The Deep End

Chapter 11

Austin shook Alan awake; he attempted to stir him gently but it didn't go as planned, the way his hands were shaking probably had something to do with it. As Alan's eyes opened, he made a mental note that he will be strong for Alan, because no doubt he would be having something close to a panic attack soon enough.

His mum's voice emitting from the kitchen seemed to register to Alan, and he sat bolt upright in under a second. They stared at each other with the hope that their friendship would make it out alive with the events that were undoubtedly going to occur any second now.

Alan's mum peered round the door at the two of them, sat on the sofa with the Goth guy from next door squeezing Alan's shoulder in....comfort? Alan nodded at the man's near mute words and pulled him into a swift hug. Deciding this was her time to break up the affection, she walked in and stood in front of them both, wearing a less than pleased expression. Alan started the conversation:

"Uh, hi mum, this is my friend, Austin." Alan put on a rather convincing smile, gesturing to the walking sketch book of a man sitting next to him. "Hello, ma'am." 'Austin' got up and held out his hand for her to shake; she did but with enough hesitation for it to be deemed insulting. "Well, if you wouldn't mind, 'Austin', could you leave so I can have a word with my son?" He nodded, before shooting her son a look that she couldn't even begin to comprehend, and left the house, not daring to hug Alan goodbye.

"Alan, honey, would you care to explain to me, why when your Dad and I leave you for only a few hours, there is some random man in our house?" Holding his hands up in an 'I surrender' sort of way, Alan explains:
"He isn't random; he is my friend."
"Are you sure about that Alan? Jus- wait, listen to me- think of everything you have done together, and tell me whether or not they can only be classed as things 'friends' do?"
"We haven- we didn't do anything, mum. I know what you are thinking, just trust me for once, he is my friend and he is too good of a person to do something like that."
"So he has never once taken advantage of you? Never?"
"No, I already told you, mum."
"I'm just worried for you, Alan. And don't you dare think for one second that I will not be discussing this with your dad. Until your dad and I come to some sort of conclusion on the matter, you will not be able to see 'Austin' again. Do I make myself clear?"
"Yes, mum." Alan mumbles, not allowing himself speak anymore for fear of his anger taking over and it ending in an argument.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was around 11:30 pm when Alan's father came into his room. He did his best to look asleep, hoping to avoid a lecture from his father too. Alan has to give him credit; his dad isn't half as blind as his mum is. "Alan?" He perched on the edge of his bed, waiting for son to realise that he wasn't a fool. Alan finally gave up and sat up silently, anticipating the onslaught of 'don't you dare speak to him or anyone like him again' and ' I expected more of you''s but they were never delivered.

"Alan, please be honest with me, do you like Austin?" His dad asked in a surprisingly hushed, soft tone. "Yeah." Alan answered weakly, not making eye contact with his dad. "No, Alan, I mean do you like LIKE him?" Alan looked up, utterly astounded, sure he expected his parents to think Austin liked him and was taking advantage of him, but he never expected them to think that he was actually returning the feelings. He hoped his blush wasn't obvious in the dark. He opened his mouth to speak but all that came out was a big load of nothing. "I'm not going to lie to you Alan, I can guess from the answer that you do like him, if this gets out to people your life will be hard. I was in a similar situation when I was your age so I can empathise." Alan's eyes were practically bulging out of his skull.

His dad; liking another guy? Well shit, that was a plot twist.

"A similar situation?" Alan squeaked. His dad continued in his soothing tone:

"Well, I didn't have a crush on the neighbourhood Satanist but I was attracted to a member of the same sex, a friend also, and my parents did find out. I suppose because I was interested in both genders I found it easier to ignore my liking for males, but it was still the single most terrifying period in my life. Then I met your mum, and I didn't have to fight myself anymore, because we were meant to be and I didn't need to think about attractions for people other than your mu-"
"Hate to break it to you, dad, I'm gay. I don't have any other attractions to 'distract' myself."
"What I'm really trying to tell you is, I fought it when I was your age because for some people it is just a test, like it was for me. I knew I wasn't meant to spend the rest of my life with a man. I fought it because it wasn't me." Alan's throat went dry, his eyes began to sting slightly in the corners and his vision was a blurry mess of darkness. If it had been anger that his dad was expressing, he could have fought back; anger always creates a reflection of itself in the opponent. Disappointment however, he had never felt more like shit in his life.
"I'm sorry, I'm not strong enough to do that, dad, I can't figh-"
Alan's dad wrapped a strong arm around his son. "Alan, please don- Alan, calm down, it's okay. I suppose I didn't word it as well as I should have. What I'm trying to say is, if it's not a test, I am okay with that. Whatever makes you happy, as long as you aren't achieving happiness at someone else's expense; I am fine with it. Your mother and the majority of the neighbourhood, however, may not see it that way." Alan nodded, and offered a watery smile to show that he understood what his dad was, rather poorly, attempting to say.

"It's okay Alan; it's all okay." They sat side by side for a few minutes with his father's arm around him, Alan leant his head on his shoulder and fell asleep with the comfort that at least one half of his parents weren't disappointed with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the lovely comments, recs and views everyone c: Haha Alan's dad was a bit of a plot twist; I wanted Alan to have at least one person to support him c: