Status: Boubon and Ray-Bans is complete. The sequel is coming soon.

Bourbon and Ray-Bans

Chapter 3

However many hours later, I woke up with an enormous headache and a less than sunny disposition. I stretched and groaned at how sore I felt. My knee still ached. Norman had bandaged the scrape and moved me further onto the bed. As the previous night’s events flooded back to me, I winced in embarrassment. Hopefully, I could sneak out of the hotel and to the airport without running into anyone I’d be forced to talk to.

I showered and pulled on a cotton sundress (the only comfortable way to fly). Looking in the mirror wasn’t the best of ideas. Dark circles hung beneath my eyes and my skin was paler than usual. Today would be a good day for makeup. If only I actually owned any makeup. Taking a cue from the master, I donned my own pair of sunglasses, my hoodie, some sandals, grabbed my bags and headed down to the lobby to check out.

Norman was there waiting. I sighed inaudibly.

“Hey, sunshine. Anyone ever tell you sunglasses indoors is obnoxious?” He was grinning from ear to ear. A rather odd sight and somewhat out of place on him.

“Oh, great. Attack a poor, defenseless girl under the influence of a terrible hangover with sarcasm at ass o’clock in the morning. You’re so charming. I can see why all the girls love you so much.” I managed a small smile despite my words.

He stepped forward and pushed my sunglasses to the top of my head. His hand dropped to my chin and raised my face towards his. I stopped breathing. What the hell was this?

“You okay? Eyes are a bit bloodshot. Want some Advil? Your knee feel okay?” What a fucking mother hen.

I pulled back from him and dropped my sunglasses back down. “I’m just peachy. Already taken some medicine. Thanks for patching up my knee. You probably should have left me to bleed out. I was a total bitch yesterday.”

“Yes, you were. But I love you anyway. Go checkout.” He turned around and was almost immediately attacked by a gaggle of teenage girls who just couldn’t get enough Daryl Dixon.

A car service met us out front to take us to the airport. We still had another week before the mid-season filming hiatus was over. I knew Norman would be heading back to New York to spend time with Mingus before school started. I was flying back to Atlanta for a week of trying not to leave my bed beyond bathroom breaks and the occasional meal.

“So, any big plans this week? Gonna take Mingus out partying every night?” I loved teasing Norman about Mingus. But the truth was, he was a great fucking dad.

“Oh, yeah. A different brothel every night. Just what an 11-year-old needs.” He had his head back, looking out the window. I couldn’t deny the man was gorgeous. He was so pretty it almost made me sick. “We’ll probably just order in Chinese everyday and play video games. Maybe play some paintball or something. Go swimming. He wants you to come visit.”

“Me? Just so he can try to beat me for the millionth time at Call of Duty? Never going to happen. I don’t believe in letting children win.” The kid was good, but he wasn’t that good. Norman just sucked that badly.

“I think he has a crush on you actually. I’m fairly certain I caught him with your Maxim issue last week. All his friends have a thing for Emily, but not my kid. His tastes are more mature.”

I snorted. “You should take him to have his eyes checked.”

“Have you seen that Maxim spread? It’s...You’re gorgeous as fuck.” He looked at me a bit too seriously.

I chewed on my bottom lip and averted my eyes. “Photoshop can work miracles.”

“Yeah, well, ain’t no Photoshop in this car and you’re still cute as hell in that little dress nursing your bum knee and a wicked hangover. I don’t know why you’re always putting yourself down. It’s getting old. Just think of all the shit you’d give me if I walked around calling myself ugly.” He turned back towards the window.

“I never said I was ugly.” I knew I wasn’t ugly, but I also knew I wasn’t much beyond average looking without heaps of help. The Maxim article had even pointed that one out. I’d become somewhat of a novelty in the ‘business’. A rare normal looking actress who was actually just an average, everyday woman. I wore that badge with honor. But the word ‘gorgeous’ put me off. In a weird way, I think Norman actually believed what he said, though. His eyes were trained to see beauty in odd places. His art had always played into that.

Once we had made our way through airport security, we decided to grab lunch before heading to our respective gates. We ate quietly, both content to wander off into our own little mental worlds. I had always appreciated that about Norman. Silence was always comfortable with him. Friendly, even.

“I meant what I said.” I looked up at him, brow furrowed.

“You said something?” I hadn’t been paying attention.

“Earlier, in the car. You should come visit. Mingus would really love it.” He was playing with the sole of his shoe. He’d probably owned those brown boots for 20 years.

“What? Now?”

“Sometime this week. Whenever. We aren’t doing anything. Unless you have plans.”

“I don’t want to intrude on your time together. I know you don’t often get weeks like this. Y’all should just enjoy each other.” Norman and I were friends, but I wasn’t sure spending a week with him and his son was something that played out as normal in a friendship. I honestly had no clue about such things. Relationships and such.

He stood up and grabbed his stuff. “Up to you. Call me if you decide to come. If not, see ya next week.” He leaned down and kissed the top of my head before starting off. I was beginning to realize that this man would be the death of me. One way or another.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've written so much lately that I just want to keep posting! Consider it a Christmas present. Thanks for reading!