A Different Beat

margo gale

Margo just tried to focus all her attention on Damien as they sat in the studio with Ashton, trying to decide what to do for a duet. Finding something that fit her more alternative style of singing and Damien’s near R&B sound was proving to be quite the feat, and she was glad that the duets didn’t have to match the 80’s theme. She had already been struggling to find a solo song, so a duet might have been impossible. Ashton let out a long sigh, running a hand through his curly hair as his eyes flickered to Margo.

Ever since his rejection she hadn’t spoken a word to him, and he didn’t know how much longer he could take it. It wasn’t as if he’d wanted to do it, he wanted nothing more than to go back and kiss her, finally let whatever it was that had been pulling him towards her since day one take over. But when he remembered how distraught Michael had been after kissing Jasey, he knew he couldn’t do that to her.

“Okay.” Damien said, holding up his hands. “Everyone just say your favorite song, first one that you think of.” Ashton felt his jaw tighten as Margo looked up at Damien, smiling softly. He knew she was just doing it to piss him off, but that didn’t mean it wasn’t working.

“Jealous.” Ashton spat out, collapsing back against the floor. “By Chromeo. I heard it the other day and can’t get it out of my head.”

“I love that song.” Ashton shot up as he heard Margo chuckle, but when his eyes caught hers she looked away. “But it’d be really hard to pull off as a duet. We’d have to change the lyrics to a man for me or else it’d look like we’re fighting over the same girl or something.”

“Oh you know the crowd would love that.” Damien teased, winking at her. Margo flushed, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

Anyway.” She said, her voice a touch higher than normal. “What about you Damien?” He pressed his lips together before giving her a devilish smile. Ashton seethed, that smirk making him borderline homicidal.

“Gorilla by Bruno Mars.”

“Already been done.” Ashton said quickly. He’d kill himself before he saw Damien sing about doing to Margo what Ashton’s body was aching for every second of the day. “Besides, we have the same problem as Jealous of changing the lyrics.”

“Then I guess it’s all on you Margo.” Damien said, setting his hand on the top of her head. She tapped her chin with her finger before shooting up, her arm flying into the sky in her eureka moment.

“Stay with Me by Sam Smith!” She hollered. “It’s more Damien’s style but I think it’d make for a great duet.” Damien smiled widely, standing up and twirling her around.

Guess it’s true I’m not good at a one night stand, but I still need love ‘cause I’m just a man.” He spun her under his arms, rocking back and forth as he continued. “These nights never seem to go to plan, I don’t want you to leave will you hold my hand?” Margo smiled broadly as he spun her out of his arms before pulling her in close again. Their noses were touching, and by the way Margo’s cheeks heated up, Ashton knew the clip would make the show.

“Damien.” He snapped, unable to watch another moment of their tender embrace. They both froze, looking over at their coach, who was fuming. “Go tell the producers before someone else claims it for a duet.” Ashton’s eyes then moved to Margo’s, the fire in them causing her blood to chill. “I need to have a conversation with Miss Gale.” Margo gave Damien a pleading look, begging him not to leave, but he knew the two of them needed to talk. Besides, the sexual tension between Margo and their coach was beginning to suffocate him. So Damien gave Margo a warm smile, patting her on the head before shutting the door.

Ashton hopped up, locking the door before pulling off his jacket. He threw it over the camera in the corner, giving them as much privacy as he could as he waked over to her. There would still be audio, but he didn’t care. Margo looked terrified as he bit his lip, knowing that if he didn’t make a move now someone else would. He knew Damien was harmless, but he’d seen her fan mail, tweets from men much more handsome then him asking to take her out to dinner. His jealousy had been getting worse with each love letter, each “number one fan” and he hno one to blame but himself. And when he’d seen her dancing with Damien, he couldn’t see anything but her dancing with him if only he’d had the courage to tell her how he felt.

“I found a song for you.” He said, hitting the play button on his iPod as an eighties list started. He’d put it on shuffle, so when “Take on Me” came on he was just as surprised as Margo. But he cranked the volume to full blast, making sure they wouldn’t be heard. He promptly pressed Margo back against the wall, biting his lip as she let out a small gasp. “I was trying to protect you.” He whispered into her ear, feeling her shiver from his warm breath. “If I kissed you and you got kicked off I’d never forgive myself.”

Margo’s head was spinning as she tried to pull away from Ashton. She searched his eyes to see if he was telling the truth, but she’d never been a good judge of a liar. She pressed her lips together tightly, trying to weasel her way out of his arms, but his grip tightened. Her stomach was a tangle of knots, her arms burning under his touch as his hazel eyes stayed with hers. He licked his lips nervously and all Margo could think about was them meeting her own. “Ashton.” She whispered. “I… I…” She couldn’t complete a thought, let alone a sentence, with him this close to her. She could feel his breath rolling over her face, the electricity from his body as it stood so close to hers, the distance unbearable.

“I’ve…” His face was scarlet, and she could see the weight of a confession in his stunning eyes as he looked into hers. “I’ve wanted you since day one Margo. When I turned my chair I couldn’t believe how beautiful you were. And every second I spend with you, every performance, every laugh, it makes me want you even more.” She couldn’t breathe as he leaned over, pressing his forehead against hers. “I’m completely mad about you Margo, but I’m your coach. If anyone found out you’d be kicked off the show.”

“I can’t breathe.” She gasped quietly.

“I know it’s a lot to take in.” He murmured. “But I swear, the minute this is done, if you’ll still have me, I’ll make you the happiest girl in the world.” With that Ashton pulled back, looking at her and waiting for a response. But after what seemed like hours with her just staring at him with doe eyes, he sighed. “I’m so fucking stupid.” He muttered, starting to walk away.

Margo blinked several times, never having been good at expressing her feelings. But she knew she couldn’t just let Ashton walk out of her life, not like this. “Ashton, wait.” He turned back to her and she grabbed his wrist, pulling him close before she kissed him. His eyes flew open before he smiled, pulling her close as their lips parted. He just smiled at her, running a hand through her hair.

“We can’t do anything.” He whispered. “Not until the show is over.”

“Ashton I don’t care-”

“But I do.” He whispered, cradling her face in his hand. “Please Margo, you have to trust me.” She sighed, pressing her lips together.

“Okay.” He went to step away, but she touched his shoulder. “One last one? To hold us over?” He smiled at her, pulling her close and crashing his lips to hers, pulling their bodies as close as he could. But just as he wondered if they had time for a bit more than kissing, she pulled away. “We should get to work on my song.” She laughed, teasing him. He smiled widely.

“Sounds like a plan.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long everyone!
I've been having computer problems.
But let us know what you think!
And thanks for reading :)

oxoxoxoxox
Ashlee