Status: Boubon and Ray-Bans is complete. The sequel is coming soon.

Bourbon and Ray-Bans

Chapter 10

When I knocked on Norman’s door that morning, I was greeted by a grinning 12 year old. He told me his dad was still passed out from a late night with old friends so we proceeded to eat all the food I had brought leaving Norm to his own devices. Afterwards, we curled up on the sofa and watched the first Die Hard which I had never seen. Mingus could recite nearly the entire movie. Boys.

Around noon, we heard Norman banging around his bedroom. He took a shower and walked directly into the kitchen for a cup of coffee. Mingus and I just watched. He was in sweatpants and hadn’t bothered drying his hair. Now was the perfect time to practice not getting all hot and bothered at the mere sight of him. He drank his first cup in two swallows and still hadn’t turned around.

“Ming?” His voice was scratchy and barely audible.

“Yeah, Dad?”

“Brodie’s coming for the weekend so we gotta get this place cleaned up and ready. We’ll hop on the train in a few hours to head to Queens. There’s a couple of places I’d like to hit up before we head to the airport.” He was on his third cup.

“Too late, old man.” I snickered at how he jumped at the sound of my voice.

“What the hell? Why didn’t you tell me you were coming early? How long you been here?” He was rubbing his eyes like he didn’t believe what he was seeing. “Sorry the place is a mess.”

Norman’s apartment, as always, was spotless. “Got here around 9. Mingus and I ate breakfast and watched tv. No need to bother your precious beauty sleep.”

He walked over and mussed Ming’s hair before pulling me off the sofa and into a hug. He needed to stop smelling so good if this whole distance thing was going to work. He kissed my cheek and went to get dressed. I turned to Ming who was looking at me funny.

“What?”

“Are you dating my dad?” He looked so serious all of a sudden. And earnest.

I stared at him blankly for a couple of seconds before speaking. “Not that I know of, kiddo. What makes you think that?”

“I don’t know. He gets excited when you’re around. And I like you more than his other girlfriends. They never play video games with me. Do you wanna hear my band play sometime?” He was grinning again.

“I’d be super pissed if you didn’t play for me. As for your dad and me, I think we’re just going to be good friends and co-workers. Hope that’s not too disappointing?”

“That’s okay. For now!” He laughed out the last two words and ran off to grab his coat. I rolled my eyes as Norman returned from his bedroom dressed head to toe in black.

“Going to a funeral I don’t know about?” He gave me his best exasperated look and headed towards the door. He and Mingus both turned around clearly waiting for me to join them. In that moment they looked so much alike I couldn’t help but smile.

“What?”

“I just feel a little sorry for Mingus, that’s all. I mean seeing y’all there looking like the spitting image of each other, I just know he’s going to have such a hard time getting girls.” I winked at Mingus and got a stuck out tongue in response. Norman raised his middle finger.

“Not to worry, Brodie. Since you don’t want my dad, I’ve decided to marry you myself.” With that little nugget of information, Mingus turned and marched directly out of the apartment. Cock of the walk. My eyes had widened so much my face hurt. Norman burst out laughing.

“I so fucking told you that kid is in love with you. You can start calling me dad whenever you feel comfortable.” I sucker punched him as I followed Mingus out the door.

***********************

Turns out, Norman really did have a shit ton of errands to run. Mingus and I just tagged along companionably and enjoyed the city. Lots of people stopped to take pictures with Norman, but rarely asked me to join. The girls wanted him all to themselves so I played photographer and signed autographs for those who asked.

At 6, we walked Mingus back to his mom’s for dinner and set off on our own. Since I was still trying to furnish my loft, I forced Norman through about six furniture stores in search of the perfect sofa. Norman’s contribution to these efforts included rating each on a scale of how it would handle during a particularly lively sex session - the couch’s ‘fuckability factor’, if you will. The salespeople were so amused.

By 8, we were starving and stopped in a gastro pub for dinner and drinks. As 9 rolled around, I was heading towards sloppy drunk over a little bourbon drinking competition with Norman and a few friends we’d picked up along the way. My head was screaming at me to stop, but the boys surrounding me urged me onward. Finally, I called it quits when the tequila shots were introduced. I knew better than to mix my liquor. It never ended well.

We said our goodbyes and stumbled back to the apartment. Once inside we shed our coats and went straight for the coffee. In my drunken haze, I managed to spill coffee beans all over the kitchen floor. Once I managed to get the beans into the espresso maker, I had no clue how to actually work the damn thing. I felt Norman push up against my back. He wrapped his arms around me and got the machine working. Instead of pulling away, his hands hugged my waist and he buried his nose into my neck. I sobered up quickly.

“It was a good night.” His voice was filled with alcohol...and sex. He lightly ran his lips up and down the curve between my neck and shoulder. I swallowed and shut my eyes tightly, willing my body to stop betraying me. The ding of the coffee machine made me jump nearly out of my skin. I abruptly removed myself from Norm’s grasp and poured our drinks. Once safely out of reaching distance, I turned to face him. It was a mistake. He was on me in five seconds flat.

He didn’t even bother with my mouth. His lips, teeth, tongue found my throat and I had to grip the countertop to keep from collapsing. His fucking hands were everywhere, practically clawing at my skin. I could hear myself moaning against my better judgment, but couldn’t find the strength or the desire to stop him. That’s when Mingus strolled in from his bedroom. When he saw us, he let out a little scream.

I nearly ran to the guest bedroom, coffee all but forgotten.
♠ ♠ ♠
I could really use a cup of coffee myself right about now!! Thanks for reading, y'all!