Status: Paused due to Outstanding Work

A Power Game

Eggs, Bacon, and Death

"Now?" Mhykol's voice was hesitant. He was not afraid, but he was certainly trepidatious to face the big man with a sword in his hand.

"Now." The man agreed. "We'll fight outside. Jasmine will judge the winner."

"Walker, is this really necessary?" Jasmine's voice was moderate. "We know he's a good kid. He won't do evil with these swords." She ran one finger lightly along the edge of each sword.

"I know he's a good man," agreed Walker, "but I want to know what kind of a hunter he is." He turned to Mhykol. "I'll meet you on the lawn outside."

With that, he spun on one foot, walking up the stairs. Jasmine and Mhykol watched as his broad back disappeared from view. Jasmine's face was irritated, Mhykol's unnerved. Jasmine lay one hand on Mhykol's arm, guiding him up the stairs.

"My husband has a good heart, but his methods can be somewhere ... brutal. Don't worry about hurting him, either. I shouldn't tell you this, but my husband is one of the best fighters in Euphoria. You won't hurt him unless he wants you to." She smiled at him reassuringly. "The good news is that I think he wants you to. You're a kind boy, Mhykol. You have a good heart, even an idiot like my husband knows that." She patted his cheek in a motherly manner. "Try not to die."

Comforting.

"Wow, thanks mom."

The young woman gave him a sardonic look, her eyes narrowed and feisty. "Any time, Pup. Now run along and play." As she spoke, Jasmine held out the twin swords to him in one hand. He took them carefully, one in each hand.

He was amazed by how well they fit his hand. It was as if the grip had been specially made for him, and he knew each curve and dip in the worn leather as if he had been using them for years. They were light enough that he could raise and swing them easily, but had a nice weight to them. Mhykol knew just how fast that weight could multiply in a fight.

Walking down the hallway, Mhykol pushed open the front door. Moonlight illuminated the lawn, and cast shifting shadows cross the grass.

Thirty feet away, standing tall and rigid, hands clasped over the pommel of a great-sword, was Walker. His face was inclined, and hidden in shadow. His dark brown eyes, however, seemed to glow with light in the darkness; like a cat.

"Are you ready, Pup?"

Mhykol walked forwards, tasting the cool air skim over his lips. Cicada chirped softly in the woods, and somewhere far off, an owl called. The sky was beautiful; wide, clear and full of diamond-like stars that shone brightly with the light of the moon.

"I am." Mhykol stopped walking, balancing lightly on the balls of his feet, ready to defend or attack. A piece of advice that Roman had once given him came floating back through his memory.

'People strike where they think you are. Don't be.'

Breathing out, Mhykol's body relaxed, preparing to defend with everything he had. His twin swords balanced easily in his hands, forming a barrier between him and Walker.

"Then show me." The big man danced forwards, attacking. His sword cut through the air faster than Mhykol would have believe possible, and he struggled to defend. At the last second, he managed to trap the man's sword between his own, and the scream of metal on metal filled the night air.

Twisting, Mhykol pushed the man's sword away with one of his own, striking out with the other. It was the only advantage he had. His sword shot towards the larger man's chest, but he turned to one side, and Mhykol's sword shot past. As Mhykol stumbled forwards, Walker's leg shot out, sweeping Mhykol's out from under him. Mhykol crashed to the ground heavily, the breath leaving him in one massive rush.

"That fucking hurt." Mhykol groaned, and the man standing above him laughed.

"Then just you wait for this." His great-sword flashed in the night as it whistled towards Mhykol's body. Eyes widening, Mhykol kicked backwards just as the sword struck the ground, carving a deep trench through the grassy earth. Using his momentum, Mhykol stumbled out of the man's reach, breathing heavily.

That would have killed him, he realized. This man was serious about this. Mhykol's eyes narrowed, his face growing dark and deadly. Fine. If the man wanted a fight, then Mhykol would give it to him.

"Activate Special Ability: Godspeed." Mhykol breathed the words into the air softly, but Walker heard them still. A brilliant smile split the grim black of his beard.

"I liked the look on your face there, Pup."

The world slowed around Mhykol. Walker slowed to a crawl, moving as if through syrup. Mhykol ran towards him, swinging at his sword. He didn't want to kill the larger man, even if he did not show the same restriction. To Mhykol's surprise, the other man reacted. Sword spinning, the man seemed to break out of the magic. He closed with Mhykol quickly, swinging his sword in a fierce uppercut. Mhykol didn't retreat, instead throwing his body towards the man. Both of his swords caught Walker's, sending the blade soaring over his head, while he himself crash into Walker's body. He felt his shoulder strike the man's diaphragm. The man gasped as the air left his lungs forcefully, and he took a step backwards.

Activated all his speed, Mhykol ducked under the man's cross-sweep, feeling the vibration of the metal blade as it cut the air just above his hair, probably taking a few strands with it. Jumping forwards to meet the man, Mhykol threw his last card. Strike Walker before the man could strike him. As he leapt through the air, Mhykol saw Walker's sword coming back around, ready to strike his neck. Pushing upwards with his hands, Mhykol sent his sword flying towards the man's chest. Closing his eyes, Mhykol waited for the cold bite of metal.

Slowly, he opened his eyes. Both men stood panting, swords held an inch from each other's skin. Walker's almost brushed Mhykol's neck, and Mhykol's rested on Walker's skin, just below his chestplate. Both blows, if struck, would have been fatal.

Walker stepped back with a deep sigh.

"You can keep the swords." He muttered, giving Mhykol a smile.

"You can keep your life." The big man laughed at his words, and Mhykol returned his smile. "Thank-you Walker."

The big man reached out, trying to grab Mhykol in a hug, but Mhykol danced away nimbly. Walker simply gave a good-hearted grin. "I'll see you in the morning. Don't sleep in, we're having omelettes and bacon."