Status: Writing as I go; don't expect that many frequent updates, but expect them to come faster than most of my other stories.

Planet Arcadia

Chapter I

I felt the Pelican rock under me, constantly making me and my squadmates sway in our seats. The mouth of it was open, giving us a view over the desolate cityscape we just left behind. Our CO was trying to give out orders, but with the buzz of side conversations, the action unfolding below us, and the engines of the Pelican, his voice was lost from me. I kept my eyes focused on the dwindling city in the distance as its fires raged and buildings collapsed under their own weight.
It felt like I was sitting there staring for an eternity, but soon I felt the Pelican start its descent; I saw the main thrusters point at a slight upward angle, pushing the large vehicle earthward. A faint word from my CO caught my ear, causing me to tune in to his conversation more excitedly. “…Spartans on the ground. They will be fighting alongside you, and will be working as your ground support. At times they will take reign over you as a Commanding Officer; you are to follow their orders like they were mine. Understood, gentlemen?”
Everyone chimed in a ‘Yes, sir.’ “Good. Now, we’ll be making three drops, you should all remember your teams. Alpha will insert down near the plaza and will work crowd control for the remaining civilians. Make sure you get as many as you can out alive. Bravo, you will be dropping down in a major hellhole; right in the thick of it. Your job is to make the other two teams’ lives easier. Charlie, you will be overwatch for both teams as well as overwatch for the marines at the escape birds. If even one Grunt gets past, it could spell disaster. Make every shot count.” He turned to the pilot, barking some inaudible orders before turning back to us. “Bravo, get ready; we’re dropping first.”
Several of my squadmates gathered up their weapons and helmets, making their way to the mouth of the Pelican, where I was sitting. One I didn’t recognize, a shaky guy, gave me a nervous smile, which I returned with a nod. As soon as the ground came up under the Pelican, everyone in Bravo team piled out, our CO shouting one final order to everyone on board;
“I will not lie to you all; this isn't going to end well. Many of you will die; many more will wish you did. I need you all to be strong; even if you die, your life will have helped to save the thousands of civilians. I won’t be giving you any more orders. I’m limiting my command to Bravo team, but I expect you all to follow what orders I've given you so far. Understood, marines?”
We all didn’t show it when we returned our ‘Yes, sir’s, but we were all choking up on the inside. Gunnery Sgt. Graham had been here longer than any of us, kept us strong in tough situations. He’d always been an optimist, telling us that we’d all make it out alive. And here he is, now, telling us how certain our doom is.
With my final dreary thoughts, our old CO banged on the side of the Pelican and stepped back. I felt it lurch upward, soon obscuring the Gunnery Sgt. from my sight while also leaving a pit in my stomach. I watched as Bravo team’s members shrunk smaller and smaller until I couldn’t tell them apart from the other marines and civilians near them. I watched several dots fall, praying that none of them were apart of Bravo.
♠ ♠ ♠
Doing my best not to use any actual characters from the Halo series; I don't want someone commenting about how bad I screwed up with the chronological order of the Halo books or games. If I do make a mistake, or include a character that was actually used, please send something my way so I can fix it. I need a little bit more help on this than my other stories, and any help is appreciated. This is also a step of what I normally write, so it's a bit of an experience for me; I'm used to making something horrific and slow-paced or fast-paced and terrifying. This is more of a fast-paced, roller coaster of what will be full of action and tragedy. Just bear with me on this.