A Different Beat

norie parker

The boys had been given their choice of practice venues, but Calum had chosen to go straight to the source- the studio they would be performing in. Calum sat flush to the leather chair he would don once the live performances began.

He had chosen to bring everyone in one at a time thinking it would be more beneficial when trying to help them, he had brought Katie in first.

The pouty blond would be performing (and subsequently butchering) a Demi Lovato song on the live premiere of Golden Tone, he had tried to steer her in a more practical direction, but it was a hopeless battle.

He had only brought Katie in first upon the request of the other four people on his team- they had moved into the mansion just twelve hours ago, but they already couldn't stand her. Sam had taken to calling her the village tricycle (because apparently everyone had already taken a ride), in the twelve hours since move in Katie had made out with Jarren (Micheal's team) while she had already managed to shag Zachary (Ashton's team) not once, but twice.

He had called in Neil next- Neil was 24 and sickeningly good looking. He had dark skin and model-good looks, his chiseled jawline and perfectly stacked smile would surely leave the girls heartbroken. Neil had settled on a Justin Timberlake tune for the live premiere and he was one of the more promising prospects on the team.

Sam, the fiery red-head was next. She had settled on a Lorde tune, The Love Club, and thought she needed a little vocal direction, she too, was incredibly promising.

Calum had watched them interact last night and had decided that, so far, Sam and Norie were the closest.

Then there was Casey- the eighteen year old Adelaide native who, again had model-good looks and Calum knew that even if his talent didn't carry him through this competition, his sex appeal probably would. He was just over six feet tall with porcelain skin, a six pack, and baby blue eyes. What set Casey apart from everyone else was his love for American based country music.

And though Casey was in fact, one of Calum's contestants, he (kind of) already hated Casey. He had seen Casey and Norie hanging out last night by the jacuzzi, and while it seemed innocent their proximity left a jealous fire burning in the pit of Calum's stomach.

He watched last night as Norie left out of Casey's room just past three in the morning and headed for her own.

Truth be told, Calum hadn't paid one ounce of attention to Casey's rehearsal- he had been trying to formulate some sort of plan to keep Casey away from Norie, but when the car had arrived- ready and waiting to take Casey to see the vocal coach Calum just decided to wing it.

"Hey uh-" Calum stood, approaching Casey who was leaning against the piano sipping on the bottle of water, "look man-" Calum started, shoving his hands into his pockets. "Norie is drop-dead gorgeous, I get it but I'm not okay with inner-team relationships. I just don't think it's a good idea and-"

"It's okay man," Casey interrupted, wiping at his forehead. "no worries." Calum let out a sigh of relief.

"I just saw her leaving your room last night." Calum grumbled, shrugging.

"Nah, man- she helped me pick my song. She spent some time on YouTube and found this great song, Drunk Last Night- and she was right. It's kind of perfect..." Calum smiled, shaking his head like he knew what was going on (and like he had actually paid an ounce of attention to the song Casey had sung). "Besides- I'm pretty sure Norie has a boyfriend or something."

Calum's mouth went dry as every ounce of oxygen seemed to abandon his lungs.

"See ya' at dinner, man." grabbing his guitar case, Casey left. Leaving Calum standing in the middle of the studio, his lips twitching like a fish out of water.

But before he knew it he was pacing nervously across the judges stage.

"Just...be cool, Calum-." he prompted- his feet seeming to move fast with every step he took, "be cool- she is just a girl -albeit, the most beautiful girl you've ever met- but she is just a girl. You've met thousands of them and-"

"Sorry I'm late!"

At the shock of her suddenly standing on stage he let out what could only be described as the single least manly squeal-scream that anyone could ever hear.

Norie's eyes went wide as she held both hands up: "Oh God, Calum I am so sorry I didn't mean to scare you!"

But at the very sight of her, he found his brain betraying him- his mouth desperate for words, a word, any word- hell- a sound at all.

But he just couldn't, not as the impossibly wide smile tugged at his tanned cheeks.

She was draped in a black dress that could only be described as a silk with a sheer overlay- the straps clinging to her impossibly thin- it was a miracle they held the dress in place at all, revealing her delicate shoulders, the cutout between her breasts still leaving far too much to the imagination for Calum's liking, the hemline barely hitting mid thigh.

Much to his surprise though, she was not in Doc Martens, but in leopard print wedges that left her six inches taller than she would be in her beloved boots. The sunglasses perched on-top of her head reminiscent of Audrey Hepburn.

"Calum?!" she shouted, pulling him from his very inappropriate stare-session.

His entire body flushed hot with embarrassment as his cheeks went red. "Sorry- I um-" but he still couldn't seem to find the words, "you look nice today."

Norie offered a half smile as she dropped her coral colored leather bag onto the edge of the stage, her fingers tracing over the snaps on her guitar case.

"Really? I didn't get much sleep last night..."

"Oh really?" he feigned interest, like he didn't already know, "Why?"

"I went to bed after 4:30, it's my own fault..." she mumbled, pulling on the guitar, letting the pink strap rest on her bare shoulder.

But Calum started to silently panic- 4:30? that let an hour and a half unaccounted for after she left Casey's room.

"Working on your song choice?" he pried.

But Norie just shook her head before effortlessly mumbling: "Fighting with my boyfriend-" as her finger strummed at the acoustic guitar. "So, should we start?"

"Uh-" he stammered, falling back into the chair. "Yeah sure...what was your song choice again?"

"I actually worked last night on an acoustic version of Radioactive, you know, Imagine Dragons?"

Calum feigned a nod.

The studio went silent- but not for long.

Norie closed her eyes, leaning in as she began to strum on the guitar.

"I'm waking up to ash and dust. I wipe my brow and I sweat my rust, I'm breathing in the chemicals. I'm breaking in, shaping up, then checking out on the prison bus. This is it, the apocalypse- Whoa. I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones. Enough to make my systems blow. Welcome to the new age, to the new age. Welcome to the new age, to the new age. Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive. Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive."

Just when he thought the ache deep in his chest couldn't get ay worse- her voice struck a chord so eloquent, he couldn't hardly control his smile, his heart sinking deeper as he smiled through the hurt.

"I raise my flags, don my clothes. It's a revolution, I suppose. We'll paint it red to fit right in
Whoa! I'm breaking in, shaping up, then checking out on the prison bus. This is it, the apocalypse
Whoa.
"

Norie caught a glance of the look on Calum's face, and her hands fell from the guitar, her voice silence.

"Do you not like it?" she asked, leaning into the mic.

But Calum shot up, his head shaking furiously from side-to-side. "No, no, no, no, Norie-" he stammered as he climbed onto the stage. "It's perfect." he spoke, his words growing quiet as he approached her. "If I can be honest?" his words were shy, "Between you and me- I'd bet you're going to be my winner."

Norie's eyes went wide with shock as she jumped into Calum, her guitar the only thing between them as her arms squeezed around his neck. "Thank you!" she whispered, just loud enough that he could hear.

He took a deep breath before his arms slicked over the guitar, finding their place around her waist. "You're gonna be a star, Norie." her smell was intoxicating- he wasn't sure what it was, but it smelled like summer and it left his heart stammering in his chest.

But before he could register what he had said, Norie pulled away. "I have to go call Holden! He's going to go mental!"

"Holden?" Calum pondered out loud as she dropped her guitar, ransacking her purse for her phone.

"My boyfriend!" she called over her shoulder as she dialed, scurrying frantically from the studio.

Calum stumbled back into his chair- his head falling back, eyes closed tight as the ache settled deep in his chest. He didn't even know this girl, but he knew he had to have her.
♠ ♠ ♠
ACK. I am so, so, so so, so sorry this took so long.
Things got crazy with work, but I do hope you all liked it!
We would love to know what you think so far.
Also, you can find Norie's song HERE, it is so worth the listen.

As always, thanks so much for reading! It means the world <3