A Different Beat

margo gale

Ashton ran a hand through his messy curls as he looked over to see Calum next to him, chuckling at something the contestant had said. Ashton just sighed, leaning further back in his chair. They were already a fair way into this and Cal had two people on his team, three for Luke, and even Michael had one. But none of them were catching Ashton’s attention, none just had that spark, that special fire inside them that made Ashton know they weren’t just some run of the mill singer.

“Come on Ash, you’ve got to start catching up.” Luke teased. Ashton smirked as the chairs started to turn back around.

“Slow and steady wins the race Luke.” He noted, scratching his chin.

“Well you wait too long and there won’t be anybody left.” Michael hollered from the other end. Ashton just chuckled, leaning back and folding his arms behind his head.

“I’ll know the one when I hear them. Trust me.”

Margo’s hands were shaking violently as she peeked out from behind the curtain. There had to be at least six thousand people out there, and she suddenly felt like this had been a massive mistake. She turned around, planning on running back to the colony, where she knew she wouldn’t be laughed at again, but a techie caught her.

“Come on Miss Gale, you’re up.” He said flatly.

“Wait I changed my-” But she didn’t have time to finish before he shoved her onto the stage, causing her to trip and fall to the floor flat on her arse. The light blinded her as she looked out to see the audience chuckling at her. She wanted nothing more than to run when she heard a voice, coming from the very first chair on the right.

“Come on now mates, cut it.” She couldn’t help but blush as the crowd quieted, allowing her to get to her feet. She then heard the voice again, smiling at its sweet sound. “Go ahead, there’s no need to be nervous.”

She felt a wave of courage wash through her as she walked over to the center of the stage where the microphone was. She listened to the deep chords as the song started, taking a deep breath before she began.

“Please, the ward he offers me a pack of cigarettes.
They aren’t his, and yet I feel it coming on
I feel it coming on a sense of welling grief”


Ashton could hear the nerves in the young girl’s voice as she started out, but there was something there, something in the sad yet hopeful tone that intrigued him. He sat forward, looking at the button that would turn his chair and invite the girl to be on his team. He bit his lip, deciding to give it a little longer. And as drums began to ring through the stadium and the girl’s voice took off, Ashton didn’t even hesitate.

“ And though they‘re serving samovar, somehow I’d rather be
Up in an airplane above the archipelago.
I stuttered in my armour in an airplane above the archipelago.
I could see where you grew up, and the murderer in me.”


Margo flushed as she saw the first chair on the right, the one that held that voice that had given her so much courage turn, revealing a handsome dirty blonde with a perfect smile. But when he saw her his smile dropped, his eyes wide as he just looked at her. Margo felt her nerves return at his shock, wondering if he was regretting his decision.

“Please, the blanket and the sheets,
The leaves the gardener rakes are articles of faith.
The company believes I’m running derelict around these foreign streets.
The colonel knows I want to crack his head for taking me”


Ashton knew he was staring, and could tell by her shaky voice that he was scaring her, but he couldn’t help it. This girl was absolutely, completely, and in all other ways undeniably beautiful. Her dark hair was held back in a messy bun, a few curls escaping and framing her heart shaped face. Her dark eyes were locked directly on him, and Ashton felt his heartbeat speed up. He then just smiled, knowing he had made the right move in waiting to pick his team. He beamed at her, starting to nod his head to the music and watched as her nerves vanished.

“Up in an airplane above the archipelago.
I stuttered in my armour in an airplane above the archipelago.
Now I see where you grew up, and the murderer in me.”


Margo felt her confidence skyrocket as she sang, just keeping her eyes on the warm hazel gaze in the boy who’d made her reservations vanish. She didn’t care who else turned around, she didn’t care what they offered. All she knew was that this boy was the only one she wanted to be her coach. She felt brave as he smiled at her, feeling like the entire stadium had vanished, leaving only the two of them.

“They said there was an ice age forty thousand years ago.
Incidents of road rage warring on the streets below.
They said there was an ice age forty thousand years ago.
Incidents of road rage warring on the streets below.”


Ashton chuckled as she let her head fall back, belting the last verse and spinning and dancing around the stage. He thought she looked absolutely beautiful as her white dress spun and twirled with her movements, making her look like some kind of angel. He heard Cal chuckle at his expression next to him, but he didn’t care. Something about this girl mystified him, drew him towards her, and he’d be a fool to ignore it.

“Up in an airplane above the archipelago.
I stuttered in my armour in an airplane above the archipelago.
Now I see where you grew up, and the murderer in me.”


As the music ended in one last flourish the crowd applauded and Margo beamed. It turned out no one had chosen her but the handsome blonde boy as the other chairs turned, revealing their coaches. But all Margo saw was the blonde boy as he hopped up the steps, giving her a knee weakening smile.

“What’s your name love?” He cooed.

“Margo.” She whispered. “Margo Gale.” He grinned even more widely at that, his dimples making Margo’s heart flutter.

“Well Margo.” He said, wrapping her in a tight, one armed hug. “Welcome to Team Ashton.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww,
what do you think will happen with Margo and Ash?
The song she sings in Miiks Snow's "Archipelago"
Which you can listen to here if you like
Thanks for reading!

oxoxoxoxox
Ashlee