Status: Boubon and Ray-Bans is complete. The sequel is coming soon.

Bourbon and Ray-Bans

Chapter 11

Surprisingly, I slept well once I calmed down and got into bed. I hoped Norm had been too drunk to remember much, but that wasn’t likely since Mingus would remember everything. Nervously, I got out of bed, took a shower, and headed for the scene of last night’s crime. Both boys were already there and the kitchen was an absolute mess.

“We cooked you breakfast, Brodie! We were going to bring it to you in bed, but you ruined that. So now you can just stay here and help because Dad doesn’t know what he’s doing.” Mingus was pouring syrup onto some funky shaped pancakes. I just quirked an eyebrow and began to help. In between scrambling eggs and frying bacon, I tried to catch Norm’s eye, but he was having none of that. So much for not remembering anything.

Mingus filled what would have been an awkward silence with an update on his band’s last couple of practices. He said they were steadily moving from terrible to just sort of bad. They had two songs they could make it all the way through. Mingus was trying to convince them they needed a female lead singer, but his friends were against girls 100%.

We finished with the food and sat down to eat. I forced as much down as possible to help soak up any remaining liquor in my system. No one said anything for next to an eternity. Finally, Mingus spoke up.

“I thought you said you guys weren’t dating, Brodie?” I side-eyed him. He was happily chomping away at two pieces of bacon.

Norman had stopped eating and was gulping down his orange juice. I honestly didn’t know what to say.

“We’re not dating, Ming. Sometimes things get a little carried away when alcohol is involved which is why you’re never going to touch the stuff, right kiddo?” Mingus looked at him dubiously and just nodded his head.

I cleared my throat and finally managed to get out actual words. “If y’all want to hang out today, that’d be cool with me. I have some things I can do on my own.” Please say yes. Please say yes. I needed some time and space.

“Helena wants to have lunch.” Thank Jesus.

“That’s great. I’ll just finish up here and head out.”

“Actually, B, if you don’t mind, she’d like you to join us.” What the hell?

“Umm...why? That seems a bit odd.” We locked eyes across the table.

“Mom’s convinced you’re going to be my stepmom sooner or later and wants to meet you.” The little shit.

“Mingus, go get ready.” Total dad voice.

I was desperately trying to find a way out of this one. Surely Norman wouldn’t subject me to this. We weren’t dating. He’d made that perfectly clear a couple of minutes ago.

“Helena’s been reading a lot of the shit that’s out there. And even though she knows better, she still thinks she should meet you. You spend a lot of time with Mingus so I figured she had a right to ask. You don’t have to come, but it’s no big deal. She’s just being a good mom.” I wasn’t going to be able to say no.

“Yeah, ok. I get it. About last night…” Might as well get it over with.

“Already forgotten. I become a whore when I’m drunk. Sorry you took the brunt of it. No more excess drinking, scout’s honor.” He smiled sheepishly. “Mingus might never let us live it down though. I hate that he saw that. I didn’t think he’d come back here last night. But I should have known better. He loves being here with you.”

“Just Mingus?” I was a glutton for punishment and my mouth wouldn’t keep its goddamn trap shut.

He gave me a very dangerous look. “You know better than that, B.”

Well, fuck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lunch with Helena. Wonder how that will go? Thanks for reading! I've posted everything I've written. Hopefully, I can crank out more over the next day or so.