Status: Boubon and Ray-Bans is complete. The sequel is coming soon.

Bourbon and Ray-Bans

Chapter 20

As much as I tried to ignore all-things-Norman over the next few days, I was constantly inundated by fans about his every move. He was in Japan to do several fan events with Sean Patrick Flanery. He’d be there until Christmas. I also learned that Cecilia had gone with him. I wondered where she’d been while he had been here with me. In the car waiting?

As the days wore on, the firestorm calmed down. I talked to several of my fellow castmates and none of them had known Norman was dating this girl. They all seem genuinely shocked and appalled at his behavior. Andy had a long Asian tour booked in January alongside Norman and assured me he’d be speaking with the man candidly. I told him not to bother. If Norman was happy, we should be happy for him.

I hadn’t left my loft in days beyond taking Trix outside. The Chinese delivery guy was the only person I’d seen since Tori’s visit. My family was taking an extended cruise over the holidays so I didn’t have any Christmas plans besides curling up and laughing at Andy in Love Actually.

On Christmas Eve, the phone rang for the first time in over 24 hours. I couldn’t believe how enjoyable the silence had been. I looked at the screen to see Sean’s name pop up. I answered out of curiosity. What could warrant a call from Japan?

“Hey, Brodie. It’s Sean.”

“Hey. How are things in the land of sushi? Getting tired of women throwing themselves at you yet?” I’d do my best to keep things airy and light.

“Never gets old. Um...do you have a second to talk?”

It must have been close to midnight there. “I have time, but isn’t it late there?”

“Yeah, we just got back from dinner, but I wanted to talk to you before I go sleep.” That worried me.

“Okay.”

“First, I’m sorry about the shit you’ve been through recently. You didn’t deserve any of that and Norman feels terrible.”

“He could have at least given me a heads up.”

“And he should have. But I think the decision to walk the carpet with her was sudden and unplanned.” I didn’t need him to apologize for or defend Norman. That wasn’t his job.

“Look, it’s fine, really. It’s mostly blown over already. He can date whomever he wants. Not my business. You should go to bed. Merry Christmas.” I wanted off this call.

“Wait, Brodie, wait. That’s not really why I’m calling. I need you to promise me something.”

“What?”

“Norman’s having a New Year’s show - a photography thing - in the East Village. It opens January 2nd at 8 pm. Promise me you’ll be there.” Well, this was unexpected.

“Why? He doesn’t need me there. And when did this happen? He never told me.” Something smelled funny.

“It’s a pop-up show he just agreed to do this morning. But it’s for a good cause and I know he wants you there but figures if he calls you, you won’t even pick up. Cecilia won’t be there. But you have to be.”

“Sean, I just really don’t think that’s a good idea. Not right now. I’m just so over all this shit. I feel like I’m on a roller coaster that never ends. I’m ready to get off. To be honest, I barely even know who Norman is anymore. The Cecilia thing bothers me more than I’ve been admitting.” It felt good to finally say that out loud.

“I know, sweetie. It bothers the fuck out of me too. She’s here with us and he’s never brought a girl along before. I’m sure she’s a perfectly sweet girl, but she is the last thing he needs. And he knows that. He’s just going through his own shit. Running from good things right into the arms of bad things. But I promise the New Years show will be worth your time. Just fly in that afternoon and I’ll meet you at the airport. No need to wear anything fancy. Just be your lovely self. Please.” He was practically begging. I also knew he had some sort of ulterior motive. Men were not very subtle creatures.

“Sean…”

“Please, Brodie. I wouldn’t ask you to do this if I thought it would in any way hurt you.” I couldn’t deny that. I had no reason not to trust Sean.

“Fine. Thursday the 2nd. I’ll book a ticket and text you my arrival time.”

“Attagirl! Don’t worry about any of the other shit in the meantime. And for fuck’s sake, stay off the internet. Oh...and one more thing.” Oh boy.

"Yeah?"

"Do you love him? Like really fucking love him?" My heart skipped a beat. Why was he asking me this?

I was quiet for a long time. He didn’t interrupt the silence, just waited for me to respond. "You know I do." My voice sounded so small and faraway.

"See ya on the 2nd." And then he hung up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On the 2nd, I flew to New York as promised and met Flanery at baggage claim. I’d done as Sean suggested and dressed comfortably for the flight. Jeans, sweater, leather jacket, and boots. I worried that I’d look ridiculous at a gallery opening, but also had no intentions of drawing any kind of attention to myself. I sort of hoped I’d even avoid seeing Norman. That was most likely a pipe dream.

“Hey, dearie. So good to see you.” He kiss both my cheeks and hugged me. He looked entirely too pleased with himself.

“I know there’s something you aren’t telling me Flanery and I’m doing my best to just go with the flow and trust you, but I swear if something happens tonight that isn’t to my liking I am personally rendering you impotent.” I meant every single word.

“Fair enough. We’ve got a little bit of time to kill so let’s hop on the train, get off a few stops early, and walk through the city. Sound good?”

“Sounds fine.” And it was. I loved the city during the holidays. It was a balmy, comfortable night for January. Sean shared some of their Japanese adventures with me along the way. It sounded like the boys had had a great time. Cecilia was not mentioned.

We arrived at the gallery at 8:15. The front had been entirely blacked out so that no one could see inside. It raised my suspicions, but Sean kept walking towards the front door so I followed. As long as he was going in with me, I assumed I had nothing to worry about. Once inside, we found ourselves in a long hallway. A sign by one of the doors indicated that the art space was that way. Sean said he had to pee and that I should just go ahead inside. He’d catch up in a few minutes. Alone in the hallway, I grew scared. Of what, I had no clue. But for a charity opening of a celebrity’s photography show, this building seemed awfully fucking quiet.

“Grow a pair, James.” I whispered the encouragement to myself and cautiously pushed the door open.
♠ ♠ ♠
Now that, my friends, is one evil fucking cliffhanger. The more comments I receive, the quicker I'll post the next part!! Much love to everyone who has read and who will read!!