Status: Completed, with love

Coming Home

Pawn

The office was in chaos, people were running around waving the newspaper in the air like it was going to explode.

“Ratings have dropped! FF ratings have gone up!”

“Who the hell is Tobias?”

“Who cares? It’s the same reporter!”

Derrick had his head down in his office, trying to shut out the noise and chaos erupting around him. Jared has texted him about what Cassadee and Tobias had done and he hadn’t felt so conflicted about something in a long time. He wanted to strangle Tobias and kiss Cassadee at the same time. He didn’t like that she spent time alone with him, just like she had spent time alone with Derrick- did they use the Ls and Ps too?

It was such a childish mentality that thinking about it made Derrick’s head swim with annoyance.

Regardless, the article was nothing short of amazing. Only this time Derrick didn’t know which was real and which was fake. It was all part of the game, or politics. He didn’t think that it would matter because he only had one goal- which was to make his political experience count, and to make everyone happier and safer. It was so ambitious that when Derrick stopped to think about it, he felt that he could never surmount to such change- he felt that if he took the whole country and wound it around his pinky, he would explode.

He kept rereading the article, trying to find out what he liked so much about it. Maybe it was just her name, adorning the top of the page. So he read it once, twice and three times.

“Mr Summers is young and charismatic, there is no doubt that his time in the Founders Federation has indeed blessed upon him a wise head upon a very attractive physique.”

Derrick cringed at the sentence, hating the way she wrote it, like she was spiting him. But he knew better, he could see through the FF’s act, just like anyone else could see through NDP’s act. Young faces to draw in young votes- that was all.

“His tale is riveting, his words calm and poised. That of which I cannot fathom why Mr Summers seems to be sorely underestimated by other political delegates. I can only assume that is so because they are completely overwhelmed and committed to their servitude of the people.”

Derrick smiled at the last sentence again, reminded of her stubborn and indignant nature to stand up for what is right. She was brave, never hiding behind her words- coming out strongly using direct prepositions.

“Derrick,” came a detached voice as his office door swung open. Derrick looked up to see Vincent and strangely enough, his father.

“We need to talk,” said Vincent, his teeth gnashing together, clearly angry again. Derrick watched as Sampson placed a hand on Vincent, calmly guiding his advisor to sit opposite Derrick before joining him.

“We’re not sure what the FF’s been up to-“

“Actually, I don’t think the FF’s behind this,” says Derrick, a ghost of a smile playing on his face. Sampson looked at Derrick strangely, his iron-pressed suit crinkling slightly. Vincent just snorted.

“You’re right, it’s that girl.”

“Cassadee,” correct Sampson, clearing his throat awkwardly. It was funny to be talking about Cassadee in front of his father, who was well aware of Derrick’s relationship with her. Derrick watched as Vincent’s eyes snapped cautiously to Sampson, detecting a mild annoyance in his superior’s tone.

“She has become quite the people’s voice on politics,” commented Sampson. Derrick didn’t know if it was the light, but he saw a tinge of concern flash across his father’s face, it was something he didn’t appreciate.

“What are you saying?” asked Derrick, placing his arms placidly on the table, studiously trying to avoid Vincent’s poisonous glares.

“That you get into her good books again,” snapped Vincent. Derrick took the silence to shoot Vincent a look he had practised so hard in his growing years- that look that demanded people to shut up. He glared at Vincent until he felt the mousy man’s demeanour shrink uncomfortably before switching his look back to his father.

“What we’re saying son, is that- perhaps this could be a silver lining, you know. For NDP to gain political strength and stride amongst the people, especially the younger generation.”

Derrick looked long at hard at his father, trying to not to believe the persuasive and genial tone Sampson was using on him.

“I don’t see how your comment is different from Vincent's,” Derrick dead-panned.

“She’s just a girl! Sir, I don’t understand why we’re wasting so much time trying to persuade your son, who honestly, seems to be under-informed and unprepared over the weight of this election. All he needs to do is to hook her in-“

“Excuse me?” Derrick finally spoke. His eyes bearing into both his father.

“Vincent, I’d like to remind you that Derrick is still, my son- and I will be in no place to tolerate such undeserving comments from you to him. He may be inexperienced, but his presence has proven to be quite an enhancement to the NDP.”

Derrick felt his heart sink, in that way which made him feel sick to the stomach. Now he knew how Cassadee must have felt when she found out about their interview motives. She had claimed that she was just a stunt, and here Derrick was, listening to his father refer to him explicitly as an ‘enhancement’ as if there was no political weight in Derrick’s presence.

He watched as Vincent tried to control his tongue, while he proceed in clenching and unclenching his fists under the desk. Finally Vincent shot one last hopeless glare at Derrick before excusing himself from the room in the most strained and awkward manner.

“An enhancement?”

“Derrick, listen to me.”

“Am I some sort of intern? Because the last I remembered, interns don’t get offices and interns certainly don’t get sent to interviews with their ex-girlfriends,” Derrick replied. He knew he had struck a nerve when he saw Sampson’s eyes cloud over.

“As much as I admire your passion in leading the country, I always seem to forget that you are so young,” Sampson said. Derrick felt strangled by his father’s undulated presence and superiority and wanted more than anything, to just go back to putting his head on the table.

“Zeal comes at a price, and I am hoping Derrick, for your own good, that that price is not being so childishly involved in matters of the state. What we are asking from you is to simply reach out to Cassadee again to swing the votes in our favour.”

As much as Sampson tried to pepper his statement with rationality and vague terms, it was clear what the NDP wanted from Derrick. They wanted to use him to get close to Cassadee, in the hopes that any public appearances or future articles would put them in favour over the FF.

There was no point in arguing against the official advice (or command) from his father who led the party. Derrick knew that they had struck him where it hurt, and had provided no other means for him to say no. They were providing him with the professional and ideal opportunity to mend his relationship with Cassadee, there was nothing to lose.

But he would be using her, to get what the NDP wanted- to get what he wanted. He needed her trust again, but as much as he wanted the chance to love her again, he also wanted what was best for his political achievements and goals.

He couldn’t say no. It was a win-win situation. Derrick kept silent as Sampson scanned his son’s young face, detecting only neutrality and the tell-tale sign that his son was trying to sort his mind out.

“We’re counting on you son,” his father said before leaving the room.

Derrick knew everything was in his favour, but there was something very wrong about this.