Status: Completed

Glory and Gore Go Hand in Hand

Chapter 4

In attempt to distract himself from Alex, Jack buried himself in work for the next few weeks. He volunteered being on call nearly every night. If he wasn't busy killing humans, he was thinking about Alex. He longed to feel his lips against his again. He needed to see that crooked smile of his, and hear his british accent one more time. Then Jack's pager would go off, snapping him out of it again. He would breathe a sigh of relief and take off in the direction of the reconciled couple. This was the routine he began slipping in to. He hardly slept, and as a result he began getting dark circles under his eyes. Ian tried helping, of course. He would turn Jack's pager off once he would fall asleep, in hopes his younger brother would get some much needed sleep. But it would never last long.

"Jack we need to talk," Ian commanded, sitting next to him on his cheap couch.

"For the millionth time, I am fine."

"Don't even start with that bullshit," Ian interrupted, cutting him off. "I know something has been wrong with you since New Years. It's almost February, Jack. I get you don't want to talk to me. So I'm going to call Dad and tell him there's something wrong with you, and maybe he can help. I'm really worried about you..you don't eat, you don't--"

"No." Jack simply stated. Ian frowned, waiting for him to continue but he didn't.

"No? That's all you have to say? Are you fucking kidding me?" Ian questioned, glaring at Jack.

"Look, I am not going to talk to Dad."

"Why?"

"Look, it's just a phase I'm going through; a rut if you will. If it makes you happy, I'll talk to someone...okay? Just not Dad." Ian's lips tugged up into a smile, satisfied with the outcome of this.

"Yes, just talk to someone. That's all I'm asking."

"Okay, I will. Now, if you don't mind I'd really like to get some sleep." Jack mumbled, smiling at Ian's relieved expression.

"Oh! Of course! And why don't you take the night off," He added, grabbing Jack's pager and leaving the small apartment. Jack breathed out a sigh of exasperation. He loved his brother dearly, but he just cut him off from every possible distraction. And that got Jack to thinking.

Maybe Ian was right, maybe he should try talking to someone. He considered talking to Athena, but quickly shot down his own idea. Her and Zeus were way too close for that. Then he thought of it: Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love. She hated Zeus with every ounce of her being, he was the one destroying love, which is what she is all about. Granted, she hated Jack and Ian, too. But maybe with the predicament he was currently in, it would be different.

- - - -

"Oh Jack," She sighed, looking at him sadly.

Aphrodite uncrossed her arms and tucked her golden hair behind her ear. Jack was right, she couldn't hate him after hearing his story.

"I know..I love my life the way it was. At least I thought I did until I met Alex..and now, well now I just don't know anymore. I can't get my mind off of him. Now that I'm saying it out loud, it almost seems crazy. I barely know this guy.."

"And that's where you're wrong, Jack. From the day you were born, a connection was made between the two of you. You felt comfortable when you were around him didn't you?" Jack nodded, not looking up at her. "That's because his presence was always there, with you. That's how it feels for him too. So it gives the illusion the two of you have always known each other. It takes two humans unmatched humans to fall in love in about six months. It takes two halves to fall in love in as quick as six hours. It's amazing really." Aphrodite smiled, showing off her perfect white teeth.

"I can't see him again, though..it's too dangerous." Jack argued.

"So what are you saying, Jack? You want to go back to your old way of life? Killing every day with the occasional one night stand?"

"No. I really don't." He said, answering truthfully.

"Exactly my point. I'm not saying everything is going to be rainbows and butterflies from here on out. It isn't going to be easy. But you came to me for a reason. You knew the kind of advice I would give to you, Jack. But you need to be careful. This is very dangerous and you know very well that it can result in death. Not only for you Alex, but for you as well."

"I know, I know. I just..how am I not going to get caught? By Ian? By my father?"

Aphrodite smiled sadly at him. "Those are questions that I do not have the answers for, my love." Jack nodded, he should have expected that.

- - - - -

By the time Jack arrived at Ian's apartment he was passed out in his bed, with his pager resting on the night stand next to him. Silently, Jack made his way across the room and picked the pager up, turning it on silent and taking it with him back to his apartment. He was going to make it seem like Ian accidentally forgot it at Jack's. This way, he won't get the alert about himself and Alex.

In all honestly, Jack could not believe he was doing this. Not only was he disobeying his father for the first time in his life, but putting himself in a whole lot of danger. It was rather thrilling actually. Jack quickly fixed his black and blonde hair until he was satisfied with it before teleporting to London, just outside of Alex's loft. Taking deep breaths, Jack climbed up the stairs to his floor and knocked on the oak door. It was silent for a few minutes before he heard footsteps, a loud yawn and unlatching of locks.

"Jack?" A wide eyed sleepy Alex asked incredulously.

"Hi Alex."
♠ ♠ ♠
Wooo Jack is making progress! I hope this seems okay so far. I'm trying really hard to not rush it and take it at an okay pace. Anyway! Please give me feedback on this chapter. I kind of like it and I'm very excited to start working on the next chapter. It'll be a good one (;