‹ Prequel: Spark in the Dark

Falling for You

Memory

“Do you remember that time you broke my arm when we were younger?” Jack asked, virtually out of the blue with voice monotone, and he glanced over just in time to see Alex’s face darken with embarrassment.

The elder shook his head nonetheless, muttered out an almost inaudible, “I honestly have no fucking clue what you’re talking about.”

“Sure you do!” Jack chirped, sitting up in bed and turning so that he was facing his boyfriend completely, his long, thin legs crossing in front of his equally as lanky body.

“Dude, there’s no fucking way you could get to the top of that tree before I could!” a sixteen-year-old Jack exclaimed, slight bewilderment tinting his words. “It’s only like, twice my size, and I’m like fuckin’ Spider-man or some shit!”

“You’re, like, an entire two inches taller, and that doesn’t mean you’re any faster than I am,” Alex retorted with a scoff, eye roll going along to match with his tone and utter indifference to the kinda-sorta challenge. “It all depends on arm strength, and I could bench press you a hundred times before those stick arms of yours could even lift a rock. You’ve got, like, chicken legs for arms or something, since your thighs are too fucking fat.”

“Yeah, because you’re really one to talk,” Jack snapped back, hand reaching out to poke and prod at the other boy’s upper leg. “And your ass is pretty damn big, too.” A small pinch was placed on Alex’s backside, and he jumped from his best friend’s touchy-feely hands, smacking the younger away when Jack laughed at his reaction and tried to move closer.

“What, are you gay for me or something?” the elder inquired. “Because this ass is too high maintenance for you.” He turned his back to Jack with that, hands moving down and making a show of covering and squeezing at his own jean-clad bottom.

“But, Lexy,” Jack drawled, successfully jumping on the older—and very distracted—teen’s back, pressing a wet, sloppy kiss on the other boy’s cheek, “I’m so in lesbians with you!”

“Fuckin’ nasty fuck,” Alex grumbled quietly to himself as his left hand moved to wipe off his face, his right reaching around to hook under Jack’s leg and adjust him accordingly. “’Lesbians’ is a big word,” he declared very seriously, “and I’m not quite ready for that step with you yet. Just say you’re madly in love with me instead.”

“Can’t help how I feel, bro,” Jack replied. “Now put me down; I’m gonna climb that tree.”

With a sigh, Alex did as requested of him, only to have Jack shove him forward right after his feet had touched the ground. All he heard was a pretty feminine, even for Jack, giggle, a gleefully shouted proclamation of, “Last one to the top has to suck the winner off!”

And, really, Alex hadn’t planned on sinking so low and giving into his best friend’s extremely childish, outrageously ridiculous challenge, but that was ten minutes prior, before the younger had brought out his slightly competitive side.

By the time Alex was stably on his feet once more, Jack had already made it to the base of the tree, hands reaching up for some of the lower branches.

The elder, despite Jack’s size and rather unfair advantage, was faster—due to the fact that he wasn’t even half as lazy as the other young teen—and had caught up in what was almost no time at all.

At about halfway up, which was really no more than ten feet off the ground in total, Jack decided to start playing dirty again, and he reached out for Alex’s ankle when he felt it was safe enough to do so, giving a sharp tug.

The action only caused Alex to gasp and tense, fear shooting through his veins at the thought of falling, no matter how low the drop, but his grip on the branch above his head didn’t slip and instead curled impossibly tighter around it. If anything, it only delayed Alex’s movement long enough for Jack to take the lead, laughing airily the rest of the way up.

When Alex made it to the top branch—well, the highest branch that could safely support both of their weight—he had a scowl on his lips, deep glare clouding his dark eyes.

"God damn cheater," he snapped as Jack laughed, shrugged.

"I had to win; I'm not gay enough to stick your dick near my mouth." Lie.

"What makes you think I am? I'm, like, thirty times straighter than you!" Sort of lie.

"Not with hair like that," Jack snickered, hand reaching out to twirl a few chucks of the elder's sandy locks.

And something in Alex—probably the sore loser—seemed to only get more pissed off with the younger, and he shoved the other boy's hand away, which, in turn, caused Jack to lose his balance on the branch and fall from it.

Twenty feet.

To the ground.

What had happened didn't fully register with Alex until he heard a cry of, "Mother-fucking cock-sucking titty-licking bitch!" which totally would've been really fucking funny any other time, but fuck, he just pushed his best friend out of a fucking twenty foot tall tree.

Looking down, Alex was able to see Jack lying on the ground, and it looked like his arm was twisted at an odd angle beneath him. If he listened closely enough, he could hear pained sobs surrounding even more muttered curses.

The elder scrambled down as quickly yet carefully as he could, heartbeat loud in his ears and almost drowning out all of the noise Jack was making down below.

"Shit, dude," was all he could say—well, murmur—when he reached ground level once more.

Jack was busy trying to sit up, and you could clearly see where the bone had been snapped, just below his elbow. It didn't pierce through the skin, thankfully, but it was already swelling up more than a fucking balloon, bruising a grotesque mix of black, purple, and blue. He was crying, of course he was, but who wouldn't be?

Alex was freaking out even more on the inside as he rushed over and helped his younger friend into a sitting position, trying to be careful as he moved the broken arm from behind Jack's back and to his front. It only resulted in a strangled scream and even more tears, but Alex knew he had to get it somewhat normal before they could progress on.

When the arm was laying along Jack's front, cradled there with nothing holding it in place, Alex got a better look. Scratches were hardly visible over the bruising, a—


"Okay, that's enough," Alex huffed, not wanting to remember anymore of how he'd kinda really fucked up the younger boy's arm.

"I'm just getting to the good part, shut the fuck up," Jack hissed, reaching out to shove at his boyfriend.

"It's not eve—"

Alex didn't know what to do to get Jack to relax. He knew there wasn't much pain, due to the fact that there was no doubt adrenalin coursing through both of their veins, and while that should've been something of a comfort, it just had him feeling even more sick.

If the pain Jack was dealing with then was enough for him to full-on sob, Alex didn't even want to know what it'd be like when he could actually feel again.

"Shit, okay, uh," Alex stuttered, mind drawing useless blanks as he tried to figure out a way to get Jack to calm down so that they could go for help.

"Fuckin' hurts," Jack whimpered, free hand moving to wipe at his face.

"I know, fuck, I know, um... You gotta, you just gotta take a breath and try not to think about it, okay?" Alex instructed, though he wasn't sure that would help at all.

"How the hell do you want me to not think about it? My fucking arm is broken, my entire body is sore, I'm surprised my nose isn't bleeding, my brain feels like it was moved too much... Fucking hell! Why the fuck did you do that?!"

"I didn't mean to! I wasn't thinking!" Alex defended, as though that were a viable excuse, which, hello, it really wasn't.

Jack didn't say anything, just closed his eyes and grit his teeth, working on evening out his breathing. His own pained choking noises, however, kept bringing him back to reality, and it was all a futile effort.

Alex was still busy trying to think of a distraction, but he could only think of one: kiss the younger.

There was the problem of it being the most cliché scenario ever, and the fact that they both weren't gay. What would Jack do? Would it just be weird? Would it be enough of a distraction?

As the younger went to mutter out another good, randomized handful of curses, Alex cupped his jaw and leant in, pressing their lips firmly together.

Jack tensed in his hold, letting out a squeak of pain as the muscles in his arm contracted, but he soon relaxed into it, pushing his lips back against his best friend's, tears still streaming down his face.


"I'm beginning to think that the point of this isn't to make me remember when I broke your arm..." Alex trailed out, looking over to the taller male and quirking an eyebrow accusingly.

"You're right," Jack answered, patting his thigh affectionately. "It's to totally remind you that you're more of a fag than I am."

"I am not!" Alex defended. "You kissed back!"

"But you kissed me first," the younger chimed in smugly.

"Yeah, well now you're stuck dating me; who's the real loser here?"

"Never said you were a loser," Jack answered with a shrug, leaning over and collapsing onto the elder, who was spread out on the right side of the bed. Alex didn't respond, just pulled him closer and nuzzled his nose in Jack's flat black-and-blonde hair, inhaling deeply. It was silent for another few moments before Jack muttered, "But you still owe me a blowjob because I totally beat you to the top of that tree."
♠ ♠ ♠
so i put a link to the collection in the summary--just in case you missed that--so if you're, like, new or trying to find one or something, you can just go there. they're all in order and stuff, too, and i update the list thing whenever i post a new one so woo~
should i leave a link in every summary or like every five or????
still can't believe you all like Spark in the Dark so much tho like o
which brings me to, thanks for commenting: alltimelcw, alltimelesbians, sarabethg99, notabletoconnect, trottablogga, Jalex_stronghammer, brileigh and kickthepj!
love you all!