Miss Mayhem

Is Anyone Here?

"Thank god, you're home!" I let out a sigh of what must have been relief, and Seth gave me an odd look, silently trading off his gaze to Lauren.

"...what did I do?"

"Nothing, baby," Lauren laughed lightly, walking over and kissing his forehead. He smiled down at her fondly, shaking his head as if dismissing the matter.

"Well, if nothing else, yes Charlotte, I am home. Was something going on?"

I smiled slightly, and shrugged, though Lauren's excitement kicked in before mine did, though that came as no surprise. "She agreed to try the Ouija board, Seth."

Her husband rose a brow, a little hesitant, but she waved it off. "You know I've done it so many more times before. Besides, if she has this Molly Marie girl with her, then maybe we can talk to that one?"

The couple disappeared into the kitchen, and I sat on the floor, leaning against the polished oak wall. My eyes were closed, and I allowed myself to disappear into thought for a bit. Obviously, my first impression of the two was totally off. The looks of judgement and pity I thought I've been receiving from Lauren were actually glances of a muffled curiosity and wonder. I decided that I wasn't going to let my guard down just yet, but maybe... maybe this time it would be different. They certainly seemed willing enough to try.

Lauren gave the impression that she was cooking dinner, but it wasn't long before Seth joined in on the rambling of what was to take place later that night. So after the pasta burned, pizza was ordered, and we all sat in front of the television, watching goofy cartoons. They sat on the couch, Lauren snuggled up to her husband, Seth holding her with an arm around her shoulders. I laid on the floor on my stomach, pillows propping me up. They really did make a cute couple, those two. She was Chinese, and he, Russian, which was given away only by his thick accent.

But besides that, they were a wonderful clash of colors. He had light hair while hers was dark, her skin tanner while his was considerably, but still decently, pale. She was short and he was tall, the perfect height, if you asked any love-desperate high school girl. But was most capturing was the way they looked at each other, as if caught up in a world completely their own. No matter how much people called Lauren a lunatic, or Seth a cold man, they cared only for what the other thought. It was sweet, in a sappy, lovey-dovey sort of way.

Anyway, the pizza arrived, and Lauren mumbled something about how she should have ordered two pizzas. But in all reality, I wasn't very hungry. I rarely was. I ate two pieces despite that, and no offense was taken when I asked if we could get started. On top of not being all that hungry, I was also tired, and had a good bit of papers to go through from my first day at school.

I've heard horrid things about Ouija boards, but since Lauren and Seth seemed comfortable with it, I tried to tell myself to trust them. So far they were okay, and the least I could do was give them a chance. They explained the rules to me:

1) Never use the board alone. - That was fine, because we had three people.
2) Don't use it when you are sad, angry, upset, etc. because that shows vulnerability and such an emotion displayed could be taken advantage of. - They asked how I was feeling, and I answered honestly. Between television, pizza, and a hope that I might be able to stay here, I was actually feeling alright.
3) Don't let the spirits count down on numbers nor letters, for they could get out that way. - As if I wanted any more monsters.
4) Always be respectful towards whatever/whoever you may encounter.
5) Do not use the board continuously.
6) Never leave the planchette on the board if you aren't using it.
7) Try not to ask questions that are personal for any of the users, or the spirit.
8) Always say goodbye.

It seemed simple enough, all rather similar to the common rules of courtesy, and Lauren went on to say how it was best that only one person spoke during a session, and the others helping where needed, recording answers, pressing the tips of your fingers lightly on the planchette, etc. I nodded when she asked if I got everything, though I myself was quite nervous, unsure if this would go well. I only realized then that Molly Marie wasn't in the room with me, and my heart stopped a few times after that. Not literally, of course, but she was always there when I was scared.

So the board was set up, the doors locked, television turned off, and we sat in a triangular sort of position, Lauren behind the board, Seth and I on either side. We placed our fingers on the planchette, took what felt like a collective breath, and Lauren spoke after we all breathed out.

"Is anyone here?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I put up a character section, and I'll put up a slot for Lauren and Seth ASAP. c: