A Different Beat

margo gale

The pressure was too much as Margo sat in the wings, waiting with Damien for their duet. Her solo had been shaky, but good. But seeing as Damien had completely killed it, she was absolutely terrified. She was so scared of going home, of never hearing from Ashton again because she wasn’t good enough. The pressure was gripping her mind like a vice until she felt a warm hand on her shoulder.

She turned to see Jasey, still in her Grease outfit, giving her a warm smile. With that once hand Margo knew she understood everything. With a small sigh, she grabbed Jasey in a hug, surprising the other girl.

“He’s going to kick me off. Damien blew me out of the water.” She whimpered.

“No he won’t.” Jasey promised, patting Margo’s head softly. “That high note is brutal, he understands.” Margo nodded, not wanting to leave the embrace until she felt a large, familiar hand on her back.

“Come on Margo.” Damien whispered. “Time to knock the world dead.” She pulled back from Jasey, giving her a small smile and a wave as Damien set an arm around her slim frame.

“I don’t want him to kick you off. You deserve to win.” Margo murmured.

“I don’t want him to kick you off, because so do you.” He promised, taking her hand in his and giving it a small squeeze. “So how about this, whoever wins has to do a duet album with the loser? And we have to promise to hang out, even though Ashton will hate it.”

She giggled at that before giving a small nod, wrapping Damien in a tight squeeze. “I’m so glad I met you, not matter what happens.”

“Same here Margo.”

With that they heard the host announce their names and walked out, arms loosely around each other to the cheering fans. Margo felt the butterflies she got every time she performed, but then she saw Ashton.

He was completely captivated by her, as usual, but this time he didn’t try so hard to hide it. She looked like a goddess in a blush pink, flowing dress, her hair down in soft waves. Ashton wanted nothing more than to run up and kiss her, let the world see she was his and his alone, but somehow managed to restrain himself. He bit his lip, watching as the lights faded and the soft piano melody began.

Guess it’s true I’m not good at a one night stand, but I still need love cause I’m just a man. These nights never seem to go to plan, I don’t want you to leave will you hold my hand?” With that Damien took Margo’s hand in hiss, all the women in the audience swooning at his smooth voice. Ashton knew that, even if he didn’t win, Damien would have no problems getting a record deal. Ashton smiled, knowing the crowd was going to loose it when they heard their two voices blend together.

Oh, won't you stay with me? 'Cause you're all I need. This ain't love, it's clear to see, but darling, stay with me” Margo and Damien seemed as though they were meant to sing this song together to Ashton. His sultry high notes and her powerful lows meshed perfectly. And as she opened those perfect lips to sing her piece, Ashton felt his heart race. She turned those big brown eyes right on him, demanding his full attention as she sang just for him.

Why am I so emotional? No, it's not a good look, gain some self-control. And deep down I know this never works, but you can lay with me so it doesn't hurt.” At that moment, Ashton knew he was completely and totally in love with this girl. He wanted to lay with her every night, hold her hand, kiss her lips, he wanted all of her and he knew it was seriously affecting his judgment. He didn’t want to send her home, he wanted to keep her with him forever.

Margo couldn’t take her eyes off Ashton as she and Damien sang the last bit of the song together, listening as the audience cooed to their tightly held hands. Margo was still terrified however, not knowing what Ashton was going to do. She wanted him to pick her, but because she was the best, not because he liked her. And as the song came to a close, she felt Damien pull her into his side, the two of them nervous and jittery as they looked at the four boys.

“Wow, Ashton you have got a tough choice mate.” Calum laughed, running a hand through his hair. “You both are fantastic, and Margo, you completely redeemed yourself with that high note.” She nodded meekly and Calum let out a long breath. “I am not envious of your coach right now I’ll say that much.”

“Good luck to both of you, whatever happens.” Luke piped in. “You both deserve this. It’s a shame Ashton can only pick one.”

“It’s a shame I didn’t pick either of you.” Michael laughed. “Ashton saw it though, we all may have turned for Damien, but Ashton was the only one who believed in Margo. And now you’ve turned us all into believers.”

“That’s pretty sweet coming from you.” Luke laughed. This was promptly answered with a punch in the arm from Michael as all eyes turned to Ashton. Margo’s heart was fluttering a mile a minute as he just sat there with his head in his hands. Seeing him like that made her ache inside, he looked like he was in so much pain.

“This is the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make.” He whispered, his mike barely catching him. He sat up slowly, looking at the two of them. “I told you both from the beginning I knew you’d be my two finalists, and now here we are.” He chuckled. “And I still have no idea what to do.”

You could hear a pin drop in the arena as everyone waited, wondering what Ashton’s final judgment would be. Damien just held Margo a little tighter, both praying it would be them as Ashton slowly sat up fully, looking at both his team members.

“Damien.” He said softly. “I’m sorry mate but I have to choose her.” Margo saw the commotion around her as the crowd cheered, some holding signs with her name, but everything was silent. She blinked slowly, her eyes locked on Ashton as she felt Damien scoop her up and spin her around. This was real, this was happening. Margo Gale was going to the finale, Ashton had chosen her. But as the noise began to fade back in, she couldn’t help but wonder.

Was it for the right reasons?
♠ ♠ ♠
Did Ashton choose her for the right reasons?
Who will win the finale?
Stay tuned and find out!
Thanks so much for reading

oxoxoxoxox
Ashlee