Miss Mayhem

Sunflowers.

I received my schedule from the front office, telling the guidance counselor that, no, I wouldn't like anyone to show me around.

I headed to my first class, English, studying my new schedule absentmindedly.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Molly Marie bumped my shoulder and I rolled my eyes. Barely an hour ago, she was fussing at me to get ready. Now she looks half-ready to just take me back home.

"I don't want to have everyone know me as 'Schizo' again. At least, not the first day." I looked over at her, almost expecting her to be offended. A wave of relief washed over me when she just shrugged. It was foolish of me to doubt my best friend in the first place.

"It's cool. Just be careful," she said, flashing me a bright smile. I couldn't help but admit to myself that she was awfully pretty. Angels had a natural beauty about them that was unmatched, and her having fallen from Heaven didn't seem to change that. "Don't let Terrence give you a hard time."

I groan, making a face. Of all the monsters that stayed with me over the years, it just had to be him. "Bye, Molly."

And she was gone.

I didn't want Molly Marie to leave, but I wasn't going to drag her around all day, either. So, I'll just have to face this on my own. It couldn't be too bad, right? I'm a junior in high school, and it's mid-October right now so I've only got a year and a half, roughly, left of this mess.

I sighed inwardly. I'm seventeen years old, but I certainly don't feel like it. Instead, I just feel, well, old. The kind of old when you know and see things that younger folk couldn't understand.

I start to open the door to the principal's office, as I was instructed to see him before heading to class. But my train of thought was interrupted when I bumped into someone, causing me to fall to the cold tile floor, and for my schedule to escape my hand. I only then noticed that my backpack was open, its contents spilled across the floor. A cackling Terrell was skittering away, singing a nasty-sounding song.

"Ch-Charlotte?"

Raising a brow, I turned to see a boy about my age, who was now helping pick up my things. He had brown, messy hair, as if he had just rolled out of bed. He seemed to pull off the look, though. Easily. Whenever the male glanced at me, which he did more than a couple of times, I noticed his eyes. They're a bright, captivating green, like a baby tree's first leaf in the summer. He had an unmistakably handsome face, as if he walked straight out of a teens' movie. His clothes were casual: a gray button up shirt, a pair of jeans, and blue converse. He only wore one accessory, a silver chain around his neck, sporting two rings that look very much like wedding bands.

"...how do you know my name?"

The boy in front of me fumbled for an answer, finally holding my schedule up for me to see. "This is yours, right?"

I tried not to look relieved. Only my monsters knew my name, and I would have known this one. But I didn't. "Yeah," I breathed, "that's me."

A small smile made its way onto his lips. "It's nice... to meet you, Charlotte." He helped me put everything in my backpack, pulling me carefully to my feet. "I'm C.J., by the way."

His smile was contagious, and I surprised myself by smiling back. "You too." And then, I surprised myself once again. "Could you show me around? I'm new here."

C.J.'s expression faltered, but only for a split second, as it quickly was replaced with another smile. It didn't seem so contagious this time, though. "I'm afraid that I can't do that."

I rose a brow. "How come?"

He shrugged. "I don't go here. I... was just talking to the principal. He just wanted to make sure that homeschooling was working out for me.

"Okay, well, thanks anyway."

"It's no problem."

There was something more that he wanted to say, I could tell. But for some reason, he stopped himself.

"Hey," my voice lowered to a whisper. "Are you okay?"

C.J. hesitated, as if debating on whether or not he should tell me what was on his mind. There was a look in his eyes that I couldn't identify. Pain, maybe. "I just have a lot to think about, that's all."

I must have looked unconvinced, because he quickly added:

"I'm going to go meet someone, and I wanted to get her flowers."

"Sunflowers."

"Pardon?"

I blushed slightly, glancing away. "If someone were to do that for me, I'd want sunflowers." I finally looked back at him, noticing a glint in his eye, as if he already knew that.

"Well," he cleared his throat. "I'd better get going."

I nodded. "Okay, see you around."

Another look flitted across his features, but I couldn't identify it this time. "Hopefully."

He turned to leave, and the overwhelming urge to ask him something -- anything -- overcame me.

"H-hey, what does C.J. stand for?"

The male stopped walking for a moment, and laughed softly. "Christian Jack."

"And your last name?" The sound of his voice was something I wanted to hear for as long as I possibly could, for fear that I wouldn't know it again.

C.J. hesitated once more, but not for too long. "Daniels."

I smiled to myself as he walked away, and nothing else but his named seem to occupy my previously flooded mind. "Christian Jack Daniels."