A Different Beat

cole denver

Elimination day was the two words that had once had Cole nervous. But today, it had her shaking on the couch, sweating through her palms as her knuckles turned a sickly white as they clenched the arm rest of the chair. Finley was beside her, his arm slung over her shoulder, which she soon shoved off. He was trying to get her to talk, asking her how she was feeling, why she had been ignoring him these past few days. Cole didn’t want to talk to Finley because she knew he was poison to her. It had taken her long enough to realise that he was just like the guys she subjected herself too back home; the bad boys who either cheated or treated her like dirt in front of his friends.

“Just back off, Fin.” She grumbled, shoving him harder. Finley seemed to get the hint, holding his hands up and mumbling a lot of profanities under his breathe.

Just then Luke finally entered, but this time he wasn’t alone. All four of 5 Seconds walked into the room, chattering and bantering between them as each in turn took a seat. Cole shared a look with Jacob who had previously been examining his nails; Finley looked a little nervous, but like always, hid it well under that smirk she had once buckled at the knees for, but now found it skin crawling.

“Hey guys and girls,” Ashton beamed a smile. Jacob sat up straight and shot the drummer his best smile- it was no joke that he had the biggest crush on Ashton.

“Hey,” They all mumbled back, Jacob adding a little finger wave.

“So you’re all probably wondering why you have all four of us, and well the answer to that is simple; Luke over here, couldn’t decide.” Calum spoke, looking at all three in turn before his eyes landed on his blonde haired bandmate.

“And he was worried any of his personal feelings would cloud his judgement, so we’re here to be his eyes. We only really know you guys from brief encounters around the house and what you deliver on stage, so we can only judge on that.” Michael added, placing a hand on Luke’s shoulder.

Cole was listening, but she couldn’t say her eyes never left her mentor. She didn’t like the space that had been wedged between them recently. He was cold and distant to her and slowly she began missing the late conversations they would have. Luke was smart and he had always managed to have them sneak past the cameras blind spots so no one ever knew, especially not the producers. However, they never broke the rules of their contract, but who would believe and that two young teens would be up most the night talking?

Luke’s eyes finally found hers and instantly she looked down, hurt flashing bright within them. She was usually good with her poker face, but how could she hold back all these emotions when they were being thrown at her by the one guy she thought has seen past what every guy took advantage of. She had been foolish to have fallen for him. He probably knew all along that her feelings went deeper and he wanted to spare her the humiliation.

“So we’ve all been talking and luckily have all come to an agreement on who we believe is ready to go home.” Calum spoke again. “Jacob, your performance, like always, was diva-esque and full of confidence. You probably realise your habit of putting so much into it cost you some of those high notes. However, your personality and talent is close to star potential and we all agreed that we want to see this softer side you’ve been working on. So, well done Jacob, you’ve made the top two.”

“Cole,” Ashton took over, looking at the blonde with an expression she was trying to read, but was having no luck with. “One thing we can all agree with you, is that you pretty much have the entire package. You are confident, ooze sex appeal that the boys will love and you have a voice that isn’t one you come across often. You definitely have that individuality with your voice in the competition, which works in your favour. But, we find that your outside activities are really painting a poor name for you. It’s no secret the few spats you’ve had with fellow contestants and not to mention your flirty nature that has riled up a few of the others. You are a beautiful girl, but right now you need to use that in your work, not your sexual pursuits.” Cole could feel her cheeks growing red. Did they really think she tried pursuing the men in this house for sex? The familiar ache of humiliation crept in as Cole suddenly stood to her feet. She looked wide eye at all of them before stopping at Luke. Her mouth opened and she stuttered for a second before feeling the warmth of tears in her eyes.

“Sorry,” She mumbled, before making a dash for the door. Behind her she heard the familiar voice calling her name, but she didn’t stop. Cole found herself to her room, looking at the mess of clothes that Luke had once teased her about.

She fell to her knees in front of the bed and pulled out her suitcase. Not caring that her clothes weren’t folded, she begins throwing each item into the case, her teary eyes blurring her vision.

How could she be so stupid?

Now the whole house, including the mentors, saw her as some no good whore who was here for the men and sex. Didn’t they see how serious she took her work? She never missed a practice, made sure she was always early to get in extra sessions. She never slacked, and although she socialised with both boys and girls in the house, it was now apparent that her confidence with men was being perceived as more important than her singing.

There was a gentle knock at her door, but she ignored it and carried on relentlessly throwing in items of clothing.

The sound of the door opening and closing doesn’t interrupt her and when the familiar cologne invades her senses, it only makes her hesitate for a second.

“Leave me alone, Luke.” She sniffles, standing to her feet and scooping all her cosmetics into her arms and falling back to her knees again, tipping them all into the case.

“Why are you packing?” He asks, that soft and concern that had been vacant from his tone this week was back. Kind and caring Luke was back, but for how long, she wondered!

“Because I can’t possibly stay here after knowing what you all think of me and because I don’t doubt that I have been eliminated this week. God, how stupid was I to think people would ever take me serous!” Her actions halt as sobs wrack her body. Cole’s body hunches over as she places her head in her hands and allows the tears to fall freely. She feels Luke fall to the floor beside her, his strong arms roping around her and pulling her into him. She doesn’t fight, all energy gone from her body as she cries into his chest.

She feels his hands caress her hair and she cries harder when his lips touch the top of her head. Why was he being so nice after a week of ignoring her and making her feeling so small?

“You haven’t been eliminated, Cole.” Luke finally said, lifting her head to look at him. Her eyes are red and blood shocked, but he couldn’t deny how beautiful she still looked. “Finley’s gone. All the guys agreed that his attitude was stinking up this competition.”

“But, everything Ashton said…” Cole choked, rubbing furiously at her eyes, thanking her stars she didn’t wear any make-up today.

“Ashton has never been great with wording things. I know what he said sounded the way it did, but believe me, he didn’t mean it like that. The guys all love you, you’re funny and yes, you have that cheeky flirty side but they know how serious you are about this. I should have had Calum speak instead of Ashton, he has a heart of gold, but he really has a habit of putting his foot in it!”

“Its fine, you don’t need to cover for them, I know how they all feel.” Cole is now sitting up still rubbing at her tear stained cheeks.

Luke grabs her head in both his hands and forces her to look at him. Cole finally gives in and looks into his eyes, staring into those pools of blue that she had grown to love so much.

“Listen to me, please.” His voice is so soft and tender, she can’t help but nod, “You are a talented and beautiful girl who I know has every chance of winning this competition. Yes, granted you’ve made some poor choices, Finley Ross being one, but never have you let that deter you from your dream.” Luke’s words have that calming effect on her that her whole body lies limp against him again, laying her head on his shoulder.

“How did you know about Finley?” Cole asks meekly.

“I overheard you speaking one time.” He admits. “And I overheard a little more.”

Cole gasps and pulls back, feeling the humiliation creeping back in once again.

“No, I didn’t mean that! No, I just heard you kissing.” Luke holds his hands up in innocence. Cole breathes out and sighs. “So, you did… stuff with him?” Luke is now looking awkward, scratching the back of his neck in a habit of his.

Cole couldn’t help but crack a smile.

“Luke, I didn’t have sex with Finley, if that’s what you’re asking.” She smiles kindly, sliding her hand in one of his. Luke looks at her and he can’t help but smile. “And you’re right, Finley was a stupid mistake; a mistake I’ve repeated too many times.”

“I don’t want to see you being with such pricks, when I know you deserve such better.” Luke rubs circles into her palm with his thumb, an action that is helping Cole hit complete calmness. He always has had this effect on her, whatever mood she had been in.

“I know I do. I need to find a guy who doesn’t just want me for the physical stuff or because they want a ‘pretty piece of arse’ on their arm- yes, those words have been used.” Cole chuckles slightly. “I guess I need to find a guy like you.” She finally says in a matter-oh-fact tone.

“Oh.” Luke stutters out, his cheeks growing a deep shade of crimson.

Cole knew in that moment she wanted to reach over and kiss Luke. She wanted to run her hands through his dishevelled blonde hair that today wasn’t styled to perfection. She wanted to wrap her arms around his torso and bury her face into his neck and just sit there, surrounding her senses with only him. But he was her mentor and she knew that even though there was no cameras in her room, she still couldn’t break any rules or make it seem like her time here is based on Luke’s emotional feelings, rather than his professional opinion.

“I wish the circumstances were different.” Luke speaks, admitting in fewer words, but admitting none the less, that he wanted to be with her. Usually Cole would need more elaboration, but she could see the adoration in his eyes that matched hers. Luke and she couldn’t be together, not until all this was done with and even then they could face scrutiny.

“I know, I wish that too,” Cole sighs, looking away at her half packed suitcase that is spilling out everywhere. Maybe leaving would be the answer. She could possibly regret giving up her dream for one guy, but deep down she knew Luke could possibly be worth it.

“I know that I could regret this because it could completely wipe out all the self-control I have built around you, but I know I need to know what it feels like, to be sure that all this is real.” Luke gulps, reaching out and cupping her cheek in one hand and using his other to tangle it in her hair. “Just tell me to stop.” He whispers, leaning closer. She wasn’t going to stop him because she needed to know and they both knew that with one kiss, all their fears and hopes would be clear.

When Luke’s lips touched hers, she was briefly aware of the coldness of his lip ring, before her attention was taken by the softness of his lips. They lingered closed for a second, before the kiss moved from a simple peck to something more fast and urgent. Cole tasted so sweet, those beautiful plump lips being everything he had imagined.

Cole laced her arms around his neck and pulled herself so she was on his lap, straddling his waist as the kiss deepened further. Her tongue brushed against his and Luke let out a deep groan. She knew they had both planned for this to be a simple kiss, but now they were heading into dangerous territory.

Luke was hard against her, Cole turning him on beyond anything he had felt before. No girl had had this effect on him before and although it scared him how submissive his body was to her touch, he knew it was because he was no longer denying himself and was letting go for the first time in a long time.

“Cole,” He moaned her name as she pulled back. She rested her forehead against his as they both smiled and tried to catch their breathe. “What have you done to me, Miss Denver!?” He smiled, caressing her cheek gently.

“I could say the same, Mr Hemming’s,” she giggled, pecking his lips one more time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I couldn't wait too long to get this out to you; I loved writing this chapter so much!

Thank you to all who are still with us and we all hope you're enjoying what you're reading.

Bex<3