code to the locked fridge of beer for after shifts only. They're quite alike, what with Jack's black skinny jeans and faded band shirt and he's potentially the coolest manager of anything Alex has ever encountered. And he's funny, so time passes quickly to the sound of a local pop-punk radio station and jokes that would probably be inappropriate in any other workplace.

Alex is looking forward to tomorrow with an eagerness previously only reserved for his favourite bands, his birthday, and Christmas.