A Different Beat

norie parker

Rowan was one of the few things in this world that was still pure and wonderful. She was eleven and not quite yet a teenager, and she still considered Norie to be her best friend, but Norie knew that wouldn't last much longer because before long she would be a teenager and the days of wanting to be like Norie- wearing the same shoes, begging to borrow clothes and the 'Best Friend' necklaces would be gone. It was something that would irritate most older siblings, but Norie didn't mind.

Rowan clung to Norie's left hand, her kinky caramel hair tickling at Norie's arm, her eyes bouncing from the stage just beyond the curtain then back to Norie. "Norie-" she chirped, her voice barely audible over all the commotion.

"Yeah, Row?" Norie spoke, tearing her eyes from the sheet music.

"Which boy do you think will pick you?"

Norie swallowed hard, how was she supposed to tell Rowan that there was a very real possibility that she may not be picked at all? They had already seen more people than they could have cared to count, leave the stage teary eyed and angry. Norie knew that there was a 50/50 chance, the possibility was very real that she could go home.

So instead she said: "I don't know, Row."

"Have you chosen your song?" her mother interrupted, trying to break down some of the tension that she knew was eating away at Norie.

Norie just shook her head, "Yeah..."

"Eleanor Parker!" the man with the clipboard the the headset boomed. Norie barely had a chance to call attention to herself before the man was grabbing at her. "You the family?" her mother and father nodded, "You'll need to go over there to the viewing spot where those cameras are. Norie do you have your cheet-"

"Here-" Norie handed the man the music, earning a nod.

"Perfect- you look great. You're up next..." the man handed her a microphone before sending her to the side-stage, the boy just before her receiving a less than positive review on the stage in front of the crowd.

Now, she would wait.

The boys were all getting tired, they had been at it for hours at this point. They had only gotten twenty minutes for lunch and the producers had pumped them full of so much Red Bull it was a wonder they weren't vibrating out of their chairs and across the stage.

But like clockwork someone hit a button, making their chairs spin away from the stage, now facing the massive studio audience, the insessant chatter drowning everything out as the boys griped at each other.

"I swear-" Luke hummed to his best mates, "if I hear one more fuckin' rendition of Wrecking Ball I may shoot myself in the goddamned head."

"Yeah, well if i hear one more Taylor Swift song I'm going to drown myself in the bath tonight." Calum groaned, sinking deeper into the tall leather chair.

"I can't take another Cups audition!" Michael called from his spot at the end of the line.

"I don't think I can stand to hear one more bad Bruno Mars wannabe..." Ashton chimed in, opening yet another can of Red Bull.

"Oi!" Jeff called, his eyes locked in a tight glower. "Quite your belly achin' would ya?"

But he would earn five very profound eye rolls before the lights would flicker out. Honestly, they were all tired- at this point Calum had two people on his team, Luke had taken on three people, while Ashton had three and Michael had only one remaining spot after taking on four people.

They were all just ready to go home.

But the spotlight plashed, finding its place, fixed in the center of the round black stage.

Two short notes of the piano played before the girl began to sing, her voice unique from the others, mostly thanks to the absence of nerves. Her tone was soulful with a side of pop, a voice that, with the right training could become a hit.

With every word she sang, Calum moved closer towards his button- his heart slowly sinking into every word she sang, but as the word 'lie' rolled off her tongue slow and soulful, he slapped the red button- his chair spinning, his smile wide.

"I can't buy your love, don't even wanna try.
Sometimes the truth won't make you happy, still I'm not gonna lie.
But don't ever question if my heart beats only for you, it beats only for you.
I know I'm far from perfect, nothin' like your entourage
I can't grant you any wishes, I won't promise you the stars.
But don't ever question if my heart beats only for you, it beats only for you.
"

The girl was short, and unlike many of the other girls, she was not in heels. No, she was in floral Dr. Martens. Her black tulle skirt was wide and sat high on her hips, it's hem stopping mid-thigh. Her bustier was white with black straps and revealed much of her tummy. Her jean jacket polished off her look.

Her skin was a beautiful caramel color, her hair long, fading from a dark chocolate to a bronze color. The mic sat tightly in its stand, her fists balled, her eyes closed as she sang.

"And when you're crying out.
When you fall and then can't pick your happy off the ground
When the friends you thought you had haven't stuck around.
That's when you feel my kind of love.
You won't see me at the parties, I guess I'm just no fun.
I won't be turning up the radio singing, 'Baby You're The One.'
But don't ever question if my heart beats only for you, it beats only for you.
"

Norie finally opened her eyes as the cheers erupting from the audience got louder and she almost couldn't believe what was staring back at her. Three of the four judges had turned around, they were all smiling wide, all sitting on the edges of their seats. But as she continued to sing, each word making its way up from the very depths of her soul, she glanced over to catch a glimpse of Rowan, who was standing as close as she could without being on the stage. She was smiling wide, clapping along with the audience.

"And when you're crying out.
When you've fallen and can't pick your happy off the ground
When the friends you thought you had haven't stuck around.
That's when you feel my kind of love.
And when you've given up.
When no matter what you do it's never good enough.
When you never thought that it could ever get this tough,
That's when you feel my kind of love.
"

Calum had loved her voice from the very moment he heard it. But looking at her- well it sent his fluttering heart into over-drive. She was perfect, from her dark skin to her pink lips, and her bronze-like eyes. If he closed his eyes, he could have sworn she was singing to him.

"And when you're crying out.
When you've fallen and can't pick your happy off the ground
When the friends you thought you had haven't stuck around.
That's when you feel my kind of love.
"

The crow was on their feet, each and every person filled with the same warmth as she finished out the song, her arms raised high as her fists bounced with the drums as she sang every last word like it was straight from her heart.

"And when you're crying out.
When you've fallen and can't pick your happy off the ground
When the friends you thought you had haven't stuck around.
That's when you feel my kind of love.
'Cause when you've given up.
When no matter what you do it's never good enough.
When you never thought that it could ever get this tough,
That's when you feel my kind of love.
I won't be turning up the radio singing, 'Baby You're The One.'
But don't ever question if my heart beats only for you, it beats only for you.
"

Her eyes were still closed, and she only dared to open them as the lights flashed back on.

Norie watched as the fourth and final chair spun, each judge now on their feet, clapping along with the audience. It took a moment before they were finally quiet enough for them to speak, the boy with hair pink like candy-floss- the last to turn around leaned in, "What's your name, love?"

"Norie Parker," she spoke, her hands now shaking.

"Well Norie- I'll be honest! I didn't turn because these three already had and there's no way I'll win you!"

Norie giggled, as the other three spoke to each other before they all fell back into the respective seats, the one whose name-tag read 'Ashton" leaning in to speak. "Well first, Norie, that was brilliant love!"

Norie could hardly contain herself as her heart fluttered in her chest, her dimples going even deeped as she smiled.

"We uh- we discussed it, Cal turned around first so we're givin' him first dibs here!"

Calum took a visibly deep breath as he finally moved forwards, both his elbows resting on his knees. "Norie-" his voice shook with nerves, "I am completely in love with your voice, and I would be honored if you'd be on Team Calum-"

Luke leaned into the mic, his smile mischievous as he spouted: "he'll be completely gutted if you tell him 'no',"

Norie took a deep breath before stepping close to the mic, "I'd love to..." the audience cheered as Calum's cheeks went the color of a tomato.

"Well then, welcome to Team Calum, love."
♠ ♠ ♠
AH. I'm sososososo excited for you guys to catch a glimpse of Calum and Norie.
I've got so much planned for them!

Also, if you're interested, the song Norie sings is "My Kind of Love" by Emeli Sandé, though I imagined it to be the remix, which you can listen to here.

As always, thank you so much for reading. It means the world!
We would love to hear from you. (:

-Becca