Awakening

Changing

Dawn awoke to the sun beating on her face. The place beside her was untouched; Troy hadn’t come to bed last night. She’d gotten up twice to feed Claire and both times she’d found Troy in the dark lounge staring off into space with a glazed over distant look. She’d called out to him several times but had given up when he hadn’t replied.

Dawn sat up and stretched before listening to the baby monitor. Clairy was sound asleep, making Dawn relax. She got up and glided down into the kitchen, searching for any sign of her peculiar acting husband. Dawn spotted a piece of paper and read it.

‘Dawn, I’ve gone for a run.’

She read and reread the blunt answer before scrunching it up and tossing it in the bin. Her usually relaxed facial expression changed subtly. Her eyebrows furrowed and she bit her lip, and she was staring out into the vivid green background of forestry. Her worry wasn’t based on the fact that her husband was out for a run. It was at the fact he’d gone and it was barely 7:00 am in the morning or perhaps it was the fact that he’d been acting distant last night.

“Maybe I’m just over-thinking things” She thought out loud while making breakfast for herself and Clairy but she couldn't stop that nagging feeling that all was not as it seemed.

Things were changing.