A Different Beat

cole denver

Cole paced back and forth, mumbling the 80s lyrics under her breath as she urged herself to calm down and gain some control of her nerves. Tonight would be the night when everyone would be doing two performances. First was a 80s themed song, which she had finally picked after Luke and her had gone back and forth with it for hours. The second performance was a duet with her and Jacob. Now it had been narrowed down to two in each team, a duet had seemed a good way to go. Cole had enjoyed learning a song with Jacob, who both decided they wanted to have fun with theirs.

When Cole told Luke she wanted to give Purple Rain a go and really show case the power in her voice- so far she felt her performances had only showed her softer side- Luke had smiled from ear to ear. He had kissed her fiercely and told her that it was perfect. Jacob had loved her choice and then rambled on about Prince’s skinny little butt. Jacob had chosen Cyndi Lauper, True Colours. He was really showing his softer side after being told he didn’t always come across as taking things serious in the competition.

And then there was the duet. Although this song could be from whatever era, they had both had so much fun with the 80s that they decided to take on Journey’s song, Don’t Stop Believin’. Cole was a secret Glee fan, so doing the famous duet was going to be so much fun for her.

“Cole, are you okay?” His voice was like warm velvet to her ears and his warm breath against her ear dissolved all nerves. She was doing this for not only herself, but for Luke as well. She really wanted to make him proud. “Please tell me you aren’t dwelling on that note earlier?”

Cole sighed and nodded. In rehearsal she had struggled to hit one of the notes and her voice had always fallen flat. This song was testing her abilities, but she wanted to put herself out there.

“Of course I am, I’m really nervous, Luke.” She wanted to fall into his arms and inhale that comforting smell and for him to kiss her head and tell her everything would be fine. But unlike the safety of their rooms, cameras were everywhere and were watching every move they both made.

“You’re amazing, note or not, you will do fantastic!” She could see him staring at her lips with longing in those blue eyes.

“Cole Denver, you’re up next.” A male voice smirked at her, ushering her to the stage. She had once flirted with the guy, but now the way his hand lingered on the small of her back with his fingers brushing the top curve of her arse, well it was uncomfortable.

Cole turned to see the fire in Luke’s eyes as he stared at the stage helps hand. Cole moved from the boys touch and sent Luke a warm smile. He mouthed good luck and returned to his chair just in time for the adverts to end.

Cole waited anxiously at the side of the stage, waiting for her cue. Finally the famous song began playing and Cole slowly moved onto the dark stage onto the single spot light that touched a platform she would be standing on. She took to the mic and knowing Luke’s eyes were on her, she gave it everything she could.

“I never meant to cause you any sorrow
I never meant to cause you any pain
I only wanted to one time to see you laughing
I only wanted to see you
Laughing in the purple rain

Purple rain, purple rain
Purple rain, purple rain
Purple rain, purple rain
I only wanted to see you
Bathing in the purple rain

I never wanted to be your weekend lover
I only wanted to be some kind of friend
Baby, I could never steal you from another
It's such a shame our friendship had to end…”


Luke smiled as the spotlight illuminated every inch of Cole’s beauty. She had on a robe when he had seen her backstage because she was cold and he could see why. The dress she was wearing was strapless and was held up purely by her breast that Luke’s eyes kept straying too; he was a man after all. It clung to her curves and hit the floor. When she turned he could see it was backless and there was no sign of a bra- it made his restrain in front of the cameras falter more and more when he realised how much her body and beauty affected him. Cole was very high street, so seeing her in this elegant dress was new and something that had Luke picture himself at his music and business events with her on his arm. He would be the envy of all men.

“Purple rain, purple rain
Purple rain, purple rain
Purple rain, purple rain
I only wanted to see you
Underneath the purple rain

Honey, I know, I know
I know times are changing
It's time we all reach out
For something new, that means you too

You say you want a leader
But you can't seem to make up your mind
I think you better close it
And let me guide you to the purple rain

Purple rain, purple rain
Purple rain, purple rain
If you know what I'm singing about up here
C'mon, raise your hand

Purple rain, purple rain
I only want to see you
Only want to see you
In the purple rain”


The song ended and the spotlight disappeared and all lights were now on. Cole’s eyes immediately found Luke’s and she beamed such a large smile which told him she had been thrilled she had hit that note. He never doubted her in the first place.

“Cole Denver, that right there is how you secure a place in the final.” Ashton beamed, standing up and giving her a salute. Cole chuckled and thanked the drummer.

“I think Luke has a very difficult decision on his hands, you and Jacob both showed us new sides of your singing, but I agree, I think Luke would be foolish not to take you all the way.” Calum smiled, giving her a small nod. “It was an incredible vocal- who knew you had such power!”

“That song is one of my favourites, so thank you for singing that for us tonight. I agree though, Luke has a very tough decision on his hands here and the duet later will be your chance to secure that spot for yourself.” Michael added.

“You guys really like making my life harder; I have a very big decision to make that is for sure.” Luke smiled that smile that had butterflies invading Cole’s stomach and made her knees go weak.

Backstage, people congratulated her, but Cole was now focusing on the duet. She would have fun and make sure she secured her spot as Luke’s final contestant.

The show went on as the other acts performed. Everyone was amazing and had seemed to step their game up tonight- it was obviously evident to everyone that this was now make or break. Finally it was time for Jacob and Cole to take the stage together. She was now out of her dress and comfortably in her own fashion choice that consisted of black Levi jean shorts that were fraying at the edges. Along with it, she had an off the shoulder white top that ended below the bust, showing off her flat stomach that she had always been proud of. Around her waist she had tied a red tartan shirt and on her feet were some chunky platform heels. Her hair was in its natural wild state and minimal make-up was on her face.

“Ready?” Jacob smiled, holding out his hand. There were no hard feelings or bitterness, they knew one would win over the other, but they were both certain they wouldn’t allow it to break their strong friendship they had formed in the house.

“Ready.” Cole smiled.

The famous tune started playing and Jacob let go of her hand to take the stage. Cole took it a moment later, coming on as her first line was sung. The crowd was pumped at the song choice and they had most people on their feet. Cole enjoyed herself, dancing and swaying her hips in a way she knew was a little provocative, but she had to play up to her strengths.

The night had now ended and everyone was now waiting to gather on stage. Elimination would be like this tonight, with each pair standing in line with their mentor’s chair. Cole held tight onto Jacob’s hand. He gave her a small nervous smile, but the wink told Cole that she wouldn’t lose a friend over this.

Luke went first and Cole used Jacob as a support, because she was sure her legs would eventually fail her and she wasn’t prepared to face plant on national TV.

“I always knew I would have you two here, you’ve been consistent and great through every week. I wished one of you would have slipped with vocals or attitude, just so my decision could have been made for me, but I know I’m dealing with two potential stars on my hands.” Luke was leant forward on his chair, his eyes trailing from Cole to Jacob and back again. “Jacob, you have been a little firecracker from day one and tonight she showed everyone that you have a sweet and vulnerable side. People can emphasise with you and that makes you a people’s person, which will help you sell records.

And then there is you, Cole. People had you down wrong all along, they didn’t see below the surface until tonight. You’re deeper than people imagined and you showed me and everyone how much you wanted this tonight. You have the look that all the boys would eat up and the voice to match; that will help you sell records! But I also think you’ll have plenty of female fans as well because you are relatable. You are misunderstood and a lot of girls and even boys can relate to that!”

Cole stared at Luke and a shred of panic took over her. If Luke chose her and things eventually came out about them, she would suffer a lot of scrutiny from the people and press. But if he didn’t choose her, again her life would be over. She couldn’t imagine not singing and this would be her only big break to reach that dream she could just feel beneath her fingertips.

“This is by no means an easy decision for me, but I’m going for the person who I think has given their complete all and energy into this show. They haven’t allowed the limelight to faze them and have acted more than professional. They have faced scrutiny and came out stronger and for that, I know they will go on to win this show for me and for themselves. They will be a star and I know there is a gap in the market for such a young, talented and down to earth star.

I would like to say thank you to Jacob for all his hard work and I wish him all the luck, but I’m afraid you will be returning home. The act I choose to take to the finals, is Cole.”

Cole sucked in a long breath and stared up at Jacob who looked anything but bitter. He hugged Cole close and kissed her cheek.

“Do me proud, gorgeous.” He whispered. Jacob pulled back and hugged Luke who was now on stage hugging the tall gay who quickly wiped away the stray tear.

Jacob left the stage and Luke took his spot next to Cole. She looked up at him and Luke stared down into Cole’s wide and still surprised eyes. Luke’s eyes shimmered with glee as he placed a hand on her shoulder.

“You deserve this.” He whispered for her ears only and Cole finally allowed the brilliant smile to grace her face.

She was in the final.
She had made it.
Now all she had to do was win.
♠ ♠ ♠
Duet outfit!

So Cole is going all the way to the final. I won't lie, I almost had him send her home, but I couldn't do it. Luke's in too deep and even he couldn't even fathom letting her go already!

Let us know what you think.

-Bex <3