Status: Completed! ... Just uploading on here :)

Hold On

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Harry,” Liam rested a hand on my shoulder, “You should really get some air.”

I just shook my head at him. He and the others were going to stretch their legs and get some fresh air. I knew that he was right, but I couldn’t leave her like this. We had been here for at least five hours, and Sarah had shown no signs of waking up. I was terrified.

“Come on, Harry.” Louis said as he rested his hand on my other shoulder, “It will help.”

I just shook my head again.

“But Harry…” Louis started.

I felt Liam’s hand leave my shoulder, “Just come on.”

Louis’s hand left my shoulder before I listened to the sound of their footsteps receding. I leaned forward and put my head in my hands. Letting out a sigh, I ran my hands over my face and through my hair. I looked back over at Sarah. She looked so peaceful, and that’s what scared me.

‘Stop it, Harry!’ I yelled at myself. ‘Sarah hates to see you sad!’

I took a deep breath. I had to hold myself together. When Sarah woke up, I didn’t want her to see me worried. She always hated it when I worried.

She had told me about it in middle school. I had disappeared after some kids were making fun of me, because I loved singing. They were calling me some rather nasty names. I had been hiding under the bleachers when she found me.

“There you are.” She said, “I’ve been worried sick.”

I didn’t even bother to look up at her as she came over. I turned my face away from her as she sat down. I had been crying and I didn’t want her to see.

“Harry,” she said her soft voice, “Look at me.”

I couldn’t say no to her, so I turned and looked at her. She sighed as she reached over and began erasing the tear tracks from my face.

“Don’t listen to a word those jerks say. If you want to sing, then you sing.” She had a kind looked in her eyes, “They’ll be jealous when you’re famous.”

I chuckled, “Like I’ll ever be famous.”

“You don’t know,” she sat back, “You could be.”

“I’m not even that good,” I looked down.

“Bullshit!” Sarah exclaimed. This had shocked me. I had not expected her to say that. I looked over see her staring at me.

“Harry, you are an amazing singer.”

“How do you know?”

“Do you honestly think I have never heard you sing?” she looked at me in disbelief. “I have known you for years, Harry. Whenever you hear a song you know, you start humming to it.”

“Do I really?” I looked at her.

She nodded, “Yes, you do.”

I looked down and chuckled, “I didn’t know.”

“If you sing half as good as you hum, you’ve got it made.” She smirked.

“Do you really think so?”

She thought for a moment, “Well the only way I can be sure is if I hear you sing…”

“Sarah, I don’t know.” I looked away from her again. I thought I was no good, and I didn’t want to embarrass myself in front of my best friend.

“Please Harry.” She whined. I turned to her. She had to lower lip stuck out and was batting her long eyelashes at me. “For me.”

I hated it when she did that. She had learned over the years that I had a horrible time at telling her no, especially when she gave me that look.

“Fine,” I sighed.

She clapped as she sat up, giving me her full attention. I thought for a moment, trying to decide what to sing. I decided to go big or go home and sing “Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder. As I sang, a huge smile spread across Sarah’s face. Without warning, she lunged at me and hugged me.

“Harry,” she exclaimed, “You are amazing.”

I smiled, “Really?”

“Really.” She nodded, “If someone doesn’t sign you, then they are an idiot.”

I smiled widely. Sarah always knew how make me smile. Even when those bullies at school continued to bully me, Sarah was always there to cheer me up. She even threatened to “kick their punk asses” if they didn’t leave me alone. It made me so happy to see how much she cared. I loved that about her.

I looked up at her now. She seemed to be only sleeping, maybe she was dreaming of that day she stood up for me. I smiled a little. I would always love that memory, just like I loved the way she stood up for me or how she would pout to get a yes out of me.

I stopped and stared at Sarah. What was I thinking?