A Different Beat

cole denver

Luke couldn’t decide if he had made the right decision or not. Each week, ridding himself of one of his contestants was proving hard. Sandra had done well, in fact she had done better than one person on his team, but in his heart, Luke couldn’t say goodbye to Cole. He knew it was a one off- her voice had been strained all week and she had downplayed how raw her vocal chords felt.

Luke sat back in his chair as he watched one by one his team file in. His eyes landed on Cole, but she looked anywhere but him.

“Hey guys, how’s everyone feeling this morning?” Luke asked, playing with his lip ring as he studied the last three in his team. Jacob looked his fabulous self, not a hair out of place. Finley was slightly dishevelled, but that seemed to be his fashion and according to house gossip, it was a hit with a few of the girls.

As for Cole, she looked deflated. All that bubbly energy had left her and deep down Luke knew that she knew it should have been her this week.

The group mumbled a basic ‘good’ or ‘okay’ as Luke chuckled slightly.

“Well I’m hoping the news I have will put some spark up your arses,” Luke laughed, leaning back in his chair and watching as their eyes seemed to widen a little in anticipation for the news he had.

“Please tell me it’s a party,” Finley asked, his hopes dashed when Luke shook his head.

“Celebrity mentors?” Jacob raised an eyebrow as images of him and Beyoncé doing a duet together ran through his mind. Luke once again shook his head, before turning to Cole, waiting for her to throw a guess out there.

“Do we get to have visitors?” Cole’s eyes held an inkling of hope at the idea of having Oscar here just so she could have him give her one of his famous pep talks or bear hugs.

“Sorry Cole,” Luke looked slightly sad he couldn’t ignite her hopes.

“Well then, what is it?” Finley questioned, growing impatient.

“This week, as a way to shake things up, the show has decided to introduce Themes.” Luke spoke, “And just your luck, this week’s theme is; ‘songs about sex’.

The boys eyes lit up, both openly discussing songs they could sing. Luke bit down on his lip as he turned to Cole.

“What about you, Cole?” He asked, her eyes finally finding his.

“I… I don’t know.” She admitted.

“Oh don’t act coy, love. Don’t act all innocent on us now.” Finley wrapped an arm around her shoulders, which she annoyingly pushed away.

“Shut up,” Cole shuffled further from the group. Luke’s face tensed as he sent Finley a look that had never graced the face of shy Luke Hemming’s before.

“I didn’t mean it in a horrible way, Cole. You know I dig your style; if you have it, flaunt it.” Finley’s hand grabbed her bear knee and finally Luke snapped.

“Get out,” He calmly spat. Finley’s eyes snapped to Luke as he looked on surprised.

“What?” He asked in disbelief.

“I think it’s best you return to your room and think about how you treat your fellow contestants, because remember, one by one I’m eliminating you guys. Singing isn’t just what I look for; attitude is a huge thing for me, and you sir, have a shit one.” The venom in Luke’s voice told Finley he best just oblige and leave. He grabbed his phone from the table and quietly left the room.

“Sometimes I wonder why I like boys,” Jacob sighed, breaking the awkward tension. Luke was happy to see Cole crack a smile.

“Well, it’s a shame Finley couldn’t keep his big mouth shut, because today, I’ve decided that I need to have some bonding time with you guys. So, go upstairs and get ready because we’re going… Ice skating.”

“Ice Skating?” Cole spat out, her eyes a little wider than their natural size.

“Yep, Ice skating.” Luke smirked, “Off you go then; I’ll meet you both by the front in thirty minutes.”

“But what about song choice? Improvements?” Jacob worried, knowing every second was crucial to his winning.

“Don’t worry, I’ve booked us in for dinner and we can discuss it all then. You both deserve a day of fun; you’ve done non-stop working since you arrived here.”

Both Jacob and Cole thanked Luke, before heading towards their rooms. Luke gathered his things and decided he would quickly pop and speak to Cole alone because he wanted to reassure her that he had complete faith in her and she needn’t worry.

Placing his things in his bag, Luke placed it by the front door and headed up the stairs to find Cole. He climbed the winding staircase until he reached the second floor where most his contestants were staying. He remembered where her room from the last time he had stayed up with Cole and talked. Their midnight meetings were something he considered special to him. Nobody knew and he enjoyed just lying there, Cole beside him as they spoke of their past, present, dreams… Everything imaginable. They never ran out of things to talk about and that’s what made Luke fall for the girl. If only he had met her outside of the show, thing’s would have fallen into place by now.

Luke reached Cole’s door when he realised it was slightly cracked open. He was about to knock when he heard some voices behind it.

“I’m really sorry, Cole, can you forgive me?” It was Finley. Luke would always know that slow and raspy voice anywhere.

“You basically called me a whore, Fin.” Cole’s voiced was hurt and accusing. Luke’s heart felt for her and he wanted nothing more than to drag Finley from the room and embrace her in a hug that would make her feel safe and perfect all in one.

“You’re no whore, Cole. You’re a girl who embraces her fit body and there is nothing wrong in that.” Luke wanted to gag. Finley had a horrible way of wording things. Had he never heard of the words ‘beautiful’ or ‘gorgeous’? Every girl was ‘fit’ or ‘fine’ in his words.

There was a pause and finally a sigh.

“You’re such a dick,” Cole’s voice made Luke’s stomach flip. He felt disappointed at the sound of her flirty tone.

“And that’s exactly what turns you on.” Finley growled seductively as Luke stumbled back. He could hear the sound of lips smacking against each other and the low groan of a man and woman as all sexual tension began to leave them.

He felt sick and disappointed. He knew Cole was a flirt, he actually liked that she had that fun and carefree side about her. But Finley Ross was a new low.

Luke headed back down the hallway, ignoring Calum as he enquired about his friends face like thunder.

“I’ll talk later, mate.” Luke shouted back as he stormed down the stairs.

Later, the ride to the Ice rink was more awkward than Luke had hoped. He wished he could forget about what he heard, but his stomach still felt queasy and a tight tension was spreading through his chest. Cole was sat quietly in the corner, her eyes watching out the window as the scenery passed her.

“Just to warn you, I’m like a Christopher Dean when it comes to ice skating. Total pro,” Jacob spoke up, his head slightly bobbing to the song playing through the car speakers.

“Christopher Dean?” Cole questioned.

“Yeah, like an Olympic legend. Him and Jane Torvill just rocked- It’s such a shame they’re old now.” Jacob pouted, inspecting his nails.

Cole laughed at Jacob, her eyes landing on Luke who was still quiet in the corner. She wondered what could be wrong with him and hoped she could get some alone time soon or later tonight so she could ask.

Ice skating turned out to be funny because Jacob wasn’t joking when he said he was a pro on the ice. He was frolicking around and had Cole in stitches when he spotted a group of guys and tried to impress them by doing some fancy tricks. Landing on his arse wasn’t part of the plan and Cole and Luke both had to help him to his feet.

Finally they were ready to ditch and head to the restaurant that Luke had booked them in. It was some nice little joint in the centre of town that allowed them to be seated near the back so they could have their own privacy.

“So guys, speak to me- what songs have you decided for this week’s theme?” Luke looked to both of them, but his eyes didn’t linger on Cole for too long.

“I’m thinking Marvin Gaye- Let’s get it on?” Jacob suggested.

“Love it. Such a classic and I think you could put a modern twist and sex it up even more.” Luke smiled. Finally he turned back to Cole who seemed to be clocking on to Luke’s off hand behaviour. “What about you, Cole?”

She hated how his voice held nothing. It was cold and distant.

“Well I was thinking I could finally do Gorilla by Bruno Mars.” Cole replied.

“Sorry, someone’s already claimed the song.” Luke said quickly.

“I thought mentors could fight it out for a song if two contestants wanted to sing them. Could you try and get me the song?” Cole asked her voice quiet.

“I don’t think it’ll be worth it. I could potentially see it being a train wreck on stage.” Luke spoke, his tone reaching freezing. Cole stared at him, her eyes stinging with tears. She never let people get to her, but she valued Luke’s opinion above anyone else’s.

“Excuse me, I’m just going to the ladies.” Cole stood and rushed off towards the toilet. When she pushed through a cubicle door, she let the few tears fall. She didn’t sob or cry out. She shed just silent tears as she let the hurtful comment wash over.

How could Luke say the song would be a train wreck? He had loved it last time when she had sung it to him, so what had changed?

Cole let out a sigh as she placed her head in her hands. The only thing she could think of is that Luke had listened to Finley’s comments and realised what a no good whore she was. Everyone in the house was now talking about it; they didn’t agree on her flirty nature. This probably meant she was definitely going home next week.

Well, if people thought she would go that easily, they didn’t know Cole Denver very well.

Cole realised it wasn’t even half way through and she was beginning to crack. This is where she would find out if she was truly a strong person or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm such a crap person, I know.

I promise I've had a good excuse. I literally bought a new laptop and I've had to save to buy the Microsoft disc (which cost's a bomb, if I may add) so I've struggled to write. I literally can only write with Word, it's annoying, I know!

But I'm back, and here's your update. I promise, I'm back and won't be taking so long to update.

Bex <3