The Deep End

Chapter 17

Alan was stolen from his slumber by his mum, complaining that he was going to be late for the church fair. Fucking hell, this was going to be a long day. Alan could see it all now, old people that would pinch your cheek and squeal about how young you were when they last saw you, as if you would actually remember; children screaming and a hall crowded full of judgemental, bible humping people. Dear lord, give him mercy.

Still, it wasn't as if he had any plans for today anyway. Still, running a stall instead of lying in bed all day, being able to think of Austin in any way he pleases within the privacy of his room was kind of shit. However, his mum was unstoppable and so he had no choice but to partake.

-

Alan ended up running the cake stall, which was probably the nicest since he got to talk to shy children and grandparents and they were preferable to middle aged adults. He wore one of Austin's hoodie to the fair, to make him feel less lonely with something of Austin's close to him. It happened to be a My Chemical Romance one, and it sent a flood of disapproving looks his way but Alan couldn't fathom a fuck to give.

He couldn't risk thinking of Austin in public situations; he sometimes got all flustered and would stutter. Honestly, his mind was a wreckage of explicit gayness and cats, and he liked it that way, no way was anyone going to salvage him. He was already two hours in when he started to get bored, and began to let other people's conversations flow into his ears.

"Then Margaret sai-"

"Benjamin, don't d-"

"-at Goth that lives near Patricia, I heard from my daughter that he was gay."

Well, that caught his attention. He looked towards the people holding the conversation. Two women in their late thirties, they seemed slightly familiar, they probably go to church regularly but Alan has never really cared enough to fully realise of their existence. he listened with complete focus on their words.

"Really? He doesn't look like one of them, but I suppose the weirdoes always are."

"Yeah, they just want rebellion and sin. God, I hope none of my children end up like one of those,"

"I totally agree with you. I would be so distraught, never having grandchildren."

"Don't worry, Katie. You're a good parent; the kids will never turn out like that."

"Uh, look at him. Smiling like he don't know what he's playing at. He's just playing a game."

Alan's heart started to beat twice as fast, was Austin was here?

He looked over in the direction of their gaze, and they were right, Austin was here. He was smiling and buying some fudge like the utter goofball he was. God, this man was the human equivalent of a teddy bear, why did it seem like no one else could see this?

Austin walked over, browsing through the stalls, while Alan served people with his attention half on the customers, half on Austin out of the corner of his eye. Austin approached him and as if they had never spoken before and Alan totally wasn't wearing his hoodie and asked:

"Can I have a lemon one, and err..." Austin gave Alan a deep look and licked his lips as if he were contemplating something. Alan flushed red in a matter of seconds. "A chocolate one." Alan rushed to get the order, and their hands made contact when he handed over the bag and Austin gave him the money. "I must say, this is a lovely fair, but do you know where the toilets are?" Austin asked him with a sly smile. Alan's ears were burning, his thoughts were fuzzy and panic ridden, like they were set on fire.

"Uh, go through that door," Alan pointed to a door opposite them. "Then take the first left and you should be there." Austin thanked him, and Alan added whilst they were exchanged lingering, homosexual stares: "If you have any trouble finding anything, just ask me."

"Oh, I will." Austin left with a fleeting wink. Alan let his eyes wander to his boyfriend's body as he walked away.

In opposite corner of the room, two people were conversing over the interaction between Alan and Austin. One of them, a nineteen year old girl, commented "Do you think they were flirting?"

"What? What made you think they were?" Her friend asked her in a murmur, the accusation seeming too scandalous to be talked about openly.

"That ginger boy was blushing an awful lot, and did you see how long they were staring at each other for, it was beyond something strangers would do. And I swear the ginger boy's eyes kept on wandering to the man's body." Her friend's eyes widened at the appalling idea, it seemed almost too explicit to think about.

"That's appalling."

"I know right. I was surprised but when I noticed there was no denying it. I could expect the man to be interested in someone so vulnerable and easy to manipulate, but the fact the boy actually seemed interested too grossed me out."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long to update. I was on holiday and then I kind of had loads of homework to catch up on. As always, criticism and the like are welcome :) Have a great day everyone!