A Different Beat

norie parker

Sex was a part of the music business, but Norie's parents, especially her father had a hard time accepting that.

"Dad!" Norie stomped her foot, arms crossing over her chest, "I don't have a choice if I don't perform I get eliminated!"

"Well do they have to send you out looking like a prosti-tot?" he growled before passing a glare at Norie's stylist who shrugged carelessly

"Prosti-tot?" Norie challenged.

Rob went to speak, to shoot down his daughters comment and explain that she was simply an underage prostitute, but he fell silent as the stylist sat the biggest shoe box he had ever seen on the table, his eyes going as wide as saucers as he saw the stylist pull out a pair of thigh high boots.

His mouth fell open as he (barely managed) a squeal. "ON HELL NO-" but Norie watched as her mother snatched at his arms before dragging him out by his wrist while chastising him, making him promise to leave her alone, just for tonight.

The outfit that had been chosen for her was a bit scandalous, but she felt confident.

She had worked hard over the past week and she wasn't going to let the way they had dressed her sway the way that it went. She had to be confident, she couldn't let insecurities or heartbreak shine through in her performance like she had last week, because if she did, it would have surely been the end of her and her time on Golden Tone.

Calum let out a pathetic groan as he wiped his nose one more time.

He wasn't usually one to be angry with his sister, but after having lunch with his family, he came down with Mali's cold.

"We look sexy-" Ashton quipped, straightening the collar on the black button-up in the mirror.

In keeping with the theme, the stylists had decided to make the boys ditch their skinny jeans and bro-tanks for a more grown up look.

"Minus Calum-" Calum glared at Michael who just shrugged, "what? If you wipe that goo on the edge of your nose you'll look fine." Calum rolled his eyes before snatching up a tissue, blowing his nose- sounding like a fog horn.

Calum was on the mend, but he felt far from great.

He couldn't have made it through this past week if not for the boys- each had taken on one of his contestants and worked with them while he spent his days in bed in a Nyquil haze.

Michael had worked with Sam.
Luke had worked with Neil, and Ashton had worked with Norie.

They had all promised that his contestants were going to do great, but they had all decided to keep tight-lipped about the performances- they wanted to surprise Calum, they hadn't even let him see Sam, Neil, or Norie before the show. They did their pre-show interview before being taken to their leather chairs.

Of all the boys, Ashton was certainly the most excited.
All the contestants looked like sex- the girls with teased hair and tiny dresses while the boys had slicked back hair and unbuttoned shirts, but Ashton had caught a glimpse of Norie and he knew Calum would lose his mind.

The pre-show interviews crawled by as Ashton anticipated the start of the show- but at 9:00PM sharp the boys were sat in their seats, waiting impatiently.

Their host went through his usual spiel before spouting off the number for the voters to call and text before he finally announced their first performer of the night- and at the very sound of Norie's name, Calum felt his blood run cold.

As the stage lights dimmed Calum felt his heart speed up- so much so he wasn't actually sure how he was still conscious. There were three spotlights shining bright- one over the bassist, one over the guitarist, and one over the drummer who sat flush on his Cajón percussion box.

A red glow cast over the stage- the center was left inconspicuously dark as the audience waited in an impatient silence.

But as the bassist started to strum and the drummer started to beat along Calum became more flustered, desperate for Norie to make her appearance. But with two more strums of the bass the spotlights flickered slightly, barely illuminating the center of the stage.

It was still so dark he couldn't see her, but he could make out her silhouette, and in that moment it was if every ounce of oxygen escaped his desperate body.

A thick bass note played through the studio.

"See me up in the club with 50-leven girls
Posted in the back diamond fangs in my grill
Brooklyn brim with my eyes sittin' low-
"

The stage suddenly went bright, revealing Norie, who, as if on cue, stroked at the brim of the black and gray Brooklyn snap-back she had fitted loosely over her curls.

"Every boy in here with me got that smoke
And every girl in here gotta look me up and down
All on Instagram, cake by the pound
Circulate the image every time I come around
G's up, tell me how I'm looking babe-
"

His fingers wound tight over the arms of the chair, his knuckles going white as he squirmed, desperate to curl up into a ball and disappear (before he died of embarrassment).

Norie was in this white silk, plunging V top that tucked snugly into some high waisted, studded jean shorts. Her lips were a red matte color, her eyes dark and smokey. Her back was left completely exposed, minus the two thin strips that crossed over her spine.

Thigh high heels finished off her look.

And all he could think about was ripping those tiny shorts off of her.

"Boy, this all for you just walk my way
Just tell me how it's looking babe
Tell me how it's lookin' babe
I do this all for you, baby, just take aim
And tell me how it's looking, babe
And tell me how I'm looking, babe.
Drop the bass mayne, the bass get lower
Radio say, Speed it up, I just go slower
High like treble, puffin on them mids
The man ain't ever seen a booty like this
And why you think you keep my name rolling off the tongue
Cause when you wanna smash, I just write another one
I sneezed on the beat and the beat got sicker
Norie all on his mouth like liquor
Norie all on his mouth like liquor
like like liquor, like like like liquor-
"

The stage went quiet, making Norie smile as the crowd roared with approval.
In one swift movement, Norie tore off the hat tossing it at the judges table.

Ironically enough, it landed over Calum's lap- making his jeans grow even tighter.

Norie shared a glance with the bassist before growling a "Drop!"

And once again, the band started playing- their smiles wide as they watched Norie tear the Mic from the stand, crossing the stage.

"Driver roll up the partition please
Driver roll up the partition please
I don't need you seeing Norie on her knees
Took 45 minutes to get all dressed up
We ain't even gonna make it to this club
Now my mascara runnin', red lipstick smudged
Oh he so horny, yeah he want to fuck
He popped all my buttons and he ripped my blouse
He Monica Lewinski'd all on my gown
-"

Norie crossed the stage, smiling as she stroked at the bassists cheek, making him blush.

"Take all of me
I just wanna be the girl you like, girl you like
The kinda girl you like, girl you like
Take all of me
I just wanna be the girl you like, girl you like
The kinda girl you like
Is right here with me
Right here with me
Right here with me
Right here with me-
"

It became increasingly harder with every second for Calum to sit still -his jeans becoming so tight he thought he might explode, so much so he was actually in pain- but again, all he could imagine was getting her alone. And in the midst of it all, he found himself jealous, jealous of Ashton for getting to experience this with her throughout the week, jealous of everyone aside from himself who got to experience this performance, jealous of Holden and how got to kiss her any time he damn well pleased and how he took that for granted. He was the luckiest bastard in the world, and he treated her like a toy like she could be thrown into a dark toy box until her decided he wanted to play with her again.

But Calum was pulled from his thoughts when he felt someone -Michael- snatch the hat off his lap, placing it backwards over his candy-floss hair.

"Driver roll up the partition fast
Driver roll up the partition fast
Over there I swear I saw them cameras flash
Handprints and footprints on my glass
Handprints and good grips all on my ass-
"

Calum let out a helpless squeal, shriveling further into his chair as she took the chance to grab at her own ass, winking at Michael, Ashton, Luke and himself.

"Private show with the music blasting
He like to call me Peaches when we get this nasty
Red wine drip, talk that trash
Chauffeur eavesdropping trying not to crash"
Oh there daddy, d-daddy now you ripped my fur
Oh baby, b-baby be sweatin' on my hair
Took 45 minutes to get all dressed up
We ain't even gonna make it to this club.
"

In all of the crowd, the one person Norie constantly found herself looking to, was Calum. She wanted to know he was watching, to know he was enjoying, to know he was proud. But instead she caught him squirming in that stupid leather chair.

"Take all of me
I just wanna be the girl you like (girl you like)
The kinda girl you like (girl you like)
Take all of me
I just wanna be the girl you like, girl you like
The kinda girl you like is right here with me
Right here with me
Right here with me
Right here with me.
"

Norie couldn't help but smile as the thunderous applause rung through the studio as Ashton, Luke, and Michael stood, their smiles wide. It took a swift kick in the shin (courtesy of Ashton) to make the pained Calum stand. They waited a moment, letting the sound die down a bit before speaking.

"Norie, love-" Ashton beamed like a proud papa, "that was beautiful! I told you this in practice, but you get better with every song!" Norie smiled before blowing her temporary mentor a kiss. He had been the one to give her the confidence to make this performance happen and she truly couldn't have done it without him.

"You-" Michael started as he grinned over at Calum, "are going to be a hard act to follow! The theme this week was songs about sex, and you brought it to life, Norie!"

"There isn't much left for me to say-" Luke said with a smile and a shrug, "your vocals were on point. You did Beyonce proud!" with a shit-eating grin, Luke turned to Calum. "Cal?"

"Good job." the boys all had to cover their mouths to hide what was sure to become hysterical laughter, but Norie's lips fell into a pout.

That was all he had to say?
She had worked her ass off for a week and all he had for her was a "good job"?
She would make Calum Hood eat his words.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had so much fun writing this chapter.
You have no idea.

I couldn't imagine Norie's performance any other way than Stacy Kay's version (which is amazing, go listen to it. I promise you won't regret it!).

Also, in the midst of graduation and getting a big girl job, I have more free time then I've had since high school, so I went Polyvore stupid.

See Norie. here.

So, we would love to know what you think!
And as always, thanks so much for reading!