What You Need

06

Ryan held my hand all the way back to Nashville, which there it was still snowing. Thoughts of last night kept flashing through my mind. And it didn't help that Ryan kept glancing at me, we didn't talk much. There was no need I suppose, it was in the air. I'm not sure what it was but it was there.

"Do you think it's possible for you come home with me for Christmas?" I blurted, without really paying attention.

"I'd love to." he smiled at me, it was getting harder and harder to breathe when he smiled. His blue eyes sparkling,

"Really? I mean Christmas isn't a big thing in your family?"

"Well, it is."

"Then you-" I started to say but he stopped me.

"But they'll understand, since you came with me for Thanksgiving." he smiled again. I just decidedlook back out the window, hoping my lungs would start pumping air back into my body.

"Besides, I'd love to meet your parents." I gave him a sharp glance. He'd take that back once he'd met them. He'd wish he were a more forceful boyfriend, and made me go home with him again. Or go by myself back home. I decided that the best way to hide my thought expressions on my face was to go back to looking out the window until we got home.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas was a week away, and I still hadn't got Ryan a present. It was hard, I didn't know what to get him. I had this bad habit of over analyzing a persons likes, and normally ended up just giving them a universal gift card. But it didn't seem like it should be so hard. I went to a local unique antique store, I almost felt bold enough to ask the clerk if there was a music section. But I saw the directions, they a lot of different things, vinyls and such. There was one that happened to be framed. It was The Beatles album Abby Road, and it had apparently been autographed by all of them. I'd heard Ryan sing along enough to them to know he somewhat idolized them.

"That's real you know." a beady eyed man said to me.

"How do you know?" I said examining the price. It was two hundred dollars,

"I own this store. Why would I try to scam people." he said with the most serious face I'd ever seen. And for some reason I believed him, and began to take the picture down. I turned to see that the man was gone, I shrugged and continued to see if there was anything else interesting and rare. There also happened to be an album signed by Peter Gabriel and Stevie Wonder. He somewhat idolized them too, at least through his music.

"Is that all for you?" the beady little man grinned at me.

"Yes." I smiled, five hundred dollars is what I ended up spending all together on Ryan. And I knew it was worth it. Maybe he would look at these and forgive me for having him come home with me.